1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Want to leave teaching

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by LawCitizenshipPHSE, Feb 2, 2019.

1. LawCitizenshipPHSE

LawCitizenshipPHSE New commenter

Hi everyone

I'm hoping someone will be able to offer some advice. I have been in teaching for only 5 years now and want to leave. For financial reasons I can't just go into supply until I find another job. Ideally I need to find another job before I resign. I'm just not sure what is out there that I could do which pays at least the same as teaching. Any suggestions please?

TIA

2. SCAW12

SCAW12 Occasional commenter

There are many posts about this. Sorry you feel like this. Read something about someone going into the Civil Service successfully this week. Without a pay cut might be tricky.

agathamorse likes this.
  3. agathamorse

agathamorse Occasional commenter

Also due to notice periods required in teaching it will be hard to find a job that would be willing to offer you a job that you can’t start until the end of the next term. You could be lucky and find one just before the resignation deadline that might be prepared to wait 6 weeks.

install and postieno1 like this.
  4. LawCitizenshipPHSE

LawCitizenshipPHSE New commenter

I know...the notice period and the set times could make it difficult. I just need to get out of teaching for my own wellbeing. I'm willing to take a small pay cut for the right job if i kniw there's possibility of progression. There are a lot of jobs out there which would mean taking 6-10k pay cut which I can't do :,-(

5. agathamorse

agathamorse Occasional commenter

A 6k pay cut isn’t that bad, believe me! My husband lost his job and we’ve taken a 35k pay cut! It’s not east but you find ways to trim your cloth. We haven’t had a holiday in 11 years apart from a few days camping in the UK. We rarely buy new clothes, we buy secondhand. It’s better to look at it as a small step back for a huge leap forward.

6. thin_ice

thin_ice New commenter

If you want to leave, do it.

If you put it off, you’ll start to find it harder financially to quit. There must be loads of posters on here who say ‘I’m desperate to leave but can’t afford to’.

This will send your stress levels through the roof.

Look at the numerous threads on here that give very good advice.

Shedman, Presleygirl and agathamorse like this.
  7. Presleygirl

Presleygirl Occasional commenter

Ok I’m going from my current post hopefully soon, and yes I will be doing supply or even office work. For me I had to get out before I had a nervous breakdown. No I wouldn’t just quit a job but ...... it was that or lose my mind, family etc.
    Yes I am scared stiff but ..... if it doesn’t work out I will do whatever I need to do.

Shedman and agathamorse like this.
  8. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

As others have said on this thread, you may find jobs on the same pay as teaching hard to find initially. Look upon any lost pay now as an investment in your future. Teachers' pay has fallen year on year when allowing for inflation over the last decade and with just a 2% recommended pay rise for teachers next year which is unfunded by government, your pay is being eroded away and there is no sign that it will EVER get any better.

I cannot recommend a specific occupation for you to go into but think for a moment about the people who live in your street or road. These are people who are enjoying a broadly similar standard of life as you but most of them will have jobs outside of teaching. Some of them may be finding things a bit of a struggle to manage but others may be more comfortably off. You do what you have to do to pay the bills even if that means doing some private tuition in the evenings or even getting part time evening work cleaning or behind a bar or reception.

You give no reasons for your wanting to leave teaching but if we are to assume it's the unrelenting pressure, scrutiny, unrealistic expectations, stress and ill-health that afflicts many other would-be leavers then you really couldn't be working harder or under more pressure than you're currently doing. Surely a job or a number of jobs in which you work hard but at the end of the shift simply going home without stress or worry has to be an improvement.

In the short term you say you're not sure what's out there and ask for advice. The best way to find out about how you'd fit into a non-teaching career is simply to start applying for some jobs. Look through the local job ads online and start applying for jobs with pay around what you earn now or perhaps a little less depending on how much you can afford to lose per month temporarily. Once you get yourself in front of an interviewer then you can start discussing opportunities for progression and if you sell yourself well enough they might have something coming up in the future that you would be a good fit for. Seemingly uninspiring jobs may be more interesting than you imagined or could lead into challenging and exciting directions.

One thing's for sure, if you want to get out of teaching then YOU'VE got to make it happen.

I wish you every success.

agathamorse likes this.
  9. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Ever since I retired I tell Mrs Shedman that every day spent with her is like a day spent on holiday. In these gloomy winter days I say to her, 'There may be grey skies overhead but you are my little patch of blue sky through which the sun shines into my life'. She thinks it's just the normal Shedman banter. Perhaps one day she'll realise just how much I mean it.

bajan and agathamorse like this.
  10. cazp123

cazp123 New commenter

[This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]