1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

want to lose weight for summer hols

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by beckie99, May 4, 2009.

1. have shrunk further due to stress.

2. Just thought I'd 'up' this to see how everyone got on. I, for one, am 'at it again'. Trying to cut out chocolate, biscuits, crisps, cheese and fat, such as butter. Have lost eight pounds in about three or four weeks, but the next four to six are the really tricky ones. Back to trying on my 'Holy Grail' jeans - the button is back to four inches from the button hole!!
    Cx

3. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

It's weird reading this - I hadn't posted on this thread since October! My little boy is 13 months old on Friday!
    Anyway, i have lost about 35 inches altogether and am now back in all my pre-pregnancy stuff. My jeans fit fine and are even gaping at the back, although my stomach is still a bit wobbly so I don't feel 100% comfortable in them. It's so hot anyway that i've just been wearing sundresses all the time.
    I'm still eating healthily and exercising, although I haven't been to the gym in a week as i was exhausted (teething baby) and then I got a cold and cough. I've been going on lots of long walks since the weather's been nice.

4. You've lost 35 inches?!!!!! Wow!!! I'm impressed!! Well done you! Four inches sounds like a doddle in comparison - I am enjoying my raw mushroom (oops, and a glass of wine) as I type! Got a few pounds to go, but am determined - bought myself a lovely dress in the sales today as an incentive
    Cx

5. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

That's from my waist, hips, thighs, arms and boobs! So divided between 5 places. Not that impressive really. About 9 of those were from my waist. Shows how much bigger i'd got when I was pregnant!

6. Hello everyone and contgratulations on weight lost and to Chica for your baby. I hope I shall be joining you very soon!
    I weigh almost 11 and a half stone and am joining with the aim of losing a stone and a half, getting down to just under 10 stone. I am determined to use my languishing gym membership and to eat well. I've joined weight watchers so I'll hopefully be updating with positive news next week.

7. Good luck Katherinelily - I am tucking into a mahoosive salad as I type - loads of home-grown salad leaves, raw mushrooms, beansprouts etc. Had half a grapefruit for breakfast and am going to snack on dry cereal later if I have to. Age doesn't help this tummy thing!
    Cx

8. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

Oh my goodness, this sounds torturous!!!

The holidays are here at last and finally I can have the freedom to go to the gym when I like (I hate going after work when I'm exhausted and can't be bothered). The last few weeks of term have dragged and dragged, and I've been so exhausted that exercise has been irregular and food has just been whatever is easiest.
    Looking forward to six weeks of having time to prepare food, and the ability to exercise at different times of the day depending on what I'm doing. For instance, today, I'm off to the gym just now for some weights followed by a swim, then out fo lunch with a friend whom I haven't seen for ages. Tomorrow, I'll go to the gym, again, in the morning, as I'm booked in for a facial and massage at 1pm (the joys of having a good friend who is a beautician!)
    I LOVE THE HOLIDAYS!!!!!!

9. I know what you mean Eva - working really gets in the way of dieting doesn't it!!
    I can't believe I am about to say this - I am going swimming! I haven't been swimming on my own for about twenty years!! It's usually a family, muck about thing. And - I'm going to cycle there - the only thing is - it's raining!
    BYEEE!!
    Cx

10. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

Hi I'm back to join you!
    I believe that you have to be in the right form of mind to lose weight. You have to want it for yourself, to improve your life and feel good about yourself. I came to a decision that the summer hols is my time to make my dreams come true. The biggest hurdle to me is when food is a treat. So the first rule I have is to buy myself something nice to wear instead. I decided food is only a fuel. I also decided I wasnt giving up any of the food I enjoyed and I wasnt eating any 'diet' food that I didnt enjoy. I also believe that you need to exercise at least 40 mins a day, so I take the dog out every day. This week I have eaten my favourite foods when I have been hungry. I even had fish chips and mushy peas and a bottle of wine on Friday. I have kept myself busy cleaning out rooms and watching favourite tv programmes. My husband and daughter eat what they want. I have told myself that it is only my ego that says I have to have what others have. I dont eat chocolate as I realised it doesnt fill me and only lasts a minute. I love bread, so I have eaten brown bread twice a day, bananas, soup, apples, even had a beef burger, small scoup of chips one night. Quite a long thread I know but what Im saying is that you know you best, so calorie count your way to losing weight with what you want to eat!
    Weight loss this week= 3lb.

11. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

Yes, i've been the same. Even though I'm only part time, this last part of the term has really dragged, plus we had the stress of the timetable switch over. My little boy is walking now so looking after him is hard work, and my husband works shifts. So, i'm totally shattered!
    I'm going to my parents' next week for 3 weeks, so I will have live-in babysitters and be able to go to the gym when I like (although I have to pay to go to their gym. I tried sneaking in with one of their cards before and got caught. Ooops!). One of my friends who lives there goes a lot, and she also goes running so i might give that a try with her. We always go on long walks when I stay there. Plus I will have time to eat really healthily. My mum always makes really healthy meals and buys loads of fruit, veg and salad and no 'naughty' food.
    I agree - I love the holidays [​IMG]

12. Well, I did 44 lengths, with breaks and the following day 48 non-stop - I could hardly walk!! Wore lovely new dress to lunch yesterday (a birthday treat for husband) and he said it looked good! Felt full after the soup - but still had main and pud - but salad, so quite good. Ate cheese last night though and am 2lbs heavier today - how does that work!!
    Am back on track today though - more yummy salad for lunch - but., I fear, a bit of a blow out tonight - must be good. Am still having chocolate in the evening, but one piece that I spend 15 minutes licking!! Seems to work quite well
    Keep it up folks
    Cx

13. fantastischfish

Congratulations on the swimming Cals. That's really good goig to do 48 laps - how long did that take you? How big is the pool? I manage probably about 60 lengths in about 30 minutes, but the pool is not a full-length one, I think it's about 18 metres in length.
    Today, we're off to Whitby for the day so there'll be lots of waling up and down steps (there are LOADS of them in Whitby!). It's a good job though because it's impossible to go to Whitby without having fish and chips. Oooops. Still, back to the gym tomorrow and all should balance out.

14. I think the 48 was in forty minutes - it's 25 metres long
    Have a good time in Whitby - but just have a few chips - be strong!!
    Am off to have my grapefruit now!
    Cx

15. fantastischfish

Nope, had fish and chips as a treat, there's no point in holding back, it only leaves your unsatisfied. Plus, my boyfriend doesn't want to be around someone who's so obsessed with losing weight that she can't enjoy a treat ever now and then. How boring would life be if you were constantly surrounded by someone who's going, "I've eaten my five chips, will you have the rest or I'll throw them away".
    I work on a 'eat what you need' policy. That is I try to ensure I do not eat beyond the point of being hungry. I try to listen to my body and know when I'v eaten what I need. It works for me. Besides, so long as I eat sensibly the rest of the time, one fish and chip supper shouldn't impact on my weightloss at all!
    In the end, we didn't go to Whitby because we decided to go to the Air Show at Sunderland. It was great, we watched the Red Arrows and there were loads of stalls and rides which we partook in as well. I love the traditional arcades that they have by the beach up there and I infuriated by boyfriend by winning on the arcades, as usual (I'm ridiculously lucky on things like that ha ha!). So it was only fair that I treated him to fish and chips with my winnings. It was a great day; dieting and worrying about weightloss would only have ruined it.
    Today, the food plan goes something like this:
    Breakfast: 2-3 tablespoons of baked beans, slice of brown bread toasted.
    Lunch: Chicken salad (slices of chicken breast with cajun seasoning, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, carrot, beetroot, red onion)
    Dinner: Hmmmmm, what to have....I've got some Quorn burgers (95 cals each!) in the freezer, maybe I'll make burger, potato wedges (homemade) and salad.

What about everyone else?

16. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

Hi Eva, love your approach! You have to be realistic if its long term!
    Ive had my 40 min walk, took the dog down the park. Weighed myself and have lost 3 and a half pound in my first week, so well chuffed. Im having bananas on toast for lunch, yum. Havent decided tea yet, but will have my toast for supper. I am so glad that I decided to focus on my needs rather than a typical dieting plan. I dont feel like Im missing anything!! Counting cals is my best idea yet- watch this story unfold!! (fingers crossed!!)

17. fantastischfish

Nice to see you back Hubcap!

I can't do anything that involves counting, either calories or points. It's just a personal thing; it sends me doolally and makes me obsess about it. I know it does work, however, it's just that for me personally it damages my mental health!!

18. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

Indeed! If you deny yourself things then you find (well, I do anyway) that you want them more. I'm being much more relaxed about what I eat than I used to be. I'm still careful of course, but if I want something then i'll have it, and like Eva I eat when i'm hungry.
    Today i had weetabix for breakfast and I went out for lunch with some friends and had a goats cheese salad and a bit of bread. It was a kind of flat bread with olive oil and rosemary that my friend ordered. For dinner we're going to have plaice, baby potatoes and veg, and i'll probably have an apple and some strawberries later. I've got personal training soon.