1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Want to be a Primary teacher in New York - advice

Discussion in 'Primary' started by imnotsleeping, Apr 21, 2012.

1. I've always wanted to work abroad so now I'm in my 3rd year of teaching and feel its time to take the plunge. The UK doesn't have much to offer right now so it's no better time to do it. Only problem is I do not know where to start. 

A British School or private school would be best for me. 

Who can tell me where to start? 

2. I've always wanted to work abroad so now I'm in my 3rd year of teaching and feel its time to take the plunge. The UK doesn't have much to offer right now so it's no better time to do it. Only problem is I do not know where to start. 

A British School or private school would be best for me. 

Who can tell me where to start? 

3. emmac1982

emmac1982 New commenter

I hope I'm not wrong here but heard it is very difficult to obtain a green card to work in America, and there may be some legislation that if an American national applies for the job over you then they will always get it. I hope someone can provide better advice than me. Are you limited to New York or have you considered elsewhere? The TES always has overseas advertisements. Best of luck to you.

4. Thanks for your message. No not limited to new York or the US. Would consider other places. Will look at international job pages on tes. Thanks. 

5. Have you looked on the teaching overseas forum on here? There is loads of advice about teaching in the US and all over the world. People are very good at giving advice and there are people posting from all over the world.