1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wallace and Bruce

Discussion in 'Scotland - Primary' started by Lainyb, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Hi everyone,
    I'm about to begin a topic on Wallace and Bruce for the first time with a P7 class. There seems to be very little in the way of resources on the internet for this topic and just wondered if anyone had any helpful resources or websites that you have used when doing this topic.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Hi there
    I did Wallace and Bruce during my final placement in fourth year before the summer, although it was with a P5 class. However, most of the resources I used will still be relevant I guess, you could just adapt them.
    I found the BBC website very useful as an interactive basics of the story telling on the whiteboard
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/education/hist/wallaceandbruce/bb/

I also found these useful at LTS, where there are quite a few Wallace and Bruce activities

http://www.ltscotland.org.uk/scottishhistory/middleages/warsindependence/William_Wallace/index.asp

Most can be found here at this link

http://www.highlandschools-virtualib.org.uk/primary_curriculum/wallace_bruce.htm

I did a load of activities too about heraldry for English knights at Bannockburn, making coat of arms etc

If I can remember anything else will give you a shout

Have fun! Great topic!

3. Sorry, dont know why those links have not come out right Hope you can read them

4. Milkandchalk

Milkandchalk New commenter

I'll echo the bbc Website for interactive lessons. Also check out Hee Haw publishing's Wallace and Bruce books. There's a DVD with interviews with the characters and supporting material for follow up work. Channel 4 (I think) Did Chuck Wallace's Middle Aged Spread which was quite good too.

5. Thanks very much milkandchalk. Much appreciated. I'll go and check those out.

6. Thanks very much Zuko. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed doing the topic, it sounds like good fun. I'll go and check those links out.

7. The resources suggested by Milkandchalk are really useful to get hold of.
    We have found that this is a really good opportunity for a storyline approach - using ideas from Learning Unlimited's 'The Magic Castle' resource to explore life in the middle ages.
    A greater appreciation of the lives of people during the time, developed through 'The Magic Castle' really helped our pupils to understand the Wars of Independence more.
    We have also used this context to get the pupils to set up a class museum - they need to research the events/battles to determine the artefacts/displays etc that they should have in the museum.

8. piglet171

piglet171 New commenter

In your opinion, would Magic castle be suitable for P7? I'd willingly shell out £25 to make the topic more exciting and therefore my life easier!