1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Walter Humes - Brilliant Again!

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by cochrane1964, Apr 26, 2012.

1. cochrane1964

cochrane1964 New commenter

Excerpt:

Staff were sent to a hotel for a couple of days and obliged to engage in a variety of tasks which required them to work together. There was much talk of vision, targets and strategic priorities. I always found these events deeply depressing (I'm embarrassed to admit that I have attended a few) as they encouraged insincerity, glibness and toadying. They did, however, provide a good platform for aspiring spivs who were adept at uttering the kind of banalities which appealed to senior management.
    While it is easy to make fun of superficial gimmicks such as huddles, the motives underlying them can be rather sinister. They are sometimes designed to suppress individuality ? allegedly in the interests of 'teamwork' ? and can easily lead to a form of 'groupthink', in which staff are expected to sign up unquestioningly to some corporate goal handed down from above. Genuine teamwork requires open and honest discussion, where disagreements can be aired and solutions sought. In extreme form, management huddles are actually a type of indoctrination.

2. catmother

catmother Star commenter

That just about describes any CfE inset that I've endured in the last few years!

3. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

" Really effective organisations allow the expression of dissent, learning from the process in order to do things better. In the course of my professional experience I came to the conclusion that the best managers were not those who surrounded themselves with yes men and women, but those who welcomed vigorous debate and challenge from their staff. "

There will be lots of hollow laughter in staff rooms over that one. The whole culture of educational management in Scotland is about taking orders from the top. That's how CfE has been driven and , fundamentally, why it is failing.

4. cochrane1964

cochrane1964 New commenter

Spot on. In education, each policy of the 'Management' is like the Ark of the Covenant, unassailable, perfect and to be worshipped by all and paid due tribute until the 'Management' decide it has failed all along and all of the massive effort by all is discarded like a used burger carton.

5. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Well said.