1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Want to do a SCITT course but want to teach overseas... Advice please!

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by MaureenO, May 7, 2012.

1. Can anyone tell me why SCITT courses aren't recognised internationally? Is there an official reason why not? Where can I find this information? Is there anything I can do (maybe an MEd?) to 'top-up' my SCITT course after completion to enable me to teach overseas? Thank you for your help!!

2. Can anyone tell me why SCITT courses aren't recognised internationally? Is there an official reason why not? Where can I find this information? Is there anything I can do (maybe an MEd?) to 'top-up' my SCITT course after completion to enable me to teach overseas? Thank you for your help!!

3. lovely.lady

lovely.lady Occasional commenter

You are better off doing a PGCE - it doesn't give you as much pupil-contact but it is recognised worldwide!

4. Thanks for your response - I think that's what I'll end up doing as that's what most people seem to say. Do you have any idea why getting QTS through other means (like SCITT or GTP) isn't recognised abroad?

5. My husband got QTS through the GTP and has had no problems teaching abroad.... There are a few countries where we've heard it could be an issue, but he's worked in China and has been offered positions in Poland, Oman, Serbia, Egypt, Romania, France, Hong Kong, and Singapore.

Anyway, I thought that many of the SCITT programs include a PGCE?

6. The one I want to apply for didn't mention a PGCE but I'll double check with them. Maybe it's something I can arrange through the Open University. Thank you :)