1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Want to become a maths teacher, but is there jobs?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by teacherofhope, Feb 7, 2012.

1. I live in Scotland and is the job situation impossible to get a job as a maths degree?

I would move to the north of England, is it also impossible to get a job there?

I am worried about committing to this career incase I can't get a full time/part time job. Thanks everyone, I will greatly appreciate any opinions.

2. I live in Scotland and is the job situation impossible to get a job as a maths degree?

I would move to the north of England, is it also impossible to get a job there?

I am worried about committing to this career incase I can't get a full time/part time job. Thanks everyone, I will greatly appreciate any opinions.

3. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

There are probably more Maths teacher jobs advertised than for any other subjects. I live in the south west and all Maths trainees secured teaching posts by the February during the training year for September starts. They advised me that there were about 3 candidates at each interview.
    However, there are Maths teachers on these forums who are unemployed and I understand parts of the north have a lot of competition. If you were prepared to move anywhere in the north of England I would say you have a good chance but it will all depend on how well you do at interview when it comes down to it.
    There are no guarantees with teaching at the moment, things are tough for jobseekers. But Maths will always be on the school priority list so there will always be more jobs than for any other subjects.

4. Hi I can't comment on the job situation in Scotland, however secondary maths is considered to be a priority area of recruitment in both England and Wales. This is due to a shortage of maths teachers for the available positions.
    You will significantly improve your chances of finding employment if you are prepared to be flexible about the location. You can get an idea of the number of maths positions available by checking for advertised places on Local Authority websites, as well as the Times Educational Supplement.
    I hope this information is useful to you, and I wish you the very best of luck
    Stephen Hillier, TDA