1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Want to move and teach in New Zealand - how??

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by wolls, Oct 24, 2007.

1. I know this may sound really dumb but what exactly is ment by transcripts?? I am putting my application together for the NZQA and have all the course submission forms which include marks and academic comment by the tutors - is this sufficient?
    Would appreciate any help anyone can give as would like to get it off this week.

2. I have enjoyed reading this thread and thought I'd throw in my tuppenyworth! I have been teaching Secondary Science in the "winterless" Far North for 3 years now.

I agree with most of the advice given. We took a year to complete the process: decided to go Xmas 2003 and flew out New Year 2005. Each step took plenty of time, but it worked out well for us.

We have just been back as a family for the first time. Xmas in the Uk with rellies. It has confirmed that our move was a good one. We still have rellies, they are just a long way away. The important thing for us is living in a relatively stress free place, surrounded by beautiful beaches and bush clad hills, and can afford to trade in a Lancashire terrace for a 3 acre block with house on it.

So good luck to those who are heading over here. It is not without its pitfalls. There are a significant number of emigrants who realise that it was not a good move. Take off the rose-tinted spectacles before you come. If you like everything done for you and are into money and shops, you probably won't like it. If you want a more basic saner lifestyle then it is worth considering.

Btw, if anyone is looking for a science teaching job, we might be needing one at our school.

We have written a blog about our experiences: www.bryans2nz.blogspot.com and you can email me at mbryan@kaitaiacollege.school.nz

3. Hi Tigytyler
    The transcript I requested from my Uni was a breakdown of all the modules from every year of my degree, with the marks / grades I got for them. It cost me £50 (even though it was only 2 sides of A4!) - but I think it's worth it to make sure it's the right thing. You could always include copies of what you have got as well just to confirm it further.

Hope that helps. Julie

4. Hi Pumpkin
    You're saying exactly what I want to hear - a simpler life... I can't stand shopping - so hardly going to miss it - but it's also for my kids - I don't like how they're growing up in such a materialistic society - I want them building tree houses and getting muddy!!
    Glad to hear the relations thing can be survived! Although I love my family to bits - we're not the sort of family who have to see each other every week - usually only a few times a year. Although the way they're talking I'll see more of them when in NZ!!!
    Thanks for sharing your experiences - will be looking at your blog now.
    Julie

5. I've found it really interesting reading this thread. I am a Primary School teacher and am planning to move out to New Zealand in August to teach for a year. It's comforting to know that other people are in the same situation as you!

6. Yes, that is what the transcript is.

7. Hi Millie Louise
    What stage of the process are you at?
    I'm still waiting to hear from NZ what my assessment is. I'm getting very impatient!!
    Julie

8. Hey juliesteele,

Thanks for your message. Is good to hear from other people who are going through the same thing. I think to be honest that my partner and I have probably left the whole process later than we should have done. Am just collating all of the paperwork that I need to send off to the NZQA. Am hoping to get it in the post to NZ before the end of next week, although I am waiting for references from my Head as I only handed in my notice on Monday.

How long have you been waiting now? When are you planning to move? Are you Primary or Secondary?

It's all very nerve wracking and stressful at the moment but I'm really excited too!

Ella

9. It can be frustrating waiting for officialdom... be patient and everything will eventually come back! The wait will be well worth it. I'm not quite in the winterless far north, but I can honestly say that it was the right move at the right time, though through choice we have not bought a house (in Hamilton). I too went back to see the family ( 3 kids over there and 2 sets of parents) I was really glad to see them and enjoyed the bracing weather (fortunately I didn't see too much precipitation). I do miss them though, so be warned, homesickness does happen:( Still enjoying teaching, the students are very well behaved in comparison to the school I taught in before, though admin work is sometimes a nightmare.

10. Hi Ella
    All my documents etc are in NZ right now. It has been about 3 weeks since I sent them - and the payment has gone on my credit card, so I know I'm in the system. I paid the extra for fast tracking it, so hopefully I'll get my assessment sometime in the next week. I also sent my registration forms to the teaching council at the same time with a note saying I'd forward the NZQA assessments as soon as it comes through. Their process takes 4-6 weeks anyway.
    I teach primary - how about you?
    My main blocking point is selling my house - it's up for sale, but we've had no interest - wrong time of year and dodgy housing market doesn't look promising.
    But I'm adamant I'm going - it's taken me 3 years to convince my hubby and kids it'll be the best thing for all of us - I'm so fed up with this country. But I'm not going into this with rose tinted glasses - I know it'll be hard and everywhere has it's problems. I just know it's what I have to do.
    As soon as the house is sold, I want to move as soon as possible! (We've got ofsted next Tues/Weds - it's a shame they couldn't have waited a few months!!)
    Let me know how things go for you.
    Good luck! Julie

11. Hi JulieSteele

Not wanting to spoil anything, however, I sent everything the NZQA in November (fasttrack aswell). I have had the acknowledgement email but nothing else. A friend has been waiting for 3 months. you may not receive anything for a while.

12. synetos

synetos New commenter

I taught in New Zealand for three years, and although im now back in the UK missing many aspects about the place i am glad to be back in a country where the people are genuine. I think the most obvious word that leapt out at me when i worked there was Nepatism and believe me if your face didnt fit then you will find it hard to live and work in New Zealand. Although New Zealanders come across as very friendly and welcoming, a lot of the time i found that they were generally insincere and judgemental. Dont get me wrong, i know that there are people like that all over the world but you need to really research where you are and find out about the school first. Living in small town NZ (anywhere outside Auckland, Wellington and ChCH) you will find the social scene very difficult. Kiwis dont do the pub thing like we do, and the only way that i could make friends outside of work was through playing sports.

The nepatism in the workplace was very bad. The whole senior management team were all married amoungst each other and basically ran everything in the school to give each other an easy life at the expense of others. I was employed with 2 management units however when i took up my position they decided not to pay me them after i enquired why my wages were short. The explanation i got was - 'oh we decided that because you have no NZ curriculum experience that you are not entitled to them.' This happened to at least another 2 members of staff that i was aware of. Not long after this the head announced that the government had 'allocated another 15 units to schools' and that they needed to 'discuss as a school how they be used - then said that the SMT decided that the FAIREST way was to just look at who allready had them and given them more.' at that point i felt like punching him in the face and walking however went down the route of the union. The union guy told me that i had a case to get my units back but basically that the school would then not support my residency application should this happen. Realising that the union guy had his nose so far up the heads backside i wish id just opted to punch him in the face instead.

13. I have had the opposite experience. I live in a small town, as far from Auckland as you could get and my wife, children and I all have very active social lives. In fact, we do more here, attend more functions, BBQ's, parties and events than we ever did in the UK. I have found the kiwis for the most very warm and friendly. Agreed, NZ is not a pub culture, I have not been to one of the two we have here for over a year. However, we have always found enough things, places and people to visit etc.

14. New Zealand and it's people are the nicest I have ever met. That is only when they are living in their own country, though.

I lived and worked there for two years and only met kind, helpful and truly genuine folk.

There is more to life than pubs and isn't it great that Kiwi familes can stay home and not be out getting p...ed every night.

Of course it is better to go to the pub than to be playing sport.

I guess you should have gone to Oz, for the culture you were looking for.

How many schools did you actually work in?

By the standard of your written English, I'm surprised you were employed at all. 'The whole senior management team were all married amoungst (sic) each other'. ***

It is nepotism!

It is Brits like yourself, who reinforce the concept of the whingeing pom.

15. What a lovely page I get to add my 2 cents to! Or should that be 10 cents? Anyway to Synetos it is a shame that you had a rough experience. Thankfully not all NZ schools are like that. I've been to a few places abroad and taught in a couple too. I am a Kiwi and love teaching in NZ. Mostly because we embrace the individual teacher.

Moving abroad is really what you make of it. There is not anywhere that is perfect. Having a positive attitude is so important and can make a huge difference. Of course that is not to rubbish anyone's **** experience either. It is just to say that it is just one experience. Ultimately it could be great or it could be ****. Either way get out there and try it. If it's great, fantastic. If it's **** then go back home.

16. I have to agree with LillyJane. I wouldn't want to discredit anyone's personal opinions but it is important to remember that everybody's experiences are different and it is just as likely that I could have a bad experience at a school / in a community here as I could in one abroad.

Am very excited to have the opportunity to be moving to New Zealand and exploring somewhere new and a different way of life.

Julie: Am just waiting for my reference from my Head before I send my forms to NZQA. Don't want to rush her too much for it but will probably ask again next week if I haven't had it yet. Did you hear back from the Teaching council? Do you have to send any original documents to them too?

I teach primary too, although would be more than happy to give secondary a go too.

I'm fortunate to be in the position of renting my house at the moment so don't need to sell up or anything. I'm sorry to hear that it's proving difficult to do this. Hope you've had some good news about it! Is good that you're sticking to your guns though. I think it's important to go with your heart and give it a go! How are you children and hubby feeling about it now? Hope they're excited.

How was Ofsted?

Ella

17. synetos

synetos New commenter

AussieLostEgypt

Your response is typical of the attitude that im talking about. The minute that another person points out a negative then they are shot down in flames and the blame is shunned back on the victim. This is a forum NOT a job application or formal piece of 'written English' as you put it. Not to mention im placing these comments at speed when i have a free moment, so any normal decent person who contributes to these forums in a constructive way would recognise that peoples spelling is not always perfect. Is this how you encourage your pupils to improve in your lessons ? by slating them with every possible minute of your sad little life ? How many schools have YOU worked in ? Im surprised with your clear lack of respect for others that you would get a job at all.

As for the *** regarding the management team - then let me spell it out in a much easier to understand way - The SMT had 5 married couples on it. All of which were friends from previous positions. As for me looking for the pub culture - you obviously dont understand the culture of pubs in the UK, and judge Aussie P***heads to be the same. Pubs in the UK are very social places for individuals and families and not everyone who frequents them has a drinking problem like you are suggesting.

Im sorry i dont live up to your perfect expectations but its nice to know at least the people who posted after you can recognise that not everyones experience of teaching and living in NZ is a positive one. Its a forum of opinion and sharing NOT of judging people - if that is what you are looking for i suggest you get a life.

LillyJane i agree that a positive attitude helps and believe me I was truly excited to have the opportunity to work in such a beautiful country when i arrived. The positives attitude was soon destroyed as personally being 'screwed over' with pay does seem to leave a rather bitter taste in my mouth. Im sure that there are many other schools in NZ where this would never happen in a million years and i do recognise that there are just as many bad schools elsewhere.

I think my social experiences were difficult because I was a single mid 20s guy living in a semi retirement area, and i truly feel that families are made much more welcome by new zealanders mainly because of the strong family culture that is so obvious there.

18. 'any normal decent person'

Are you really?

'i felt like punching him in the face'

'had his nose so far up the heads backside i wish id just opted to punch him in the face instead'

Umm, wonder if my support for Kiwis, and love of the English language, is worse for my students than your obvious violent nature.

Have to wonder why you taught in a school for 3 years, if it was so bad.

'I think the most obvious word that leapt out at me when i worked there was Nepatism and believe me if your face didnt fit then you will find it hard to live and work in New Zealand. Although New Zealanders come across as very friendly and welcoming, a lot of the time i found that they were generally insincere and judgemental.'

Your post began with an open attack on the character of the New Zealand people as a whole. So, who is being judgemental. My support was for the people and not of what happened within your workplace.

The forum is most definitely the place to express discontent within the workplace. So, you should stick to the facts and write them in a way that does not come across as ranting.

It would also help if you gave others an indication as to where the school is located, in order to allow them to decide whether or not to work there.

'Im sorry i dont live up to your perfect expectations'

I forgive you, but I'm not sure the Kiwis should.

19. synetos

synetos New commenter

Obvious violent nature ?

Do you not understand the word 'felt' ? It means that i was 'feeling' that way NOT that i would act that way. In your opinion of reading my post you feel like i made an open attack on NZ people as a whole, I was expressing a personal opinion on how I found them. Read further into my two posts and i also express that 'New Zealanders come across as very friendly and welcoming' however there is without a doubt a level of insincerity amoungst the communtiy in where i lived and many of the people i met. When they realise that you are not a local they welcome you with open arms and want to know everthing about you, when you expect them to recipricate that then they close off and indicate its none of your business. Personally i find that building friendships is deeper than being 'Nice and polite to people' which most kiwis are more than capable off. Again an opinion.

As for naming the school then I do often look at these threads to see if any questions are asked about the place, and believe me i would respond in an appropriate and guiding way. As for wondering why i stayed in a school for 3 years if it was so bad - I genuinely was happy to try and make a go of living in a New Zealand which was a dream of mine from visiting as a child. Too bad my experiences as an adult didnt live up to my expectations.

20. Oh dear Ella - our lovely little forum seems to be changing tone...

Ofsted has been and gone - quite an anti-climax now compared to the last 3 I've been through. As maths co-ordinator I was all geared up to show them how hard I'd been working - and they didn't even look at my folder - I suppose the sef said it all - and the vastly improved results since I took over - :)

I have heard from the teaching council asking if I've gone through threshold (which I have, twice) - can't believe I didn't send it to them - thought I had.

Haven't heard from NZQA - so the teaching council process is on hold until the assessment comes through.

Had someone to look at the house today - yay - they seemed keen so you never know, fingers crossed!!

Hubby and kids are all for it now - my eldest 2 are worried about missing their friends but are still looking on it as a big adventure. The youngest is all a bit bewildered by it - I don't think she appreciates how far away we will be....

So the process continues.... got to keep thinking positively!

Julie