1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

want to lose weight for summer hols

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by beckie99, May 4, 2009.

1. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I'm **** at making omelettes, they are always a disaster when i try. Maybe I'll have to try again!

2. Now I am really getting hungry! Didn't go out last night as I wanted to be 'good' and give myself a break from indulging in yummy pub grub. I knew the temptation would be too great, as the pub nearby does great mediterranean platters, and oysters too!
    I must organise a couple of bd sessions before we start classes again in Sept or go for a good club work-out up town; anyone want to join me?

3. Omelettes are fab! I used to hate eggs but now I love them!
    2 or 3 egg whites, a splash of milk all mixed up and then poured on a really hot pan of mushrooms.
    I always grill the top bit because I Am too lazy to turn it over!

4. Stop it PFF; you are BAD!!!

5. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

Is egg yolk that bad PFF? I never know whether eggs are good or bad for you as sometimes we're told to only have 2 a week, and then sometimes advice is that they're fine!
    I went to the gym and was there an hour and 15 mins. I started with weights, squats, lunges etc then did some cardio.
    I had fruit and fibre again for breakfast, and chicken salad for lunch. I used up some of the chicken fajita mix and just had it with lettuce and tomatoes, and no wrap.
    EmiW - are you prepared for school tomorrow? I finished for maternity leave on May 8th and am not going back until Feb 1st! It's going to be so weird going back to work after such a long break.

6. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

Egg yolks contain the fat of the egg, so obviously avoiding them can be a good idea. However, they provide MANY important minerals and vitamins, so for optimum health, it's a good idea to eat them in moderation.
    See here for details:
    http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/Egg_Yolk.html

7. Apparently 99% of the fat is in the yolk. To be honest, I just prefer egg white omelettes!
    When I'm feeling lazy it will just be all of the egg in it.

8. fantastischfish

You could freeze the un-used egg yolks and use for cakes, custards, fresh pasta etc. They keep well in the fridge. You can freeze the whites too if you have any leftover and use that of meringues or however you spell that.
    I can't throw anything away!

9. fantastischfish

*they keep well in the freezer

10. EmiW

EmiW New commenter

I tend to eat the whole egg because I like the taste and I am too lazy to separate them. I suppose they do have a lot of the fat, but they have some iron and as a veggie I try and cram in iron where I can! Also an egg only has about 80 - 90 cals so I guess if you watch what else you eat then its ok.
    Back to work and I am tired and very overwhelmed!
    Today I have eaten:
    Cornflakes, cup of tea, grapes
    1 ryvita and cottage cheese
    Wholegrain roll with chickpeas in tomato sauce, cheese and salad, low fat strawberry yoghurt
    Apple
    Baked sweet potato with veggie chilli
    I'll probably have a low fat hot chocolate, or a cup of tea later.

11. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

Poor you Emi, back at work [​IMG] How was it?
    I had personal training this morning at 8:45 and my trainer says i already look thinner, and that my fitness is coming back really fast. Then I went for a walk along the seafront with Jack, and then I had to take him to have his first immunisations. Poor little boy. I nearly cried myself.
    I've eaten:
    poached egg and toast
    prawn and cheese salad
    nuts and raisins
    dinner is going to be jacket potato and tuna and then I will probably have some fruit and yogurt.
    I've still got some Options hot chocolate left from ages ago so maybe i'll have some of that tonight.
    I'll have to get some sweet potatoes next time I go shopping. I want to cut down on starchy carbs a bit.

12. EmiW

EmiW New commenter

It was ok Chica. Just lots to get used to. We had Inset today and another tomorrow so I have plenty of time to get myself sorted. Then the kids are back on Wednesday. Scary!!
    I love the taste of sweet potatoes. Are they better for you than a normal jacket? I'm never sure about the whole carbs thing. my "Glamour" magazine said for weight loss you shouldn't mix fat and carbs. But I am not sure how reliable some daft magazine is.
    Hope Jack is ok after his jabs! I think I would have nearly cried too. Babies are so small and cute it must be awful seeing them have an injection. Well done on the personal training. Bet you will be back in your pre pregnancy jeans in no time!

13. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I think when you do the slimming world thing you don't mix carbs with meat, so you either have pasta and veg for example, or meat and veg, but never spaghetti bolognaise or shepherds pie or whatever. Since you're a veggie, I guess that'll never be an issue though!
    Sweet potatoes are better I think. I don't think potatoes are that bad though, especially with their 'jackets' on! It's the processed carbs like bread and pasta you should keep clear of, or eat as little as possible.
    Jack is ok I think. I've taken his temperature and it's normal. It was horrible to see him having the injection as he obviously doesn't understand what it is. I'm not a fan of injections myself but at least I know why i'm having one when I do!!!
    I always find the first day back to school after the Summer hols really hard, even at the same school, so you must be pretty nervous. I will be SO scared when I go back in Feb, although all the kids will know me apart from the Y7s.
    I hope i'll be back in my jeans soon! When it gets colder i'll need something to wear and i'll get bored of leggings and long tops pretty quickly.

14. Really not the case!

15. EmiW

EmiW New commenter

Helpful reply there! Which bit isn't the case? The bit about not mixing carbs and meat, or it not being an issue cos I am veggie?
    I'm not really following a slimming world type thing, just curious about what I'd read. Although like I said, probably best not following the advice from a magazine!

16. The first bit about not eating things like spag bol and shepards pie.
    We eat those, and chillis with rice, chicken curries and rice, steak and homemade chips.
    I could go on :)
    It isn't brilliant to eat fat and carbs together.

17. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I said 'i think' as I don't know for a fact, i've never done slimming world, am just going on what i've heard/seen of it.
    And PFF, just because you eat meat and carbs together, does that mean that's what everyone should do then?? Are you the nutrition expert of TES?! [​IMG]

18. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I really wouldn't bother following some diet from a magazine. I'm sure you know what's healthy and what's not.
    My PT told me to make sure I have protein with every single meal as it's more effective for losing weight. Plus she said not to have as many carbs.

19. Yes. I am.

20. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter