1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

want to ask colleagues for leadership feedback

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by blizzard, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I've already posted this on prof dev, but didn't get many replies. I hope a HT might be able to help me.
    I am leaving my current job and moving up to a higher leadership position. I want to ask some of my colleagues questions on my leadership and management. I feel that they know me quite well after a number of years and want to make sure I keep doing the things that are good, but perhaps think about some of the things that they might have found negative.
    I was wondering if anyone had any questions I could use or knew where I could find some?
    I don't want to do a whole 360 feedback because I don't want it to take ages for everyone. Just a few useful questions should do.
    Thanks.
    B

2. greta444

greta444 New commenter

I would ask for ratings between 1 and 10 and any pertinent comments. Easy for others to complete.
    How would you rate my communication skills?
    Organisation
    Decision making
    guiding others
    motivating others
    self motivation
    supporting staff
    delegation
    relationships with staff, parents, governors etc

Does this help?

3. Is it worth doing this? Surely people will only say what they think you want to hear. This may giive you a false sense of security. Every school you go to will require different leadership emphasis. You won't know how you'll fair until you get stuck in.

4. mrstiggywinkle123

mrstiggywinkle123 New commenter

Can I recommend that you have a look at Daniel Goleman (Harvard Business Review)Leadership that gets results. Take a hard look at yourself and develop those areas where you think you have a shortfall.
    360 feedback could be tricky. How about a simple anonymous questionnaire? I've been using them for my MA and am getting some reasonably honest results. Those staff who really don't feel comfortable just don't complete them.