1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Want a POWERPOINT writing?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by valed, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Hi Valed, what I was thinking of was some general guidelines for algebraic proof, the processes to go through. For example the proofs that the sum of 3 consecutive numbers is always divisible by 3 etc. The kids have the most trouble formalising it. They can give a set of calculations but have difficulty in putting it into mathspeak.

2. emilyisobel

OK - I'll look at it but could you email me some questions to work on? san a page or something?

I find this is an extremely wide canvas to work on and am reluctant to attempt such a mammoth task in a humble ppt.

Maybe it needs breaking up into the different areas of proof.

mathsanswers@btinternet.com

3. Hi Valed,

Thanks for spotting the mistake - the topic revolves around algebra (for GCSE maths Higher students), have a powerpoint for intersection of straight lines and parabolas but needed one for intersection of lines and circles.

All circle questions have the centre as (0, 0) i.e x^2 + y^2 = r^2 but different a different radius each time.

Would be grateful if you could cook one up.
    Cheers
    David

4. David 100 - will do after Vectors BUT

Do you simply wish a ppt on graphing solutions [reading sols from points of intersection} OR do you want it to cover the algebraic solution as well [by way of extension]?

5. Casy - re POST 28

Sorry, I have only just read the post!!!!

Yes, I had ppts on Tandy's site but have posted them all on MathsAnswers too, just to srtart off the site

Would love to cover the GCSE syllabus, yes!!

6. Colleen_Young

Colleen_Young Occasional commenter

Had to nip back to post 28 there!

It is so useful to have a collection of resources isn't it? I love my IWB and am building up a collection of flipcharts as well as all the PowerPoints.

PowerPoints are useful in that the type of IWB doesn't matter.

7. I am also a big fan of powerpoints and love the ease with which I can look up my resources for a particular topic and re-use/add/adapt all the time instead of scribbling stuff down in my planner or onto scrap paper each time I teach something.

I have a Smart Board coming to me soon and was wondering if there is any software that will convert powerpoints into whatever format the Smart Board software is in? Also, are there any good sites with Smart Board resources?

8. Colleen_Young

Yes there are - can't remember where. There is also a forum somebody has just started - shall try and find it for you.

9. valed, sorry I've just read this and I will get back to you with some sensible ideas. Thanks.

10. Colleen_Young

11. CASY!!

Vectors ppt done and published on site. As before, will you run thru it and check for errors / make comment. I will admit, I have tried to cover the basics and not gone into proof - this may be part of a proof section later.

EMILYISOBEL & DAVID100 - Awaiting further instructions.

Anyone else any ideas?

12. Colleen_Young

Valed,

Vectors - fabulous - thank you so much.

A few thoughts -
    I am hesitating over the definition, most of the dictionaries seem to say something like
    'a quantity such as velocity, completely specified by a magnitude and a direction'

For the examples is it worth having the vector required in one colour and the route in a different colour, eg in the triangle example OS in one colour and the route OP+PS in another colour?

In your triangle example is it worth saying something like 'using our previous result for BC?'
    Vector questions often use previous parts of the question.

This really is excellent.

Tried to submit this through your site but I'm not sure if anything happened.

13. Colleen_Young

14. Casy - in a former life did you bang the drum on Roman galleys??

Yes - definition worried me too but I wrote it for OCR Modular [course we do at SMW] which is light on such things. I agree that many books go with a traditional definition - I would voice it in or add a text box if its a concern.

Yes - different colour for resultant - again I thought of this so I will change it.

Yes - previous result is implied.

No - nothing via email yet - did you use the contact me page? It's a bit slow on the BT server I find - quicker to jsut email me at mathsanswers@btinternet.com

Thanks for the proof stuff - I'm doing intersection of a circle and a straight line next for david100 - trying to show the circle being drawn in some way. Bit of a puzzler that!!!

TTFN

15. Casy - Vectors amended NOW!

16. Colleen_Young

Casy - in a former life did you bang the drum on Roman galleys??

Must have done Valed!

Your timing is so perfect! Starting vectors tomorrow with year 10......period 4!

17. Colleen_Young

What a hero!

18. Colleen_Young

You being the hero I mean - fixing the PowerPoint for my lesson.

Now I just need to change OCR to AQA - such hard work!

19. Come on, Casy - how did it go?

20. Colleen_Young

Change of plan Valed.

Took longer going through homework than expected today then discovered that my next two lessons are destroyed by trips!

So vectors starts next week

...Tuesday period 4!

Will let you know how it goes.

That PowerPoint is really good. What do you use to do your drawings?