1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Want a POWERPOINT writing?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by valed, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Casy

It's a Powerpoint ...... I used Powerpoint!!

Sorry!! Do you mean how to get the arrows extending from the initial point? I just draw in the arrow [using a plain line with a small arrowheaded line on top and group them], then right-click the arrow, click Custom Animation and select Add Effect / Entrance / Wipe (from below, if arrow pointing upwards etc) and Hey Presto!!!

WIPE is the best Animation effect in PPT - use it all the time - see Cumulative Frequency ppt and see the ogive go!!

Breath bated for Tuesday lesson 4 then....

2. Colleen_Young

Colleen_Young Occasional commenter

I know you used PowerPoint but I am so used to using all sort of programs (eg TurboCad, FxDraw etc etc) for diagrams and then copying and pasting for PowerPoint slides I wondered what else you used.

3. Sorry Casy - was being cheeky.

I am trying to incorporate dynamic stuff from Euklid and would have a go at Cabri [but don't have it]

Too poor a budget for softwre I'm afraid

Cheers

4. Colleen_Young

Valed I wondered what you used because those vector diagrams are excellent. But cheeky is OK anyway!

I was looking at details for Office 2007 yesterday - looks seriously good - a really different look to it - very easy to produce good looking documents, PowerPoints etc.

5. Not seen Office 2007 yet! Are the improvements that good? Where did you see it?

Night

6. Colleen_Young

In a Microsoft newsletter I think, but it must be on the Microsoft Office site. I must have been bored the other day because I sat and watched a video of Office 2007 in action.

I want it!

Sad or what!

7. Hi Valed,

sorry for the late response - would like the ppt. to have graphing solutions aswell as algrebraic solution for the intersection of a straight line and a circle, so I can show two different ways of doing the same thing to my students.

Cheers
    David

8. Colleen_Young

Valed - used your excellent vectors PowerPoint today with top set Year 10. It worked really well. They thought it was all very clear (helped by my fabulous explanations of course :) ) and were most impressed.

A really good lesson. So thank you again.

9. Casy - no probs

Glad it went to a good home...

.... although I am beginning to miss the little fella.....

10. DAVID100

At last, I produced the ppt you requested.

http://www.btinternet.com/~mathsanswers/html/powerpoints.html

Please have a look and give me your feedback.

I kept it as simple as possible, trying to cover all the syllabi. Reviewed graphing of circle and linear equations, example gives 'rough' graphical solution and accurate algebraic solutions [well, to 2dp anyway]

11. mmmmmaths

mmmmmaths New commenter

Tell me what's coming next and I'll rewrite our KS4 schemes of work for the rest of this year!!!!!

Seriously I really like the way you write your powerpoints. All the relevant detail, clear and unfussy ready for the teacher to teach with.

I've just done some work on the intersection of a line and a circle. The new pp will be excellent to use on Monday to recap.

Thanks

12. Colleen_Young

what mmmmmaths said

Year 11 Monday period 3 for me!

13. Well mmmmmaths & casy, thankyou very much for your comments!

I try to get the basic visual stuff working so I can teach over the slides - this time, the hardest part was to get the circle drawn!

14. Many thanks Valed,

looks fantastic - will use it with my class (Y11 Set1) this week and see we get on. I'll keep you posted.

Cheers
    David

15. weggster

weggster New commenter

Isn't it time that the government put ideas like these in one place (and include www.mymaths.co.uk) and also the MPEG teaching episodes that I've talked about?

16. Weggster - when exactly was the last time that the govt did anything remotely efficiently and effectively?

17. mmmmmaths

mmmmmaths New commenter

Yes keep the government out of it please as teachers will start to think that the ideas are being imposed on them!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Lets stick with discussing creative ideas about teaching maths that we can individually take or leave.

There is hope though in the form of http://www.ncetm.org.uk/
    (I have much respect for David Burghes)

For now 'tesstaffroom maths' is the place to be for CPD.