1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

want to lose weight for summer hols

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by beckie99, May 4, 2009.

1. its amazing not to gain when you're away i always do lol

2. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

For some unknown reason, I always lose weight whilst I'm on holiday abroad. Last year when I went to Turkey, I lost around 5lbs in 13 days, I was quite pleased! I think the reason is probably that I just LOVE eating salads and really light meals when I'm on holiday - the salad vegetables are always so fresh and tasty, especially in the Med, and I can't get enough of it. I also swim loads and walk a lot so this probably helps.

3. EmiW

EmiW New commenter

I am the same Eva. And swimming in the sea is so much more work for your body because of the extra resistance. I ate so much fresh fruit and veg, and bean salads and yoghurt. Even with the wine/beer with dinner I've lost a bit of weight.
    Started a new free weights programme at the gym. Definitely feel like I am doing more work, and am hoping to see results soon. My goal is to be comfortably back in size 10 by Christmas.

4. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I put on a pound when I was in Cuba last year. Then again, it was 2 weeks all-inclusive and I drank a lot of rum!! It didn't take me long to lose that pound though.
    I started back at the gym last Wed and also went Thurs, Fri and Sun so I am back into my fitness routine now! My baby is 8 weeks old tomorrow and i'm probably about a size bigger now. My boobs suddenly got massive after having him, so i'm finding my old dresses hard to get into because of that and i'm having to wear a cardi over dresses or I get too many pervy looks from men! lol.
    I've been going out for a walk with baby practically every day, and i'm back to eating healthily i.e no chocolate, cake etc and no snacking between meals except for fruit. I want to be back in my jeans by Christmas, if not before. I'd like it to be by my birthday which is Oct 9th, but that only gives me about 10 weeks.
    I'm having a personal training session tonight and one on Wed. I thought i'd have 2 a week for a month or so to help me get back into it, and then just have 1 a week after that. i will ache tomorrow!!
    I feel a bit depressed sometimes when I look in the mirror, but then I have a gorgeous little baby boy and he is so worth it [​IMG]

5. fantastischfish

Oh my god, when you say it like that it makes the year go by crazily fast! I'm still in holiday-mode but the thought that in just 10 weeks it's going to be October never occured to me! Slow down, time!

6. EmiW

EmiW New commenter

Hope you and baby are doing well Chica! And you did so much exercise before that I bet you'll be back in your jeans in no time.
    Well, today has not been good. I've been SO hungry even though all I've done is a 30 min walk and some housework. (LOTS of housework though! Lots of heavy lifting and up and down stairs).
    I've had:
    Breakfast: muesli with blueberries
    Snack: Apple, 2 ryvita and hummus.
    Lunch: Mixed salad (Lettuce, spinach, avocado and tomato). 3 ryvita with cottage cheese
    Snack: Glass of milk
    Dinner is going to be stirfry quorn and veg with brown rice.

7. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

Yes it is scary how fast the year's going Eva! Even more scary since I will be 32 in Oct [​IMG]
    I hope that i'll be back in my jeans Emi! I can't afford to be buying new clothes, and I have so many nice ones anyway that I want to fit into again.
    I haven't been that hungry lately, don't know why. Maybe it's because i've been so busy, plus it's been really hot.
    Today i've had:
    weetabix
    panini from Costa
    I'll probably have salad for dinner, after i get back from personal training.

8. 4.5 mile run and 45 mins fitball tonight. I am in the zone at the moment exercise wise - could exercise every day if my body would let me! Hamstrings are v sore since Pump on Saturday though. To be honest I'm not watching what I eat majorly, I like food too much [​IMG]. The exercise will pay off eventually. I'll get there slowly but I WILL get there!

9. found I can touch the floor when standing up with feet spread; how did this happen? Never been able to do it before, ever.

10. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

Personal training was really good yesterday and she said that I am still really fit and it won't take me long to get my figure back [​IMG]
    She said I have to be good with what I eat, not just have a lettuce leaf for dinner! lol. I have to have lots of protein, which is fine. Lots of salads with prawns, tuna, beans, egg, or chicken. Easy!

11. EmiW

EmiW New commenter

I am trying to include lots of protein too Chica. Adding beans, eggs and cottage cheese to meals. I am thinking about starting to eat fish again, but I feel a bit guilty about it! Went to the gym this morning.. I have to say I feel a bit out of place in the free weights section of the gym but I am sure I'll get used to it. I did squats, deadlifts, lunges, lateral raises, shoulder presses and chest presses. Then 20 minutes of alternating sprint/jogging. I did feel knackered afterwards.
    I've also applied to enter the marathon next year! Downloaded a training schedule. Not sure how I am going to fit it in with the weight programmes. I am considering giving up the gym membership and just buying dumbbells to do it at home, and then running outside.

12. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

You're vegetarian Emi?
    I do all those weights that you do, and i find them really good. I feel a bit out of place sometimes doing weights as it's mainly men in the weights bit, but I just listen to my ipod and get on with it.

13. EmiW

EmiW New commenter

Yeah I've been vegetarian since I was about 14. I can't see myself eating things like chicken or beef, but I was thinking fish would be a nice way of adding a bit of healthy protein into my diet.
    I feel self conscious because its mainly men, but to be honest I've been concentrating so hard on keeping the right form and doing the exercise correctly that I assume everyone else is doing the same, not looking at me!

14. I couldn't even tell you who was in the gym...too busy concentrating on myself!

15. You can get your daily RDA and more of healthy protein without going anywhere near meat. Spinach, tofu, quinoa, soya beans, brocolli, lentils...I probably make my RDA more often now as a vegan than I did when eating meat!

16. EmiW

EmiW New commenter

I know there are tons of meat free sources of protein, and I do take care of my diet - been veggie for over 10 years now. I think its just after coming back from holiday where they had nothing vegetarian and I ended up eating nothing but mushroom risotto for a week! I had it it in my head that fish would provide more variety. But the idea of it still seems a bit gross. Hehe.

17. fantastischfish

Why not trying doing weights/cardio on alternate days instead of both together? At least during the holidays anyway, since you should always have a day in between weight training for the muscles to repair themselves (I'm sure you know that when you weight train, you effectively tear the muscle, and then it needs time to repair).
    This is what I do and I really feel the difference if I have a day's break between sessions; on the second day I usually feel I have a flatter tummy and I just feel generally more toned, as though something's really worked.
    Exercise-wise for me, I'm taking advantage of the nice weather and have been out on my bike a few times, as well as walking in the lovely hills and scenic countryside that we have up here (contrary to Phil and Kirstie's claims on channel 4!). Otherwise, I do no cardio in the gym (i.e. no treadmill, cross-trainer etc) but prefer to swim. Throughout the holidays, I have swam and done weights on alternate days, although I haven't swam on days when I've been out on the bike, been walking or climbing.

18. fantastischfish

I often don't bother with meat, even though I'm a not a veggie. I love quorn and find it sometimes much tastier than chicken in many dishes. Beans are also great for protein, and I eat loads of dishes that have a variety of beans in - they are delicious. I'm not sure I could be 100% veggie though as I think I'd get bored of struggling to find something to eat in some restaurants. Also, you really can't beat a nice, bloody steak! lol

19. EmiW

EmiW New commenter

I go running nearly every day anyway Eva so I am always leaving a day inbetween weight sessions. The sprinting/jogging I was doing was some High Intensity Interval stuff - the guys at the gym swear by it for after a weights session.

20. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

My personal trainer always has me doing weights first, for about half the session, and then intervals on the cross trainer and treadmill, and it really worked for me like that, and when I go to the gym on my own I do the same.
    I was thinking of doing aerobics this evening but I still ache a bit from yesterday, and I have training again tomorrow, so i may just rest today. I've been for a walk anyway.