1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Want to progress to ups2 but......

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by EBC, Aug 7, 2019.

1. EBC

EBC New commenter

Hi there,
    I have been on ups1 for quite a few years now. Been at the same school for 10 years. Aboyt two years ago, I applied for ups2, did the whole folder and evidence thing. If I remember correctly, It was declined, and the reason they gave was something along the lines of not contributing extensively, responsibility etc.

Fair enough.

I want to apply again. The thing is, it's a very small school. The dep head pretty much does everything.

What can I bring to the school? I can't run overseas trips, someone does that. Someone does the timetabling, someone runs the assessments...

I feel like there isn't anything that I can contribute. The dep head leads KS1 and KS2 so I can't come close to any smt role.

Any advice on how to approach them again about moving up to ups2 or what I can do to add 'significant value'?

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Talk to your head or deputy about it.
    Your appraisal meeting would be a good time to bring this up. Say that you'd like to move up the payscale next year and so would like to take something on this year. Ask for ideas and give some suggestions.
    What interests you? What do you think needs changing in your school to make it better?

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  3. DrJay

DrJay Occasional commenter

Move school if you can and negotiate salary. The year my school fails to move me up the scale, that year is when I pack up and leave.

4. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

The annual appraisal is definitely the forum for this. More importantly, why hasn't it been mentioned in the previous appraisal meetings? Without this carrot to dangle in front of you then what incentive is there to the meeting at all?

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

LOL!!
    Or it's the year you realise you are now officially an old grump who has reached the top of the pay scale and there is nowhere to go! :p
    The freedom to officially whinge and argue over everything in staffmeetings is quite liberating. :)

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  6. EBC

EBC New commenter

Thank you.

I never mentioned it in appraisal meetings begore because I didn't really see how I could offer anything new and I guess I was just a bit scared to admit this. I did however put it in the end of year one this year... So will def bring it up in September. I'd just like a chance to give it a go. I will mention it to head though as I feel the dep head/ my line manager--just ignores me.
    They may say and how do you want to contribute..... And honestly.... Im just not sure.... I feel after so many years I'm in a bit of rut.... But I'm not... I really want to give something a go!