1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Walking Pneumonia

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by SeraRose, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Hi all,

Over the weekend I started with a sharp cough and a wheeze in the right side of my chest. I went to the doctors last night and have been diagnosed with "Walking Pneumonia", apparently, its a milder form of pneumonia (although nothing feels mild about it). I have antibiotics and instructions to go back if I'm still wheezing after them.

I haven't slept for more than a couple of hours since Saturday night, as as soon as I lie down I struggle for breath, and have prolonged coughing fits.

My doctor hasn't signed me off, but I was in work yesterday and by half 3 I felt like I'd been hit by a truck. My school has a culture of people not being off sick, and although I don't feel like I can manage, I'm probably going to end up going in. But I'm concerned that I won't get better if I keep pushing myself.

Just feel like I'm caught between a rock and a hard place.

2. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

I'm fairly sure 'walking pneumonia' doesn't exist as a diagnosis! If you are not fit for work then you aren't fit for work (stuff the culture of people not being off sick). Either go back to your doctor (or preferably a different doctor) and get signed off, or self certify.

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Definition of Walking pneumonia (Collins Dictionary)

A type of pneumonia caused by mycoplasmas, with symptoms similar to but milder than those associated with bacterial or viral pneumonia

There are no medals awarded for those who go into work when they are not fit - take the time off if you need it. You do need to take care of yourself.

Have you tried placing pillows behind you when you go to bed so that you are supported in an almost sitting position?

4. Hi

Yeah, I tried 4 pillows, but when I do sleep I slip down them, then wake up coughing. I've tried sleeping in a chair too, but can't get comfortable. Tbh, the coughing hurts badly, but its the lack of sleep that's really making me miserable

5. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

Ridiculous name for a disease! You need to be off work.

6. Tigger1962

Tigger1962 New commenter

mycoplasma-type lung infections are very infectious and you can be easily reinfected as well - I think you need to get signed off work