1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Want to move and teach in New Zealand - how??

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by wolls, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Do you think it would have affected your settling in?

2. Hey everyone,
    I hope you don't mind me wading in with a problem of mine to do with my wife and I attempting to emigrate to New Zealand...?! You are all so knowledgeable and amazing, I thought you might be able to help ;o)
    We have submitted an Expression of Interest and we put down that my wife had a qualification in Early Childhood Education which is on the Long Term Skills Shortage List - giving us a crucial extra 10 points. We then recieved an Invitation to Apply with a bright pink sheet asking for evidence that my wife's qualification had been assessed as Early Childhood (0-5 years).
    However, when my wife's PGCE (Early Years) was assessed by the NZQA, they said it was comparable to a National Diploma in Education (Primary), rendering our bonus points a no-no. And our chances of getting to NZ shot to pieces.
    What can we do now?! Do we have any argument to say that the PGCE (Early Years (3-7 years)) could be assessed as an Early Childhood one? We can see the difference obviously and appreciate what they are saying, but they don't acknowledge the Early Years aspect of my wife's PGCE in the NZQA assessment at all.
    We are a bit stuck and are looking at other avenues, but I thought you clever lot might have a suggestion that we haven't thought of yet!
    Thanks all!
    Dan

3. Chrissi T

Chrissi T New commenter

Sorry Dan,
    I'm afraid i have no useful advice but thought i'd post to bump the thread and hopefully someone more knowledgable will have a look!

My news is that I am now officially registered as a teacher...just can't wait to get out there now! OH has already left to go but i'm stuck here seeing out the school year :-(

Seems like an age until i'm off.

4. Thanks for the effort, Chrissi T :eek:)
    Congratulations on becoming a registered teacher - that is great news! I bet you can't wait to get there - especially if the OH is already there...
    It's not that long until the end of the year; only two weeks until half term, and then its only Summer 2 til the summer holidays!
    Good luck
    Dan

5. Hi Dan,
    Two and a half years ago I was in the same position as you. Sorry but 3 - 11 doesn't qualify for Early Childhood Education over here as early Childhood is from 0-8.
    For me getting a job offer was the answer. However,to make the points valid you need to have an offer of a permanent teaching post. The Education Gazette is the place to look for jobs and you can access it on the internet. Schools here will recruit from overseas and some people have had phone interviews.
    What may work in your favour is that the Aussie budget is creating more jobs in the education sector which means some kiwis may hop over to Oz, leaving vacancies over here. In my experience teachers from the UK are looked on favourably.
    Good luck

6. mrswallow

mrswallow Occasional commenter

This may sound a little snobby, but I would steer clear of ECE if you are a qualified teacher. ECE jobs come up all the time, there are lots of vacancies BUT the positions tend to be for 'nursery nurses' and kindergarten staff rather than teachers.
    I'd re-read the form carefully and have a look to see if you can get extra points elsewhere first. I was six months short on work experience, but some of the work I did in residential homes counted and bumped me up. If it is verifiable and with children it may count. Additionally, keep scanning the Education Gazette website and keep grinding out the applications.
    In other news, Master S is doing fine, Mrs S has settled into Greymouth well and has found a round of baby swimming lessons, library stories, coffee mornings, music and movement and stuff to do, so if anyone is reading this speculatively and thinking 'Cor I fancy moving to NZ..' but is worried and little ones. Don't- there are plenty of things to do and ways of meeting people.

7. Any English teachers out there wanting to start 27th June?

8. Hi,

I'm really struggling to get a job over in New Zealand - ideally in the Canterbury region of South island. I have had my qualifications assessed and am registered by the teachers council (provisional) over there too. I regularly look on the Education Gazette site and apply for jobs but just don't seem to get anywhere. I am a primary trained teacher who has also had experience with of working with dyslexic children.

Do you think I have any realistic chance from the UK of a job on South Island or should I try and seek work in Auckland. We are looking at South island because hubby is trying to find a job over there too but his job opportunities seem to be coming from South island area you see.

Thanks for any advice.

9. mrswallow

Based on observations made over the last two and a bit years, I would say that you may struggle a little bit to get a job in the Canterbury region for two main reasons, firstly people like the area, so tend not to move on. There isn't the same turnover of staff as there is in the UK, so there are less vacancies than you'd expect. Also, because of this, there tends to be quite a few applicants for each job. The other thing that makes it a little harder for outsiders to get a job is there is something of - not exactly an 'old boys' network per se- but there is an element of 'who you know' being quite important. You may find it easier to get a job up north, and then look to move to Chch at a later date. It might be that the earthquake will change the dynamics of the job market. Apparently there has been something of an exodus form Chch recently, and lots of kids who were at school there aren't now. (Also, tbh it is the wrong time of year for jobs here. Give it a few more months, as Sept-Dec is the main season for a Feb start...)

All you can really do is keep plugging away and applying for jobs that catch your eye. Hopefully your CV may catch someone's eye out there. Good luck, and if you have any questions about Canterbury, the South Island or anything I will do my best to give you an answer.

10. I teach in South Canterbury. We came here 5 years ago with no job - bit of a worry! - but I went to all the schools in the area with my CV and told them that I would be available for relief teaching. Things went from there, really. It's true that 'who you know' helps - I was offered permanent work after being recommended by a principal at a school where I'd done a fair bit of relief teaching.
    Do you have to find a permanent job straight away, or could you manage on your husband's salary for a while? Canterbury is a great place to live - we love it here - but we certainly took a risk moving here without a job to walk into.

11. mrswallow

Having had a very quick look at the job adverts this week in the Gazette... Catlins, Clutha, Hokitika, Westport will probably be the 'least' competitive jobs and those Principals may be the most willing to recruit from abroad. At secondary level, those are all hard to staff and you would get HPSTA payments. I'm assuming there is a primary equivilent. Gore may also come into that category.
    Lots of jobs in Chch, but they all seem to be maternity or LTR. Again, you may find that a good way to get your feet under the table.
    The Remarkables job will be ver' ver' popular IMO. They advertised a job for the high school there and it had over 300 applicants.. Wanaka is lovely and attracts skiers and snowboarders. Very pricey rental property though.
    As Pottymum says, Canterbury is lovely- I think she is based in Timaru still (!?) and Timaru is a great place to bring up kids. It will be even better when the new aquatic centre is finished. I think your best bet is to move to your husbands job, then make yourself available for cover and relief as PM suggests. Christchurch, Ashburton and Timaru should all be easyish for this.

12. Thanks everyone - getting hubby to apply for every job he can now lol! We should be able to manage on just one wage so if he manages to get a job think we will move and I'll just try my luck with schools as you suggest. Will keep applying from here as you never know....just getting really impatient...have been talking about it for so long and visiting NZ last year just made my mind up. Thanks again...

13. Sorry ...just a quickie...does anyone know if it is it true that you get an extra 5 points for having a PhD from end of July for skilled visa? Thought I had read it somewhere but can't remember where now...

14. Sorry again lol!

You know where it says "do you have a recognised New Zealand Basic or Post graduate qualification" does this mean you have actually had to study in New Zealand to get this qualification?

When I have looked at the explanation it simply says that it must be on the Quality Assured List of Qualifications.
    I have had my qualifications assessed and they come out as level 7 and one at level 8.

Thanks

15. It's been a while since I was on here and good to see familiar 'faces'.
    Sparklingspringwater: my quals were assessed as Level 7, as even PGCE doesn't qualify was post-grad here. Your Level 8 means that your post-grad quals have been recognised. All good.

16. Chrissi T

Chrissi T New commenter

Hi guys,
    Just a quick question. I am revamping my CV ready for my move to NZ and am trying to translate some of the UK teaching jargon. As far as I know the term 'Key Stage' does not exist in NZ. Therefore, how would i need to refer to KS3 or KS4?

Thanks in advance

Chrissi t

17. MrDoc

MrDoc New commenter

In NZ, a secondary teacher teaches Year 9 - 13, except in a few rural Year 7 - 13 schools (Year 7 and 8 are usually taught by primary teachers in these schools). It is assumed that any secondary teacher can teach Year 9 - 13. Talk about the actual Year levels that you have taught.

18. mrswallow

Year 9-10 may also be referred to as 'Junior' and 11,12,13 as 'Senior'.

19. mrswallow

I just put down my qualifications that had been assessed as being equivalent to NZ ones. That's what I paid all that money for after all...

20. freestylegirl

freestylegirl New commenter

I've been reading this brilliant thread for a while and hope that someone can offer me some advice.
    I've been in Auckland for 5 months now and am registered to teach here, however I can't get a job, (3 advertised in my subject, 1 interview, 1 rejection letter, 1 nothing). I have been told by an agency that I can't do supply/relief teaching as I don't have a work visa - but I need a job offer to get a Skilled migrant or temporary work visa.
    I can leave the country for a week and return and keep on looking but it seems that I won't be able to find a job now that has an earlier start than February. I am also worried that I won't have worked since last July (I travelled for 5 months before arriving here) and this will look bad on my CV.
    Any advice??