1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Want to move to LT

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by dkarana, Nov 1, 2015.

1. dkarana

dkarana New commenter

Hi Theo,
    I have been reading your comments and trust that you can provide me the guidance I am seeking.
    I am a Physics Secondary teacher. I have taught for about 12years in different countries including India, UK, Australia.There has been gaps due to our relocation which happens due to my husbands posting.
    This has been a major disadvantage for my career.
    I now want to apply to a leadership position. Is there any particular course that I can do? I am currently in Cairo and will be here for at the most one more year or so. Not sure what our other destination would be.
    Please help.
    Thank you
    Deepti

2. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

This is probably worth putting on the overseas forum as well.

For me on first reading another problem you seem to have is that you are unable to give any assurances as to how long you can stick around in a position, due to you moving when it. Is deemed appropriate for your husband. It would help maybe if you could settle for a length of time.

dkarana likes this.
  3. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

@PollyPuddleduck is fine now and loving life. If they have not done their NQT year, or are teaching in a poor international school in the Middle East, and as john in Luton states good ones want experience, you may struggle to get back.

It may not be their intention now, but teaching is a long career. Greatest respect for someone like @the hippo but not everyone is going to do a whole career out abroad. Especially if you have family, partners etc.

Take @PollyPuddleduck advice with a pinch of salt...

4. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

Sorry, ignore the above. Been posted on wrong thread

5. dkarana

dkarana New commenter

Thank you DYNAM067,
    I am intending to settle now, most likely in India. I would be working in an international school as thats what my experience has been for the last few years.
    Any suggestions pl.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hullo there.

So you are currently in Egypt and about to relocate to India?

That means another short period in a school.

To be frank, a school hoping to appoint someone to a leadership position wants to see evidence of impact over a number of cohorts. And you cannot provide that.

As for courses for moving into leadership, either distance learning or in situ, I'm afraid that there are none.

So advice? Stay for 4-5 years in one school, raising achievement in your own classes, mentoring and supporting colleagues and volunteering for whole-school projects where your contribution can have a measurable impact.

Best wishes

7. dkarana

dkarana New commenter

Hi Theo,
    Thank you so much for taking time to respond to my query.
    I am currently in Egypt and would like to go back to India alone if I get a LT position.
    My husband will head to another country.
    I was hoping to study a course that would prepare me for the job. :(

Best regards

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I'm really sorry that I couldn't give you the answer that you wanted.

Best wishes

9. dkarana

dkarana New commenter

No problem Theo, Thank you for response. I shall find a way :)

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

(The missing thumbs up emoticon)