1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Want to quit NQT year and never teach again...

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by Keep_hope_alive, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Keep_hope_alive

Keep_hope_alive New commenter

Hi everyone,

This is my second post where I previously posted about having a difficult time in my PGCE in the summer and struggling to find a job.

I did manage to find a job and I'm now an NQT about to finish my first term- 2 weeks until the Christmas break. However I am deeply unhappy and exhausted even crying about returning to work on Monday. I have concluded that I don't think teaching is for me. Although I have had some highs, I have had multiple lows and I'm not even being my best where I feel like I've got nothing to give these kids. I work in a secondary school btw. I am physically and mentally drained and I just want to quit as I don't think I will return to teaching after NQT. However I want to quit now especially as although I can see a future in education i don't want to be a teacher anymore.

If i was to hand in my resignation before Christmas could I get released Feb half term. Or would I really have to stay until April which is basically the whole year. I don't know If I can endure that long. I feel so trapped and do not remember the last time I was genuinely happy.

Robak1991 likes this.
  2. agathamorse

agathamorse Occasional commenter

You would need to talk to your head to see if they would be willing to release you early, otherwise it's the end of the Easter holidays. If the job is making you ill, go see your GP and get signed off. You can resign when off sick.

3. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Autumn terms are always horrendous. Once you get into January it all gets easier. Short half term start, lighter evenings, more holidays and bank holidays - you’ve done all the hard work. Get your NQT year finished. If at Feb half term you are still like this you can hand in your notice and complete the NQT and leave at the same time.

Keep_hope_alive and agathamorse like this.
  4. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

exactly as @agathamorse says

don't worry, you will fine once you are out, and there will be another job for you

best wishes.xx

5. Keep_hope_alive

Keep_hope_alive New commenter

Thank you everyone! I am trying to push on until Christmas and things will hopefully be better as you've said next year as it is truly the hardest term! I did want to at least complete my NQT year after all. However, I am having more boundaries with myself and looking after my mental health starting with trying not to take work home which is hard as it is endless!!

agathamorse and MrMedia like this.
  6. thetapdancingteach

thetapdancingteach New commenter

I am exactly the same! I had decided a few weeks ago to see this year and next year through and then start looking for something else, but now I'm not even sure I'll make it to the end of this year! My department are great- all really supportive- it's just horrendous at the moment. I'm also hoping it gets better after Christmas, (although one particularly ****** member of SLT told me today she thinks the spring term is the hardest for NQTs- cheers!) but honestly I think the biggest challenge is going to be actually dragging myself back in in January!
    Like you say, if resigning now means staying until Easter, that's basically the whole year done, only without actually getting the pass at the end of it which just seems like such a waste! Just gotta power through I suppose! :)