1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

WALT and WILF

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by RamC, Mar 6, 2012.

1. RamC

RamC New commenter

Hi, just reading an Ofstead report from a local school, (which is now in special measures), in which they commented upon the use of WALT and WILF as "outdated and irrelevant" in the context of whole school planning. I was wondering if other people have come across this and what you are moving towards?

2. Bump
    ^

3. FANTASTIC - I've had this rubbish pushed at me at every meeting for the last couple of years, I have stood against the tide and have never uttered those meaningless acronyms in front of any class I have taught. I am a GOOD teacher with aspects of OUTSTANDING . We need children to understand the tasks they are undertaking, what they need to know to complete the tasks, the equipment/language that will help them and how to assess themselves against the lesson criteria. I can do this with 5 year olds without having to use Afl .

4. lou1990lou

lou1990lou New commenter

I was told that WALT means "We Are Learning Today"
    and WILF means "What I'm Looking For."

Most schools are changing now to Learning Objectives
    and Learning Objectives.

5. hare male - just checking that you are aware that what you have described is just about a perfect description of what AFL actually IS?

6. Exactly.... as usual it is what good teachers have always done and will always do without having some boffin justifying their role by remaking it to ludicrous effect.

7. whitestag

whitestag Senior commenter

Completely agree, haremale! They are a load of old cobblers. In fact, they are downright patronising for older children and potentially harmful to learning, especially when young children think they are doing their work to please a puppet or a cat called 'wilf'. Total nonsense.