1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Want a POWERPOINT writing?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by valed, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Hi Valed
    Thanks for another great powerpoint.
    Just a suggestion/thought, please feel free to disregard it though!!! Between slides 5 and 6, how about a slide mentioning Pythagorean triplets (stage7) being an example of similar shapes.
    Regards
    x

2. Poisson

Good grief, are you a mind reader?

That's exactly what I asked them as a HOTS question

... and none of them knew!

:)

So, not disregarding your point but I thought it best to leave it off so as not to give them everything.

Glad you like it, thanks

3. One day a mathematician decides that he is sick of teaching maths. So, he walks down to the fire department and announces that he wants to become a fireman.

The firechief says, "Well, you look like a good guy. I'd be glad to hire you but first I have to give you a little test."

The firechief takes the mathematician to the alley behind the fire department which contains a car, a water hydrant and a hose. The chief then says, "OK, you're walking in the alley and you see the car here on fire. What do you do?"

The mathematician replies, "Well, I hook up the hose to the hydrant, turn the water on, and put out the fire."

The chief says, "That's great... perfect. Now I have to ask you just one more question. What do you do if you're walking down the alley and you see the car is not on fire?"

The mathematician puzzles over the question for awhile and he finally says, "I set the car on fire."

The chief yells, "What? That's dreadful! Why would you light the car on fire?"

The mathematician replies, "Well, that way I reduce the problem to one I've already solved."

4. Colleen_Young

Colleen_Young Occasional commenter

5. WOW valed. Have read a few of your posts but didn't know about your site. Thanks very much. Will be able to use some of those with my Y6 top set.

Thanks

6. 1 45

You didn't know about my site!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agggggggghhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

Hope it is of use.....

... and, if you want anything writing......

7. I will certainly think about that. Very kind offer.

I have top set maths group all working at L5-6 so I do use a lot of KS3 materials.

Just found Emaths as well. Just joined here so that's my excuse!

8. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

You'll find it one of the few that's as friendly as primary, 145!

9. maths126

maths126 New commenter

Hi Valed - great to see you back on here.
    Thanks for the reminder about your fabulous MathsAnswers site [​IMG]

10. Thanks, Maths
    I have to admit, I do miss the old place and I have been watching from a distance over recent months but I confess that I only dropped in to leave my ppt.
    Have I missed anything?

11. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

Hi Valed! We have missed you, though you haven't missed a huge amount, though there was an interesting discussion about maths and religion, which has some thought-provoking comments, though somehow I have managed (somewhat against character) to avoid sticking my oar in! Also some quick and dry wit from DM and 126 - so no change there then!

Thanks for sharing another powerpoint; I wonder whether your site would be a good website of the month for my newsletter? Let me know what you think - you might not want everyone dropping by!

12. I don't think my site is that interesting tbh - it's just a repository for some Powerpoints really.
    But if you want to, please go ahead ... the more, the merrier!
    Cheers

13. Do you do any mechanics? Are you still bored?

14. I am bored....
    ... but not that much!
    Don't like Mechanics - never seen a particle and don't think I ever will.... Sorry. [​IMG]
    Seriously, I only write PPTs on GCSE to help me deliver topics - when I was bored, it was because I was on a long-term illness absence and I then wrote them for other people.
    I still write the odd one.....

15. In fact, there are several http://www.btinternet.com/~mathsanswers/html/powerpoints.html
    DATA
    Probability of Single Event - inc mutually inclusive [?]
    ALGEBRA
    Cubic Graphs - demo of graph drawing
    Reciprocal Graphs - demo of graph drawing and solution of linear equation
    SHAPE
    Naming Angles - not my best but effective discussion tool
    Similarity-Area/Volume - scale factor
    SOH CAH TOA - good one that!
    NUMBER
    Compound Measures - SDT, DMV & PD - I like this one
    These I have found on my pooter, lurking in a long-forgotten folder on my back up drive!
    Hope they can be of use....... [​IMG]