1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Want a POWERPOINT writing?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by valed, Apr 14, 2006.

1. I'm getting bored again [​IMG]

2. bbibbler

bbibbler New commenter

Does that mean you would like a project/Challenge?

3. Guess so!
    keep it at GCSE though please

4. bbibbler

bbibbler New commenter

What about matricies and transformation?

As in "Which matrix transforms shape A to shape B"

My students find it one of the hardest topics at IGCSE.

I teach the unit vector method and also the generalised method of letting the required matrix be ABCD and multiplying the original matrix and forming 2 sets of sym equations.

Some of my student just memorise the list of mattrices and the functions.

5. bbibbler

bbibbler New commenter

Just had a thought,is this in GCSE?

If not, just ignore me.

6. How about volume of a pyramid? Trying to explain where the formula comes from is always tricky! I think you would definitely get a gold medal if you succeeded with that one! And thanks for making your materials available, some real gems there.

7. I can do that! [​IMG]
    Gimme a few days
    Ta muchly

8. That's fabulous, look forward to seeing the results!

9. That's totally mint! Sorry for lapsing into teen speak but that's brilliant. I saw a pretty complicated example on NRICH with three pyramids fitting together but I think your six is much more intuitive, I like it a lot.

If it's not a trade secret, what are you using to draw your diagrams with? The one with the pyramid inside the cube looks particularly good.

Many thanks again, I only made the suggestion half jokingly but this will be really useful.

10. Thanks but I am such a NORB!!!!! [​IMG]
    There is already a MUCH better version of this already on MathsAnswers - the second last on the Shape menu.
    I really must check next time!!! How embarrassing [​IMG]

But, I was bored....
    .... and still am, actually .........

11. I hadn't heard of a NORB before so I googled it.

"NO Reason Boner
    Popular among thirteen year old boys.I got a NORB during gym class and had to goto the nurse for her to rub ointment on it."ps. I had forgotten that sort of proof for the pyramid. Thanks for the reminder.

12. Oops! [​IMG]
    Where I come from, NORB means a fool as in Nought-but-a-fool....
    ... you had to be there!
    Apologies for any offence....

13. Colleen_Young

Colleen_Young Occasional commenter

valed - just checking Algebra. Formulae - changing the subject- is that anywhere?

14. You need one?
    Unknown appearing once or twice or both?

15. Feeling a bit of a NORB myself: Valed's definition, would definitely be worried if it was Mathsteacher1963's definition;) I'd only raided Maths Answers a couple of days ago and forgot to spot the pyramid volume presentation.

Congratulations on the retirement, everyone who I know who has retired from teaching looks so relaxed!

16. Colleen_Young

valed both please - my Year 10s need this!

17. Any particular rush or can you defer it a week or so?
    As it happens, I need to teach my year 9's this after half-term so this is my next project.
    PPT will be in 3 parts: 1 = Subj once 2 = Subj twice 3 = New subj raised to a power
    I'll do examples of each type, step by step. I will not be reviewing factorisation, multiplying single term over bracket ...
    OK?

18. Colleen_Young

Sounds brilliant valed.

19. Change Subject of Formula is now available here
    Bit rough - comments / feedback please.
    Ta Val

20. New Powerpoint on LINEAR INEQUALITIES here

I would really appreciate any feedback on this and the 'Change Subject of Formula' one recently.
    Cheers

Val [​IMG]