1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the new look TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide in the welcome lounge and help forum.

walt/ wilf - what do they mean

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Teacher_girl78, Jan 7, 2007.

1. Hia - i can never remember this
    what do walt and wilf stand for?

2. Hia - i can never remember this
    what do walt and wilf stand for?

3. I notice this thread has no recent replies.
    I have just finished my PGCE and thought what did WALT and WILF mean again?
    I put it into google along with teaching and guess what the top hit was?
    Yes precisely, this thread...
    I like the comment about a nomad being a sausage, it is just so cute and friendly.
    Happy days

4. I agree with nomad, yes I know there are 124000 different results on google, I have just tried, but the first results I have seen without scrolling down, are to do with teaching. This page came up and here I am now, so you should type it in google, see for yourself.

5. You're a teacher?...Jesus!!

6. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Senior commenter

Welcome to TES, cp ...

7. 6 1\2 years later I googled wilt and walt - what do I get? Top of the list is this! Hum!!!

I always use KI (key ideas) but have just moved into the infants and wanted to refresh my memory.

8. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Great thread. I wish someone would shoot WALT and WILF. I find them illogical and ungrammatical, and highly unmemorable. So do my children and so does every other child and parent in the class; in fact I don't think any of them or us have been told what they stand for.

What I am looking for: a school that does not use WALT and WILF and where the children learn to spell the word "learn" correctly, know what it means and where they learn something each day.

The only time I have found WALT or WILF useful is when my daughter told me she had different WALTs from the child next to her. Then I realised mine was receiving dumbed-down work for no good reason.

What is the point of children writing these meaningless capital letters again and again? There are other ways of putting headings in your exercise book that make a good deal more sense than this. You can imagine children from the last few decades showing their own children their school books in 20 years or so and being asked who WALT and WILF were. "Haven't a clue dear. Something they made us copy out and underline at the start of each lesson. Try googling it."

9. Nomad, while I think you're right with your suggestions of Google, I think you could have been more polite with your comment. Not many people have the same opportunity and training as you. Moreover we as teachers should be role models and be examples of good communication. A forum like this is to help us build skills not enemies. I hope you understand my point.

10. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Senior commenter

That comment was made 7 years ago, did you not feel you could let it lie?

11. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Stone me!!

12. palmtree100

palmtree100 Occasional commenter

I agree Mystery, the children don't need to be bombarded with teacher jargon and acronyms.

13. portugirl

portugirl New commenter

Haven't the terms been identified as "We All Now Know"?