1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Want a POWERPOINT writing?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by valed, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Tandy

Tandy New commenter

Hi Valed
    How about not focusing on a topic and doing something that brings lots of topics together in an investigation. I was thinking it might be good to have a stash of lessons about National Days, or holidays, events, etc...
    Suggestions: The March Equinox, London Marathon, Wimbledon, National Windsurfing Week (1-8 May), Noise Action Week (23-27 May), Summer Solstice, etc etc
    What do folk think? Would that make a useful bank of resources and a good opportunity to spend time talking to the kids about something interesting and relevant. Actually... thinking about it, I might put together something around the March Equinox now that I'm in the mood

2. Fill your boots, my old son! Bit too advanced for my poor old brain.
    [​IMG]
    BTW, only 30 days to go .... tick-tock [​IMG]

3. Tandy

Tandy New commenter

... and then you join me on the scrapheap!

4. You !! ???

5. Tandy

Tandy New commenter

Retired in December :)

Spend my days weaving whicker baskets now, I can highly recommend it!

6. DM

DM New commenter

Wow! The rest of us just make do with detentions.
    [​IMG]

7. Well, no feedback on the last two, so I suppose they were ok.....
    Any requests?
    Bored again
    Val

PS Only 30 days to go, tick-tock.... [​IMG]

8. Colleen_Young

Colleen_Young Occasional commenter

I like both of those Valed - nice additions to your collection.
    Thank you.
    Message sent re formulae.

9. Thanks - reply sent [​IMG]

10. Just updated my HISTOGRAMS powerpoint.
    There was the issue of classes of peoples' ages - eg 15 - 19 with upper limit of 20 - so I have added a page.

Cheers

Val

PS Only 20 days to go ............. [​IMG]

11. Colleen_Young

Colleen_Young Occasional commenter

Thank you Valed.

12. pipipi

pipipi New commenter

Could you designa powerpoint that counted down to a certain date and time, about 17 days from hence?

13. Can not conceive of any valid use for such a thing ........ [​IMG]

14. A nice chap emailed me the other day to say he liked em.
    So I thought I may write another
    Any suggestions?
    Yes, I'm bored [​IMG]

15. lancsHOD

lancsHOD New commenter

Task avoidance??? Thought you had a lot of marking to do.

How about some Functional Maths, percentages in real life contexts?

16. mmmmmaths

mmmmmaths New commenter

.....and best buys.....

(I prefer the small ketchup rather than the larger ones so that it fits on the shelf in the fridge door......don't care if it is the best value for money!)

17. Done one on that!

18. lancsHOD

lancsHOD New commenter

Hi Valed,
    I used the first part of the Percentage change ppt today, I really liked it as it was basically a ppt of the way I taught Percentage change with multipliers the last time I taught it. It made me think I should write more ppts, having the ppt means you can focus a bit more on pupils.
    An experienced colleague once complained that ppts made teaching too rigid but as long as you are happy to go off at a tangent or put more egs in if needed I don't see the problem.
    Thanks a lot for the ppts, very good of you.

19. Thanks! Glad you liked it
    Many know that I wrote a lot of my ppts when I was ill and bored BUT I did use them quite often - if I thought they were at the right level for my then class - to make key points.
    I could jump out of the ppt because I had a write-on board 18 feet long and 5 feet high along one wall - that was where I did all the written stuff and got pupils to write their solutions / ideas etc BRILLIANT!!