1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wanna teach abroad in the summer. Wasn't sure where to post this.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by amarshb, Dec 30, 2017.

1. amarshb

amarshb New commenter

I am currently a History/RE/Politics secondary NQT (on my way to passing my yr).

I would love to spend my summer teaching abroad. Has anyone got suggestions on where to look or any organisations I can contact.

I have a PGCE and QTS..

Any advice would be amazing.

Thanks

2. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

Try 'Teaching Overseas' and be specific about what you have in mind. Are you interested in teaching in an international or a 'local' school? Many northern hemisphere schools will be on vacation when you are. Be aware that if any organization agrees to take you on you will probably be expected to finance yourself, including air fares. If you search 'Brits volunteering abroad' you will come up with various possibilities including VSO.

3. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

If it's a short time and you want to earn money before starting a job in September, becoming a TEFL teacher in the UK is a more likely route as loads of foreign students come here on language courses in the summer months. Less exciting for you, but a much better chance to earn money.

4. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

You will need CELTA or TESOL to do this. Being a qualified teacher does not automatically give you the depth of knowledge that training for EFL does.

Mangleworzle and sabrinakat like this.
  5. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Yes, true, I forget about that, I did TESOL as a subsidiary in my PGCE. I did teach alongside people with just a PGCE in English though and my wife has also taught EFL despite not having an EFL qualification nor being an English teacher (she has taught French though). There is some flexibility from language schools.

6. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

More language schools, especially those recognised by the British Council, are starting to make it essential for a teacher to be qualified in TEFL and/or have experience of living/working in another country. A certain amount of knowledge about English Grammar is needed.