1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Want to leave

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Samiul27, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Samiul27

Samiul27 New commenter

Hi all,

I'm currently working as a HOD in a secondary school, started the job in September. The classes had supply for a year so my targets were to finish 2 years worth of work in 1 year with 4 classes.

But i want leave due to Headteacher being a bully, im thinking of handing in my resignation for Easter but i know if i do so I wont get a favourable reference.

Is it possible not to give my current employment as a reference?

Thanks

2. Flowersinspring

Flowersinspring Lead commenter

Sorry to hear this. Have a long mull over half term. Don't want to run but bell's just gone. Take care.

Samiul27 likes this.
  3. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

You can use previous schools, but you have to have something from your current school for safeguarding reasons.

If you can stick it out for another couple of months, you'll get into the summer term and there will be more jobs to choose.

agathamorse and grumpydogwoman like this.
  4. Samiul27

Samiul27 New commenter

I can wait but i know from previous staff resignations the Head holds a grudge.

5. tumtitum

tumtitum New commenter

Will it make a difference to your reference if you leave at Easter or in the Summer? If not, and you definitely want to leave either way, do you have funds if you can't find a job? If so, life is too short to be miserable.

agathamorse likes this.
  6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Nope!

If you hate it then find a new job and go.
    If your head makes your life hell after you hand in your notice, then so be it. At least the end will be in sight.

agathamorse likes this.
  7. celago22

celago22 Established commenter

Just leave. If your HT is not very nice then you need to leave sooner rather than later.

A previous HT gave me a negative and untrue reference. Resolved it when I lodged a grievance.

agathamorse likes this.
  8. install

install Star commenter

Seeing as you have been there only since September is it not worth contacting your old school to see if there are job offers there? Chat with the ht - let them know you hate it.

Bullying hts are rife in some schools..And typically applications will.ask for a ht reference and someone who can vouch for you in terms of safeguarding/ disciplinary etc.

In a similar position years past I did get on very well with Senior Colleagues and used them as my referees. Where it requested the ht, I wrote beside it the role of the Senior Colleague instead.and their link with me. So no fibs.

I ended up getting a job. Needless to say, the ht was furious but could do nothing about it.

9. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

Depends if you go for a role working within a professional institute? If you want to another HoD or teaching role, then yes, a reference from a current employer or most recent will be required.