1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Want to leave teaching

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TeamCooper, Dec 2, 2019 at 6:16 PM.

1. TeamCooper

TeamCooper New commenter

Hi

Anyone know of any websites that skills match please? I am HOD and can no longer take the constant scrutiny, advisory service (that doesn’t advise only criticises), the 60 hour week, the list goes on. I have been a teacher for 16 years and still love teaching, but I need to explore something else now because my mental state is suffering. Thanks

2. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

You might be better re-posting this (and searching previous threads) in the Workplace Dilemmas forum, where the leaving teaching query is very much a hoary old chestnut.

nomad, Jamvic and monicabilongame like this.
  3. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Established commenter

Hope you find the courage to leave.
    There are lots of things to do. Work to be done.. all that.
    Hate to hear about teachers suffering. With it comes that downward spiral that makes you think you can't do anything else!

Jamvic and BertieBassett2 like this.
  4. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

I was in a similar situation after 21 years of teaching. I found a job overseas and things were a lot better - stayed there for 17 years.
    Perhaps consider this option.

Jamvic likes this.
  5. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Established commenter

It is not just teaching though. My friend has left Speech and Language Therapy. She was passionate about re training for SLT - she was a Medical Physicist. She has left SLT to be
    ..... a post person.
    Because the **** of the system had ground her down. And she likes walking.

6. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

The healthiest, nicest and happiest man I know is our local London postie. He is a beaming beam of positivity.

7. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

I would LOVE to be a postie. Fresh air, exercise, no work to do in the evenings, just deliver the letters, say hello to everyone you meet and then home early for a nap.

8. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

Our local postie is amazing! Once he flagged me down in my car to give me a parcel so I wouldn’t miss it!
    The one thing I wouldn’t like would be having to be out in the rain!

Jamvic and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Flowersinspring

Flowersinspring Senior commenter

How strange. An ex colleague left suddenly to become a ...postie. I'd do it but I am not going to inflict my legs on the general public. (It IS obligatory as a postie to wear shorts all year round, isn't it?)

Jamvic and (deleted member) like this.
  10. teapot24

teapot24 New commenter

Soubds idyllic. I wonder how lovely it would be in gale force winds and torrential rain...

Jamvic likes this.
  11. keyboard2

keyboard2 Established commenter

Please don't leave.

We are very short as it is. So many teachers leaving the profession.

Perhaps change your school?

12. fraisier

fraisier Established commenter

Being a postie (no stress, relative freedom, no SLT, no Ofsted, no classes of 30+, no discipline issues, no difficult parents and colleagues to deal with, no micro management, nobody breathing down your neck all the time - or creating that oppressive Big Brother atmosphere -, no ridiculous targets, no accountability beyond doing one's job, no etc. etc.) naturally sounds attractive for us teachers but it's not that bril' a job.

I was a postie for over 2 years (7 months in a row after being discharged from my military service in the mid-80s - I had to fill the time between Feb and September so I took that opportunity to work as a postman, and I'm glad I did - and then 2-3 months in the summer, usually June & July, in the early 1980s), the reality is that it's 6 days a week having to get up at 4.30 or 5am tops (with your sleep patterns in danger of taking a battering), all year round save for the 5 weeks off and poor pay.

Also, if you're a relief/cover postie or whatever they call it in England (someone whose job is to cover for absent colleagues), it's very tough as you're bound to finish your assigned round at 3 or 4pm instead of the usual 1pm (or before if you're very quick and have a less demanding round). The reason for this being twofold: a) it takes time - weeks - to sort out the post very quickly with a new or unfamiliar round, an average postie who knows his/her round well can sort out his/her post in the right order less than 2 hrs when a newbie would take 4 hrs+ b) it takes time to know your round spatially speaking.

But yeah, I can perfectly see how it appeals to a lot of stressed out people, not just teachers.

Jamvic likes this.
  13. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

If you rearrange all the letters of "Postmen",
    they get really annoyed.

Lalad, primarycat, nomad and 2 others like this.
  14. nomad

nomad Star commenter

:D:D:D

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  15. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

Being a postman isn't always a great job.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  16. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 New commenter

17. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Co a CELTA, then you can teach English here or anywhere!

18. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Dont bother with celta. You are a qualified teacher, you can teach anywhere and earn significantly more than anyone teaching celta.... and if you are lucky, significantly more than any teacher in the UK

19. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Our Business Studies teacher left to work in the PO. Not a postie though, just another experienced respected teacher who wouldnt put up with the asterisks.

Shedman and Mrsmumbles like this.
  20. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

The early starts are a pig, but you have all the camaraderie of the job, the variety, combined with a workout...he loves it. Must be the ultimate teacher downsizer job...both are independent roles with teamwork, speedy skills and organisation all chucked in!

Shedman and (deleted member) like this.