1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Want to leave an international post before it has started

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Alexbartlett, Aug 8, 2019.

1. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Well, englishdragon, it might well be that your experiences with Search Associates are rather different to mine. Yes, that might be possible. However, I have heard (from several different sources) that SA do indeed "black ball" schools who do not play by the rules. Search Associates will refuse to work with those schools in future and will do their best to warn candidates. Perhaps jobfairs have gone out of fashion these days, but I found that they did provide candidates with an opportunity to network and share experiences. In my view, this also helped to reduce the likelihood of schools behaving dishonestly.

Yes, englishdragon, there is indeed an organization that likes to take a fat fee, however badly schools mislead teachers in their advertisements and however shamelessly the schools break all of their promises. This organization has repeatedly done its best to stop teachers from "naming and shaming" schools. And the name of this organization? It's called "the TES".

Some wise words from old gulfers, as per usual.

dumbbells66 likes this.
  2. the hippo

I have written to the OP, apologizing if indeed I have been too harsh and unfair, giving him my personal e-mail address and my SKYPE username, should he wish to give me a call. I do not know what else I can do to help.

Recently an dear old friend (yes, he was Bulgarian) of mine died. Mrs. Hippo and I have known him for many years and in fact we met him just after we bought our house. It is going to be hard, adjusting to the idea of living in this country without him. I suppose we all make plans for the future, but something unexpected can happen and then we wonder how we can carry on.

IkzJ01, T0nyGT and blueskydreaming like this.
  3. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

In response to englishdragon: Far from simply pocketing the loot, I have known Search Associates to cancel a lucrative contract and blackball a school which had summarily dismissed a teacher without good cause. The Associate concerned (based in a different country) also arrived in person to rescue the teacher, who had been dumped outside the school gates with no means of support. The husband of the doughty rescuer is famous for having sacrificed his trousers on behalf of another teacher in dire straits. A certain Phoney Pharaoh, iconoclast of this forum and no friend to the exploiters of poor teachers, often quoted this as a shining example of far beyond the call of duty. I smile to think of what PP might have said to those who call the Hippo 'harsh'. God rest his aged bones somewhere. He died (or at least was banned) full long agone.

4. 4019775

4019775 New commenter

Do what is right for you. Don’t even give an international school a second thought. The “circuit” is full of greed driven con people and fraudsters who will not give you a second thought.

As for being sued that will not happen. It is a hugely costly affair to enforce/chase a court ruling or debt across international borders. Literally many tens of thousands of pounds with no guarantee of success. Even large companies balk at cross border court action. Don’t believe me? Book a 30 minute appointment with a lawyer. They will tell you the same.

International schools are largely in the gutter. I know my old school UK private would not let anyone from the “circuit” through the door. You got a lucky escape.

Teachallover and Tartan01 like this.
  5. 4019775

4019775 New commenter

The hippo as usual full of it. No such thing as “British law” English law, Scottish law..... but “British law” nah. Contracts also usually state the courts of which country have jurisdiction on the matter and the hippo has no idea what your contract stated. Just think if British law applied how would the school have any legal comeback while you were working for them in that country? If you are worried about being sued book 30 minutes with a good lawyer £200 well spent if it gives you piece of mind. They will tell you zero chance of being sued. I speak from experience.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  6. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

4019775 - give the Hippo the benefit of the doubt in that if he was quoting from the contract which would have been written in Egypt by someone with very little knowledge of the legal systems in the UK (or by someone in England who assumes there is only one - they do exist, y'know) then it might well have said that.

To the OP - your first concern must always be your own health. Speak to your GP - if they think that you are not fit to travel, or that you are not in the right place for an international job, ask them to write a letter to the school confirming this (you might have to pay for it.) Ultimately though, it's to nobody's real benefit if you reluctantly go and find your instinct was right - the school get a teacher who is unhappy from the outset, you aren't giving your best and this comes through to the kids, so nobody gains. A sensible HT will see this - although there are a few who don't....

Finally - 4019775 - there are a lot of **** international schools, but then there are also a lot of **** private schools in the UK too.

Mainwaring likes this.
  7. the hippo

Well, I am not a lawyer, and I have never claimed to be one, 4019775. But I was explaining what really happened in one school where I was teaching. (The deputy head was - and still is - a friend of mine and he confirmed what I had heard from a variety of sources.) As I understand it, the head got his solicitors in the UK to write some not very pleasant letters to the "no show" teachers, threatening them with court action in the UK, and they duly paid up. You may choose not to believe me, but that is the truth. And no, this probably was not (or would not be) "cross border" court action if the contract was signed in the UK, the solicitors are in the UK and the OP lives in the UK. Sometimes the threat of legal action is enough for people to think again and then go for an out of court settlement. But, as I said, I am not a lawyer and maybe I don't really know what I am talking about. But I would suggest that if someone is already suffering from some sort of mental stress or emotional problem, then even a nasty letter from a solicitor could have a devastating effect.

amysdad makes a good point, as it is quite likely that a sensible HT might well agree that it would be best for everyone if the OP stayed in the UK, especially if this is backed up by a letter from a GP. This might be the best course of action.

8. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

Finally - 4019775 - there are a lot of **** international schools, but then there are also a lot of **** private schools in the UK too.

And lots of **** teachers who think they know better than anyone else despite their inexperience.

My own asterisks so as not to upset the mods:)

the hippo likes this.
  9. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

Pray do not persecute the eejits. They add spice to this sadly lack-lustre forum. Remember the wise words of Lady Bracknell: 'Ignorance is a delicate, exotic fruit. Touch it and the bloom is gone'.

oldgit and MsBuzy like this.