1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

want to lose weight for summer hols

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by beckie99, May 4, 2009.

1. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

My personal feelings about carbs and protein are that it really doesn't matter if you eat them together or not. I know that Slimming World swear by their red and green days etc, but my own opinion is that, no matter what you are doingm to lose weight - counting points, red and green days, etc - at the root of it all lies the fact that you are eating fewer calories and less fat.
    For instance, on a Slimming World green day, you might be eating pasta, rice or potatoes - all low in fat. Since you cannot have cheese on a green day, you'd be having tomato-based sauces on your pasta which are naturally lower in fat. On a red day, you are eating protein and vegetables. The rules state that meat must be lean so there won't be too much fat and we all know that protein aids weight-loss, especially when exercising as it helps build lean muscle which helps the body burn fat more efficiently.
    I personally don't feel there is any scientific reason behind any of it other than the fact that, which ever method you choose, you are eating fewer calories and less fat. Simples.

2. Even on a green day you have to eat cheese or milk! It is basically going back to basics of unprocessed, proper food. In fact, they have moved quite far away from red and green days.
    As someone once said to me. If you look at something and don't recognise an ingredient...don't eat it because it is no good for you!
    Simple rules (as Eva said) make the difference in a lifestyle change that works. Cut out the awful refined carbs like white bread and pasta. Stop eating things out of packets. Stick to the basic, natural food [​IMG]

3. I have just 'gone wholemeal' so to speak. What exactly are the benefits as from the nutrition labels on my white and brown pasta there seems to be very little difference (and at first glance I would choose white since it is lower in fat)!

4. fantastischfish

White bread is marginally lower in fat because in the process of making it the outer layers of the grain are stripped away and this is the part that contains a lot of the fat. However, the health benefits of eating wholemeal are that the nutients in the outer part of of the grain remain. There is more fibre and more B vitamins in wholemeal bread. The 0.1g difference in saturated fat is hardly worth giving up all that fibre and those vitamins that are so good for you.
    Hey, maybe I'M the nutritional guru of TES??? Nah, I don't think so, this is just some residual knowledge left over from secondary school science.

5. Thanks for that. I've gone wholemeal because I have a massive stomach at the moment and think maybe I'm bloated. I'm quite slim so my stomach is really noticeable - I could give my 6 month pregnant friend a run for her money!

6. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

Some people end up bloated whatever bread they eat - white, wholemeal, granary - and the best thing to do is cut it out entirely. My husband is wheat intolerant but he will still eat it, but when he goes a few days without bread he feels so much better.
    We always had wholemeal bread growing up as my mum refused to buy white bread.
    I agree Eva that it is simple - eat less calories and less fat and do some exercise. I think maybe some people like the structure of WW or SW or whatever.
    I was watching a programme on TV last night about food and this guy was going to different countries to see what their diet was like. Apparently Mexico is getting close to the USA in its obesity rates, and they consume more fizzy drinks there than anywhere else in the world!
    My sister lives in China and she has lost quite a bit of weight just from eating their diet as she can't get her greedy paws on things like Starbucks hot chocolates. She doesn't exercise at all, and she does sometimes eat chocolate or go to Mcdonalds there, but she mainly lives on rice, noodles and veg. It helps that where she lives has a tropical climate and she probably doesn't feel like eating much!

7. EmiW

EmiW New commenter

When I lived in Japan I lost weight, from eating tofu, vegetables, rice and noodles. No dairy and no bread. Saying that, when I came back I probably put everything back on and more! It gets so tiring eating rice for breakfast!
    I didn;t know Mexico was so unhealthy. Fizzy drinks are such an awful culprit too. Apparently you should be careful of even diet drinks as the sweetener still causes blood sugar to rise and fall too rapidly.
    I wasn't terribly healthy today...
    Cornflakes, bowl of raspberries
    Cup of tea, fruit scone
    Baked potato, sprinkle of cheddar, salad, apple
    Omelette with mushroom and spinach, garden peas, 2 slices wholemeal bread.
    Low fat yoghurt, banana, 2 ryvita.

I've done nothing but scoff today! So many snacks.

8. Apart from the fruit scone, which is a treat, it all sounds perfectly reasonable to me!!

9. EmiW

EmiW New commenter

I think its because I am back at school. For some reason I get incredibly hungry at work and have to eat regularly. I suppose as long as its fruit and healthy stuff, rather than scones, that might not be too bad! Seeing it written down you're actually right, Its not too bad at all.

10. You've pretty much eaten a normal slimming world green day!
    (and have made me fancy a jacket potato)

11. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I lost weight when I lived in France....living off a diet of alcohol!!!! Well, I was 21, in my year abroad, going out all the time. I pretty much just ate cereal that year!
    I ached so much today from personal training yesterday that I gave aerobics a miss, but I did meet my friend and we went for a really long walk.
    Today I had:
    scrambled egg and a slice of bread (55 cals - it's 'small' bread!)
    chicken sandwich (282 cals)
    some nuts and raisins
    chicken breast, quinoa, green beans and peas

I was surprised about Mexico too as I just assumed they were healthier there. I went to Cuba for my honeymoon last year and the food was really lovely and healthy, and I thought Mexican food was pretty similar.

12. fantastischfish

Please, please, please don't be mad at me.....this seems like far too few calories.
    B: Assuming 2 eggs, scrambled with milk plus 55cal bread - about 200 calories (max)
    L: Chicken sandwich - 282 calories
    Snack: nuts and raisons - assuming about 50g around 250 calories
    D: Chicken breast (150 cals ish), quinoa (150 cals assuming about 100g) green bean and peas (max 50 cals)
    Total calories for day: thats less that 850calories for the day.
    Please don't be mad, but that's significantly fewer calroies than is healthy. Take care of yourself! x

13. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

Yeah, I realised looking at my list that I hadn't had much. I was going to eat something else, but when i got home from meeting my friend I had to look after Jack, and then after I had my dinner I was looking after him again, then he puked down me, then I had to change his nappy and then give him a bath. I didn't get chance to eat anything!
    I'm meeting my dad and my grandparents today for lunch so i'll make sure I eat something!!
    I also have personal training this morning!

14. fantastischfish

Sounds nice, lunch with the 'rents is a ncie qay tp spend and afternoon: they take the baby off your hands for a bit and usually buy your lunch. Great all round ha ha!

BY the way, I think by calculations were pretty good last night considering I was somewhat drunk. Apparently, I'm good at adding, but rubbish at typing when I've had a few. It remains to be seen what the case is when I'm hungover - suffering today. I'm in bed with the laptop and a massive class of water. I think only paracetamol plus is going to save me!
    An easy way to eat more calories - rather than constantly thinking "I should eat something else" and having to sort of fit in an extra meal - could be to bulk up your meals slightly. A sauce with your chicken breast maybe, a yoghurt after your sandwich (important dairy portion, but choose one lower in sugar), or even just allowing yourself proper bread with your breakfast - a lovely hearty granary bread with lots of seeds and grains that are great for you. You'd still be well within your calories range, plus you'd have added some great nutrients.
    I'm off out for lunch today, so I'm hoping to be quite good. I've over-indulged a little bit last week what with meeting various friends and family memebrs for lunch or coffee (Mmmm, cake!) or dinner. As a result, I'm going to exercise a bit of dietry restraint this week ha ha. I even did some cardio yesterday - but got blisters so that proves that cardio is rubbish lol.
    Plan for today:
    B: 2 weetabix with my usual greek yoghurt, and bit of honey and some of the strawberries I bought yesterday.
    L: Don't know yet, but looked at the menu of the place online and I think I'll probably go for the meditterranean vegetable pannini, sounds lovely.
    D: Don't know yet, but maybe a chicken stir-fry. I've got lots of lovely vegetables and some noddles in the cupboard. I'll make my own sauce from some fresh ginger, soy sauce, sweet chilli sauce and various other things. Yum.

15. fantastischfish

Clearly rubbish at typing when hungover too. Ha ha!

16. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

lol at the hungover typing! You don't mark books when you're hungover do you Eva??!!! I quite like the idea of marking when drunk though, it might make it less boring.
    We met my dad and grandparents which was lovely. We went here:
    http://www.dlwp.com/
    they have a café on the 2nd floor. Then we sat out on the balcony for ages. There were so many people in the sea. I fancy a swim myself but I don't want to be seen in public in a swimsuit at the mo! Can't believe this time last year I was in Cuba.
    I had my personal training this morning which was hard work but it's good to feel that i'm doing something.
    Today i've had:
    weetabix and a banana
    chicken sandwich and half a portion of chips (not a very generous portion either!!)
    I'll probably just have salad for dinner as it's too hot to eat much today.

17. EmiW

EmiW New commenter

Hey guys, thought I would try and resurrect this a bit, and see how everyone is getting on?
    I haven't been to the gym as much as I should have, but I am getting slightly better with my food, and I am running most days in preparation for the marathon! Still very scared at having to run so far though. Definitely need some new running shoes.
    I seem to have lost a bit of weight but its stabilising now though - probably just getting to my "natural weight". Read some horror stories about people doing marathon training losing their figure because its all cardio though... scary.
    Hope everyone else is doing well!

18. Oh Gawd!! Don't! Just pants!!

MUST do something about it!

Cx

19. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I am STILL not back into my pre-pregnancy jeans and my little boy is 4 months old on Friday, so i'm pretty depressed about that. I need to lose about 4 inches from my hips, and they are always the last place I lose weight from.
    I've been back at the gym since mid August, and after about 6 weeks back i'd lost 19 inches altogether, so i'm on the right track. I'll probably wait until November to get measured again.
    I've been ill with a bad cold this weekend so haven't been able to go to the gym, plus it was my birthday on Friday and i had some cake, so I haven't been as healthy as i should have been.
    Emi, you are brave even contemplating running the marathon!

20. I strongly reccommend getting extremely ill and going into hospital [​IMG]
    It certainly took my weight down but it did mean the last couple of weeks in August weren't too much fun!