1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Want to quit NOW

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by hrcteach, Sep 24, 2019.

1. hrcteach

hrcteach New commenter

I've only just started but I feel like I literally cannot bear teaching another day. I'm in tears every Sunday, I throw up every morning with anxiety. I literally cannot eat lunch and have lost weight as a result. Teaching is just not for me.

I've made the decision to hand my notice in October half term. But what do I do until Christmas? It it acceptable to look for a new job? Can I request to be let out of contract due to the effect on my mental health?

Keep_hope_alive and pepper5 like this.
  2. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

Sorry you are feeling like this. You must speak to your mentor or the help line. Can you identify what is causing such anxiety?

agathamorse, pepper5 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. 50sman

50sman Senior commenter

Handing in notice at October half term means you will work until Christmas

You can look for any other job you want at any t8me - even today!

The downside is you cannot start it until January 1st

Having said that depending upon the school and the head they may wave this.

Look at your contract and talk to your union - good luck!I

laalaa_22, agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  4. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Go and see your GP. If you are throwing up, that is your body trying to tell you that you're not well. It sounds like you may need to be signed off to allow you to regain your health enough to make decisions.

"Literally cannot eat lunch" - if that's "too busy", then something has to change. You are entitled to a lunch break, and you should prioritise that. If it's more a case of how you feel, see my first paragraph.

If you are signed off, allow a little time before making any decisions - you have until 31st October to resign, and it may be that after some rest and getting things in perspective, you feel a little better about things. (Probably relatively unlikely, but even so, there's no rush.)

If you do come to the conclusion that you definitely want out, you resign with effect from 31st December (and assume that while you are still feeling terrible, you will be signed off, and that if you feel better enough to return you will at least be able to tick off the days until the end). However if you wanted, you could add "I would be willing to discuss earlier release from the contract if this would suit the school." That opens the way for them to release you early - which might suit them as then they can get on and make a permanent replacement.

If you're an NQT under normal pay and conditions, you get up to 25 working days sick pay. You can start looking for jobs to start after Christmas as soon as you like, but if they do agree to release you early, that means you can look for things which start earlier. The down side of being released early is sometimes that having a non-standard leaving date on your employment history can look worrying - but I don't think leaving an NQT post after one term looks much different to leaving after half a term - it's going to be clear it didn't work out.

5. laalaa_22

laalaa_22 New commenter

I'd like to send a private message - is that possible on here? I am in a similar situation to yours hrcteach….unfortunately!

6. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

Speak to your HT and ask to be released from your contract early. Find a kinder school.

7. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Lead commenter

technically you work until Christmas.

but in practice many teachers leave mid term

why would your school want you there until Christmas in this state? They may well agree to release you from their contract.

If they don't, go to your GP. You are not well enough to teach, you shouldn't have any difficulty getting signed off

Well done for having the strength to get out now. So many people get swept along reluctantly, then entrenched for years, and the longer you stay the harder it is to leave.

laalaa_22, Shedman and agathamorse like this.