1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

want to lose weight for summer hols

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by beckie99, May 4, 2009.

1. EmiW

EmiW New commenter

I make fajitas with spray oil, quorn mince, peppers, onion and tomatoes.
    Salsa just has tomatoes/chilli/peppers and lemon juice. The wraps aren't hugely fattening and you can serve them with salad to bulk it up, and natural yoghurt instead of sour cream. Not the healthiest but I wouldn't say its full of calories. Nachos probably a little bit harder to make healthier though, I agree with that!

2. The actual wraps are the worst part of it all. Even 'wholemeal' ones are full of calories.
    I absolutely love fajitas but they have to be a treat.
    I don't do them with mince though, real fajitas should have lots of yummy chicken or beef in.
    Now I've made myself really hungry!

3. I'm just jealous really! [​IMG]

4. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

*** did I actually say they were healthy? I had one wrap with a tiny bit of chicken and some peppers and spices in it, and a few nachos which are corn tortilla chips with some cheese and salsa made with tinned tomatoes and chillis.
    Do some people actually like to make others feel bad?
    If you read my other threads I am back to exercising 4 times a week 7 weeks after having a baby, so give me a break. I've been eating so healthily so I really don't think my meal tonight will make a lot of difference.
    I lost 3 stone last year so I think I know about calories and so on. Thanks.

5. EmiW

EmiW New commenter

Sorry if anything I said made you feel bad Chica. Not my intention at all.

6. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

I think Lily and Pink are being a bit ridiculous here. It's clear that Chica's fajitas are a treat from what she posts - she's having friends for dinner (as company not on the plate, that is - that would be VERY calorific!). Besides, she has eaten next to no calories all day with a bowl of cereal which will be less than 200 calories, and a tuna salad which won't be much more than that even if a massive pile of tuna is used.
    I have fajitas every once in a while. Two fajita wraps are the worst part of the meal but if you mix your own spices and use lean chicken and lots of vegetables, the actual filing is very low fat. I make my dressings from reduced fat creme fraiche and a sqeeze of lemon juice, and salsa contains next to nothing. I have mine with a big salad and a few homemade potatoe wedges.
    Nothing wrong with it so long as you work the rest of your day's food around it. Personally, I no longer count calories/points etc as it drove me truly bonkers. However, what Chica ate seems fine.

7. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

At last, someone with some sense!!! Thank you Eva! And Emi, you didn't upset me at all.
    I looked at the wraps - one has 168 calories. That's less than 2 slices of bread. I only had one. We used 6 chicken breasts for the fajitas, and some peppers, and spices. That's it. There were 4 of us and there is over half of the mix left. We had salsa with it, which was made from tinned tomatoes and chillis. Highly calorific, I know!! Gotta watch those tomatoes! We didn't have sour cream or anything.
    The most calorific thing we had was cheese with the nachos. They were made from doritos which aren't that high in calories.
    If i'd said I had a chicken sandwich and a packet of crisps for dinner would you think it was highly fattening?? Because that's basically what it was!
    I'm not counting calories now, just making sure I don't snack between meals (apart from fruit, or nuts and raisins) and eat generally healthy food. I do have a rough idea of how many calories are in things though so I will make sure I don't go over a certain amount.

8. EmiW

EmiW New commenter

Glad I didn't offend you! Was just trying to point out to the 2 previous posters that fajitas aren't the worst thing in the world to eat, and so what if you had some nachos? You have such a healthy lifestyle that a few treats here and there won't do any harm.
    I am going to go to the gym soon for some weights/interval training. Need to keep my mind off tomorrow. First day at a new school. Very nerve wracking!

9. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

You're going back to school already Emi? It is only August, isn't it? Or has having a baby messed with my sense of time so much that it's actually now September?! Oh, I suppose you could be in Scotland?
    Good luck at the new school though! I would love to get a job at another school, but I can imagine how scary the first day would be. How long were you at your previous school?
    I'm going to go to the gym later today for weights and interval training too. I've got personal training tomorrow and Wed. I think i'll do aerobics on Tues morning and step on Thurs morning. I hope the weather stays good so I can go for walks in the afternoons with the pram.
    I plan on going back to work after maternity leave at the start of Feb. Hopefully I will be nice and fit by then and able to wear all my work clothes! I've also got a great tan now from all the walking i've been doing, but that will have faded by Feb. Everyone was saying how good and healthy i looked in my pics after having my baby. He was 10 days late so i'd had 5 weeks off work already to enjoy the sun!

10. fantastischfish

The fajita wraps are actually quite low in fat anyway, saturated fat that is. I'm not sure how anyone could comment that they are really terrible for you. Check out the really low saturated fat as shown on this link from the Discovery foods website (I always buy Morrison's own wraps, but I'm sure the nutritional value is just the same):
    http://www.discoveryfoods.co.uk/product/95/plain-flour-tortillas.html
    So according to that website, two fajita wraps would be 400 calories-ish, and 1.6g of saturated fat. That would be 6 weight watchers points, if anyone's interested. If you ate a whole chicken breast (unlikely, we always use 3 chicken breasts for 4 people unless they are really tiny) inside your fajitas, there's another 2.5 points or around 150 calories and >0.5g saturated fat. Spices etc are not calorific, nor is salsa. If you eat 2 fajitas, with chicken, veg and salad, you're looking at approx. 700 calories or less. I don't think that's too bad all in. In fact, provided she didn't snack the rest of the day, based on Chica's other food, she's probably still within her reduced calories diet even with the fajitas and some cheesy nachos.

I think this is a great idea. Apart from anything else, you are far too busy now as a mum to be worrying about counting calories! You know what's good for you and what isn't after being so disciplined for so long so you don't need to rigidly count. The best thing I ever did, mentally, was to give up counting calories and/or points. And I've lost more weight without counting that I ever did with. My advice is to listen to your body...if you are hungry then eat something, don't feel bad if you need to eat before your next meal, especially when you are back at work. A great tip for a sweet fix it to have a bowl of sugar-free jelly in the fridge. This is a trick I discovered years ago and completely forgot about. It was great! If I felt I wanted something after my meal, but didn't want to hit the fattening desserts and fruit just wasn't going to but it, jelly was often the answer. Strange but true!
    Meanwhile, enjoy your fajitas whenever you like! Oooh, I might make some tonight! My only problem is I like guacamole with mine; even though I make my own, it's very calorific. I guess it's the gym for me today to earn those calories ha ha!

11. EmiW

EmiW New commenter

I don't like jelly, but I always have low fat hot chocolate around for if I fancy a sweet fix - cadbury's highlights is 40 cals a cup and keeps sweet cravings at bay! Same kind of reasoning as the jelly!
    I am glad someone agrees with me about the fajita thing Eva, I wasn't being argumentative - just trying to say that they aren't exactly the worst thing to eat! haha. I have to admit I do like a bit of melted cheese and guacamole with mine, but avocados are good for you anyway.
    Chica, its not September yet - I am in Scotland and we go back tomorrow. I was only at my last school for a year. There arent many jobs up here so I have just been on long term temp contracts. I am relatively lucky though as I haven't been out of work since I trained. Some of my friends have really struggled.

12. fantastischfish

Oh agreed on the hot chocolate! I love the Options Belgian Chocolate one, or the chocolate orange one Mmmmm! Sometimes, I make a low-cal hot chocolate and add a bit off coffee for a bit of a mid-morning coffee fix. Yummm.

13. I love jelly. Hartleys no calorie jelly is lush.

14. fantastischfish

Mmmmm, agreed. It's probably full of other junk that's bad for you but I choose to ignore that in favour of the low-calorie yummyness.

15. Ok, definitely making fajitas this week and baking a chocolate cake! I only checked out the thread to see what everyone was up to!
    Have been eating white bread toast for brekky most days this summer; is this bad for me? Normally eat porridge when working.

16. Personally I would never eat white bread, a big no no in my eyes.
    Swap for brown/wholemeal

17. I know, PFF, I dont normally eat bread at all; just a lazy person's brekky I guess; been eating lots of juicy home-grown plums though.
    Trying to keep 'muffin' at bay incase tv people decide to use me for feature.

18. EmiW

EmiW New commenter

Wholemeal is healthier but I don't think having white toast during the holidays will do you any harm. I don't like most white breads but there is a deli near me that does organic crusty Italian bread... makes great toast! Yum yum!

19. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I always have wholemeal or granary bread when I eat bread. My personal trainer says that having egg on toast is better than cereal though, as eggs have protein in, whereas cereal is 100% carbs. If I do have cereal I have either fruit n fibre, branflakes, cornflakes or weetabix. I was making fresh fruit and yogurt every day when I was first on maternity leave.
    I think you're right Eva that I've got so used to calorie counts that I don't have to do it consciously anymore.
    We bought Sainsburys own wraps, and like I said they have 168 calories in them. There were 6 chicken breasts, and over half the mix is left, so that's the equivalent of less than 3 chicken breasts for 4 people. I had less than half a chicken breast in my wrap, probably a third of one.
    Honestly, anyone would think I said I ate an entire pizza and tub of ice-cream for my dinner!!!
    I'm just getting ready to go to the gym now.

20. Look back chica....you can see I was only jealous! I love fajitas. When I met my OH he would make me fajitas every wednesday lol. Aptly named fajita wednesdays.
    I always start my day with protein, nothing beats a mushroom omelette.