1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Want to move and teach in New Zealand - how??

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by wolls, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Just to add,

I'd posted this a while ago and had only read the first response as I didn't get any emails telling me about the rest of the answers. So thank you very much for all of the information! Will be based in Auckland, Sacred heart boys school in glendowie, anyone else around that area? The NZ TC accepted my recent disclosure (2months old) as a police check.
    All that I need to do now is find some work in England for sept/October and then a place to live in Auckland. Easy!!!

Thanks again.

Btw $5000 cha-Ching:)!!

2. polly.glot

polly.glot New commenter

Well done! We're in Auckland, so if there's anything I can do to help, let me know! Of course, there's always a bottle of the NZ sunshine chilling ...

3. mrswallow

mrswallow Occasional commenter

Visas? Essentially there seem to be three main ways. Or, at least there were three main ways four/ five years ago when I applied. *All info given will need to be independantly verified by checking on the website of NZ Immigration*
    1) Working Holiday Visa- essentially enables you to work for 11 months, stay for 23 months. Nice option if you want to travel round a bit and work about picking fruit and shovelling sh*t. I know of two people who have used it to teach for a year on a fixed term contract. If you get a permanent job, you can convert it to....
    2) Working-to-residency visa. I think (see note above) that if you have a job and hold it down for a certain amount of time, you can get residency. Tricky bit is getting a job without residency.
    3) Permenant Residency Visa. (PRV) Really tricky to get, but do-able. Helps if you have the right number of points. Points based on *deep breath* age, qualifications, relevent work experience, health, ability to fill in myriad forms and stuff, joining the NZTC and finally, NZ Immigration skills shortage list. You can also go down the route of shacking up with either a holder of a Permanent Residency Visa (aka the Mrs Swallow route..) or someone who holds a NZ passport.
    As far as I know, those are the three main routes that people take to get into NZ legally and stay here. The PRV is based on a points system and the goalpost are very moveable depending on the job market. If you have a skill they need, then you get more points. Now for the bad news...
    There is a recession on globally, and there are lots of kiwi teachers returning home to roost. There is a noticable decrease in teaching jobs becoming available at the moment and I don't think that any teaching roles or on the skills shortage list, so the points awarded are low and the points required are high. See note about out of date info at top of this post. So, that's the visa thingy sorted out.The NZ Immigration web site has all the answers and more.
    The job situation is variable, but seems to be 'challenging' at the moment. There will be jobs coming up soon and through to Christmas, but a lot of people are staying put. There don't seem to be many vacancies at the moment and there are lots of fresh, young, NZ trained teachers coming through. If you haven't got a visa yet, then getting a job is always going to be a challenge. Even with a visa it isn't easy.

4. mrswallow

*Bump* Sorry folks....

5. Can't believe it's been a year since I've been on here!! Time really does fly when you're having fun...!
    Well I kind of come bearing bad news for those of you wanting to join us over here in NZ. There have been significant changes to how Principals appoint teachers from overseas... This is taken straight from Teach NZ... (Sorry in advance for the giant text...)
    <h2>Principals need to be aware that, before they can appoint an overseas teacher from abroad, (other than holders of Australian citizenship or Permanent Residency), that teacher must be registered in New Zealand and hold appropriate Immigration status.

This can take the form of:</h2>
    • NZ citizenship
    • NZ Permanent residency
    • Work Visa
    • Young Person&rsquo;s Working Holiday Visa
    <h4>Note: It is illegal to employ an overseas teacher who does not hold one of the above.
    All levels of teaching have now been removed from Immigration New Zealand&rsquo;s Skills Shortage List. A school considering appointment of an overseas-trained teacher from abroad will need to show Immigration New Zealand that it is unable to appoint a suitable teacher with New Zealand registration who is a citizen or permanent resident.</h4>So the way that I got here can no longer happen, unless the Principal can prove that there were no teachers in NZ for the post. Unfortunately at the moment there are LOTS (and I mean LOTS) of teachers fighting over jobs. I know one school who advertised for a maternity cover - only 2 terms of work - and they had over 100 applicants...
    However - there may still be hope. There are always areas that people don't necessarily want to work in (areas of South Auckland / very rural areas) and I'm sure there will be some subjects in the secondary school sector who still struggle to find good quality teachers. Also in the Primary sector, there is still nothing that beats experience - so my advice would be to ignore all the jobs that say 'BT's welcome to apply / suitable for BT's' etc - as you can guarantee that there will be hundreds after those jobs. Look for ones who want experienced teachers.
    I still stand by my 'if it's meant to be, then you'll get here'... it will be 5 years this October that we got here - and we certainly have no regrets at all. In fact, we're going to be applying for NZ citizenship as soon as we can. After having a short trip back to the UK last year, (I'd forgotten how bloody far away it is!!) I was glad to be back 'home' in NZ. As lovely as it was to see friends and family - this place is where I belong!

6. South Auckland is a possibility, I am looking for a Head of Hospitallity, Second in English, Head of Science and Dance/Drama teacher. We are already readvertising the 2ic English due to low numbers and ended up disestablishing the Head of Social Studies position. There may be a job shortage but with no 'inner city' allowance etc kiwi teachers prefer to apply for less challenging positions. Papakura High School.

7. Well hello again people! Hope you are all well. It's almost 6 years since we made the big move - and the latest news is that my family and I are now New Zealand citizens! We had our citizenship ceremony a few weeks ago - so now we can have NZ passports. Very exciting! Still think moving here is the best thing we ever did - only wish we had done it sooner, so the kids could have had even more of their childhood here.

My son is just about to finish college and head off to uni (exams to pass first though!) and my middle child is about to finish her first NCEA year (GCSE equivalent) - so it's busy in the Steele household.

To those of you still working out a way to get here - keep on trying. It's pretty tricky at the moment, but there are always areas that have less interest than others,

Kia kaha!

J xx

8. mrswallow

Nice to hear the news.

We've not taken out citizenship yet, but we'll look into it n the new year, we have two children with dual nationality as both were born here.. it seems reasonable to join them in having two passports.

We've been back to the UK for two visits, but I have no intention of ever moving back there. If you are thinking of it, are in the process of doing it, or are just dreaming about it good luck and give it a whirl. I lurk on this forum a bit, and will do my best to give you advice as and when I see relevant posts.

9. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I have heard it on the grapevine that, as a general rule, property is VERY expensive in NZ, mostly thanks to rich Chinese buyers pushing up the prices. (Perhaps I am mistaken, but I seem to remember that the New Zealand government has introduced legislation to limit or stop house sales to foreigners because the property market has become so overheated.) Therefore if you are quibbling about the cost of a book or sixty pounds to get your qualifications approved, then you are going to freak out when you discover how expensive it is to buy a house there, assuming that you are actually allowed to buy a property in NZ as a foreigner.

I have met quite a few Kiwi teachers, while teaching in different international schools around the world, and they have all told me that in the Land of the Flightless Bird, the salaries for most teachers are pretty awful.

Yes, Scott34d, I have also posted a few times on here, passing out what little advice I could. I have put as much detail on my blog as I could, to try and answer or help those who are interested in coming to Bulgaria or teaching in China. Yes, I just try to help and it is not easy because the TES Moderators can get angry with you if they think that you are using this forum for advertising and plugging your website (something I would never do).

10. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Zombie thread alert!

11. mrswallow

Seems to have been bumped by the Hippo. There's a newer thread about living/ working in NZ on the forum, so he may have resuscitated this one to be helpful...

12. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

mrswallow, I did not intend to bring back "a thread from the dead", but yes, there is a newer thread on much the same topic.