1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Want to move and teach in New Zealand - how??

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by wolls, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Could anyone please point me in the right direction? My husband and I have been talking for a while now about moving to New Zealand to live and work. We are both fed up with our jobs and have recently got married and would like to start a family there. I have been on various websites but can not get any clear information about the various steps that need to be taken. I have filled in the points calculator and we both have enough points to be considered (we have over 100). It says that next we must do an expression of interest form. I cannot find this online and one website says that you need to get a pack posted which has this included? I just want to check that this is the case as it was over £60 to get it posted. I have also been told that I need to send my qualifications to NZ to get them checked to see if they are recognised over there. This is also quite expensive. I would just really appreciate it if someone could list the steps you have to take/forms you have to fill in just so that I am doing things right and not spending money on things/forms etc that are not needed. Many many thanks in advance.

2. Could anyone please point me in the right direction? My husband and I have been talking for a while now about moving to New Zealand to live and work. We are both fed up with our jobs and have recently got married and would like to start a family there. I have been on various websites but can not get any clear information about the various steps that need to be taken. I have filled in the points calculator and we both have enough points to be considered (we have over 100). It says that next we must do an expression of interest form. I cannot find this online and one website says that you need to get a pack posted which has this included? I just want to check that this is the case as it was over £60 to get it posted. I have also been told that I need to send my qualifications to NZ to get them checked to see if they are recognised over there. This is also quite expensive. I would just really appreciate it if someone could list the steps you have to take/forms you have to fill in just so that I am doing things right and not spending money on things/forms etc that are not needed. Many many thanks in advance.

3. Hi there,

Go to the teachnz website:
    http://teachnz.govt.nz/overseas-trained-teachers/four-ste...

It's really good and outlines exactly what you have to do, such as getting your qualifications assessed by the NZ qualifications authority and also registering with the NZ teachers council.

If you want to go down the residency route, so that you don't need to have a job offer before you go, then you do need to submit an Expression of Interest online first. It's on the Immigration NZ website. If I remember rightly, you have to register on the site first. However, it is still better if you have your qualifications assessed before you submit the EOI, as I think you might get additional points. Not 100% sure of that, but you can complete the EOI online and save it before you submit it for the final time. Be warned the whole process is pretty pricey and can take quite a while!!!

4. Thank you Jaffet, advice most appreciated. I will look on the given site now. Thanks again.

5. Many thanks Scott34d

6. There's a great new book that's just been published called 'Teach in NZ - How to Get a Teaching Job in New Zealand'.

It contains everything you need to know about getting a teaching job in NZ. I wish it had been available when I came to NZ to teach!

To find out more or to buy a copy, go to: www.teachinnz.co.uk

7. Many thanks DJL21. Will have a look.

8. Hi,

After moving to NZ and ending up coming home - just a couple of friendly warnings...

Check wages out there - although houses are slightly cheaper etc. the wages didn't give us enough money for daily living - we'd have managed is we never wanted to buy anything/go anywhere.

Check out where you do/don't want to live - we ended up in Blenheim which was amazing but wouldn't have wanted to be in certain Auckland areas.

NZ is amazing - just look into the money thing properly...

9. thanks for the advice kittengirl, if you don't mind me asking, is the money issue the reason you came home?

10. Hi - I've also just started looking in to the process. I have asked my uni to send me the transcripts for my course - then I'll send them off and wait, and wait and wait I assume!

I have found this website really useful to clarify in my head if NZ was the place for me - you can sign up for 5 newsletter style emails on different aspects of moving to NZ, written by someone who has done it. The whole money 'v' cost of living is put in to perspective - I'm less worried about it now. Obviously it all depends on your own finances and what you're expecting. Anyway here's the link - hope you find it useful.

www.newlifenewzealand.com/

11. Oh - while I'm here....

Can anybody clarify what these mean in job adverts in NZ -

a 'tagged' position

LTR positions

I'm assuming a scale A teacher is a 'basic' teacher (if you know what I mean!).

Also can someone explain the decile thing - I understand some schools won't employ from overseas if they have a good decile 'ranking' (is that the word??) - but what is good - 1 or 10???? HELP!!!

Thanks x

12. Not too sure about the 'tagged' positions but LTR means long term relieving which means it isn't permanent.

Scale A is basic teacher.

Decile rating starts at 1 and goes up to 10 and is decided on the socio economic area/families that the school serves. 1 are low socio areas and 10 are high socio areas. My school is high decile and we employ overseas trained teachers.

13. Thanks juliesteele. I have heard that they need the transcripts as well, I suppose that should be my first step really. Thanks for the weblink, I will take a look. Would love to know how you get on, keep checking in with your progress if you don't mind? Thanks again.

14. Thanks Lillyjane - useful to know.

I'll keeping popping in here from time to time to let you know how it's progressing.....

15. No worries. Let me know if you need any further help or questions answered.

Cheers Lilly

16. i am still looking into nz and i think some of the postings on here are quite missleading

just looked and DJL21 has posted 17 messages recommending the teaching in nz book!!!

does anyone else think that DJL21 might be connected with this book!!

just because of this blatant publicising i am going to stay well clear of it!

And while we are on the subject of books there have been some people recommended the book ?emigrate to new Zealand with caution?

I stupidly took their advice but luckily bought a second hand version at a greatly reduced price.

All I can say is it?s really not worth it!

I found the author quite patronising and derogatory towards the new Zealanders and quite stuck up!

I also found it quite remarkable that the author went to new Zealand in the first place without any jobs, or proper research into jobs. They didn?t seem to have any qualifications and the author?s husband was a £1million yacht designer!!! Considering that profession is quite scarce in England I find it remarkable that they thought they could succeed over there!!

So all I say is look on websites and don?t waste your money with that pointless book or the other that is being blatantly publicised on here!!

17. I worked out that DJL21 was connected to the book, but for £10 thought I would chance it. It arrived this morning and looks fab - has lots of useful info in it and well worth the money.

18. Dear lily77cat,

As the only person (I think) who recommended 'Emigrate with Caution' as a 'must read' I can assure you that I am in no way connected to the author or publisher. If you read my posting again, you will find that I wrote something along the lines of ... if having read this book you still want to come to NZ then you are truly meant to. You will notice that I did not judge the book, or give nay other clues to its content. I think I bought it for about 8 pounds, I am sorry that you felt it was a waste of big money (its probably in the library by the way!) and I still enjoy reading it, and I also think it was great investment compared to the several thousand pounds it cost to get to NZ. Yes, most of it is ridiculous, and guess what, I am still in NZ after 6 years and really enjoying it. Emigrate with caution in my opinin tests your resolve.

19. I have posted a few times on here, passing out what little advice I could. I have put as much detail on my web space as I could to try and answer/help those that are interested in coming here. I just hope the link works. I am sure that someone will tell me if it does not. Remember, just trying to help, its not easy! Be nice!
    http://www.iyomu.com/usersite/oppo