1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Want to leave new job ( 2 months in)

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Samiul27, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Samiul27

Samiul27 New commenter

Hi all,

I recently started a new job which on first glance seemed a really good place to work, but now having discovered the culture of bullying and targets that cannot be achieved, I want to leave. Only positive aspect is my LM who is very supportive but has very little say due to pressures from SLT.

Will it be too early to start applying for other jobs now?

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

You need to look at your notice period (most likely "resign by 31st October to leave wef 31st December" but it can vary).

Much depends on whether you can afford to leave without a new job to go to. The chances of getting a job offer by 31st October are probably fairly small at this point, although obviously if you see something advertised on that timescale, go for it. If not, you have to decide between sticking it out for another term, and resigning with the risk of not having work in January. There's supply, but obviously that has no guarantees either.

When you do decide to apply for another post, you should ask your head about a reference before applying - you will need a reference from your current head, and they don't usually like it if they first they know about you applying is the reference request. Try to find a way to phrase it to your head that doesn't criticise your current school: perhaps you've discovered that the commute to your current school is worse than expected, and something's come up nearer home; maybe you feel that you are better suited to a larger/smaller/more rural/whatever school.

In applications, obviously they may wonder why you want to move on so quickly. Again, try to avoid criticism of the current school; focus on why the job you are applying for is the ideal one for you. Perhaps your brief time in a small/large/rural/urban school has made you realise that your strengths are in the opposite...
    (If the schools are local to each of other, of course the school you are applying to may know the culture at the one you are at, and read between the lines - if they think the culture is madness and you're right to get out, they'll understand; if they don't, you probably don't want to work there either.)

Piranha, steely1, phlogiston and 4 others like this.
  3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Agree with frustum. It is possible to do as you want, but needs care to do so without causing upsets. If you can face working the whole year that would definitely be better.

4. MissGeorgi

MissGeorgi Occasional commenter

This has happened to me many times... you interview for what you think is a nice job, smiling faces, welcoming, etc... then after you start the job, you suddenly realise what it’s really like.
    I know this sounds bad, but if your job depends on following the culture, you may need to do just that. Don’t leave a job right now, wait until Easter, that’s the main time for job applications. Other people may feel the same, you may be able to find someone who you can confide in, and ask for advice. Read the school, look after yourself.

5. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

There are a lot of teaching jobs advertised round my way. You are not alone. It seems many teachers started a new post in September and have resigned already.

6. install

install Star commenter

It is never too early - but you will need a good reason for leaving.

7. SUPER.SUPPLY

SUPER.SUPPLY Occasional commenter

How very sad :(

8. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Of course, the big question is, when you see a post advertised, how do you find out how the post has arisen? If the previous person has resigned because it's a terrible place to work, it's probably best avoided. Maybe they simply didn't fit, or were always going to struggle, but how would you know that it's going to be better for you than for them? Or maybe everything was fine and they just happen to have found a promotion for next term, or are going off to do VSO, or relocating for a partner's job. I guess one clue would be whether the class(es) are being taught by supply at the moment.

Perhaps maternity covers are the safest, even if there's less job security - at least there's a sporting chance that the previous person has enjoyed working there.