1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Want to resign after a short time in a new school

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by cmbb, Oct 17, 2015.

1. cmbb

cmbb New commenter

Hi Theo,

I am an experienced HoD in a new school, and I think it isn't the place for me. Most of my classes are far more challenging than I'd expected. I've been given support but many of the suggested solutions simply go against the grain for me: I feel like it's about crowd control and teaching in sound bites. I was very successful in my past school ( which wasn't the easiest, either), and exam results improved considerably by the time I left. That was achieved by a real team focus on setting high academic expectations and promoting a genuine love of Literature: I was lucky to work in a place where that was possible, despite the pressures we all face. I know it's early days, but I do think this isn't the school for me. My question is, how much might it count against me, if I leave at Easter or the end of the year? I've never left a job after a year or less before. I'm usually tenacious, but life is short and blood pressure high....

Thank you in advance for your advice.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I thought from reading your title that you were thinking of the October 31 deadline, or even walking out now! Then I started reading, and saw you are a HoD; my heart sank even more.

My apologies for misjudging you!

The issue is simply: will you get another school interested in appointing you for next Easter, or better still, next September. Assuming that you can bear it that long . . . Because you can't leave without another post.

The answer is: not if you are running away. They will be interested in you going TO them, not you going FROM your current post. And they will expect to see that the time in your current school, however short, has not been wasted.

So what can you do in this school in the short term that will act as a propellant out?

Best wishes

3. wanet

wanet Star commenter

When you are new students will challenge you. It will take time for you to overcome this. You are likely to find this again if you move schools.

4. bettsieboo

bettsieboo New commenter

I too am in a similar position, having being a successful HOD in a previous school that in its early days was very similar to where I am working now. I have now taken on a new HODs role in a challenging school, where I thought I could make a difference with the support of like minded other staff. I have support but the work ethos of students or lack of it is ingrained and this has been an issue over a number of years. Student numbers are low and from open evening I can'tsee them improving. I am actively looking for a new position and not entirely sure if it will be a HOD but whilst there my feeling is I will keep trying to make a difference even if small and those challenging students I may have a break through with eventually. It's testing me and no matter how long any of us have been teaching it's like being an NQT once more. I am going to use this experience and take it forward into my next role because from every job I have had its the experiences that you gain that make you a better teacher and what other future employers will see on your application. We all have a story, it's just some chapters are a lot shorter than others. Keep going and nothing is insurmountable and don't lower your standards.

TEA2111 likes this.
  5. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

I moved schools and knew within weeks I'd made a horrible mistake. I don't think there's any shame in acknowledging that the school and you aren't a good fit. I wish I had, rather than staying years and becoming ill as a result.

6. Freudster

Freudster New commenter

It happened to me as well. I left a contract earlier this month but, thankfully, I was employed through supply. I don't want to go into detail, and at this point I would like to say I am not proud of myself, but I walked out of the class mid morning and the building at lunchtime. I've done some booked day to day supply but I'm in tatters. I feel simple retail work calling after being told by the head as I left you're a very good teacher .... I thought thank you but I'm one with no confidence now . My advice is to think very carefully. I was fortunate enough to have the agency behind me. Good luck but put your health and happiness first.

7. opalfeet

opalfeet Occasional commenter

Happened to me too :)