1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Walking out of class

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by pegwell23, Nov 9, 2013.

1. I walked out of my year 8 girls class today. I'm a trainee teacher in my 2nd year (approached by SLT from support role & finishing my degree). My first year was tough but got through it. This year is destroying me. I have no consistency with classrooms and teach all round the school. My yr 8 girls have 6 different classrooms throughout their 2 week timetable. I had them last year and they were manageable but then they, and I was, based in the same classroom. Behaviour has spiralled and learning has stopped. I've lost the battle! I spoke to my hod about my concerns last term. They offered a suggestion of a seating plan for each and every classroom we are in. The students speak to me with such hate. I couldn't take it anymore today and walked out.

Ive never been observed, except by ofsted where I got a good. The department has provided very little support and no mentoring. I'm worn out by moving around the school between lessons, missing breaks and some days lunch too.

Is the battle to get the yr 8 class back on track worth the battle or am I being taken for a ride by the school?

2. I really feel for you. Such a lot of moving around makes it so difficult to get calm and consistency and they will be playing on that. You need to get more support if you are to turn this around. Did you speak to your SLT after walking out? They should not be leaving a trainee teacher in this position, you need help with behaviour management at this stage. Go in on Monday and speak to your HOD before the school day starts and discuss what happened on Friday. Ask for help with behaviour management, and a plan of action. If they are not prepared to do this, then it seems to me that they are failing you. I am sure Tom will be along soon with wise advice, but I didn't want to read your post and not reply. Good luck with this.

3. It is really not fair that the school is expecting you to do this. Please don't lose faith, you can overcome this! The school is not being fair and you need extra help. If the class was manageable last year when you were in the same classroom, you'd think it would be clear to the school that the issue is based in the movement around the different classes!!

With regards to the HOD suggestion of seating plans, why not try an online app, something like class charts? You can then show them you are working on their suggestions?

I agree though with the above comment totally, you must speak to someone in the school about what happened.

Good luck

4. primenumbers

primenumbers New commenter

I had similar problems before with different classrooms for the same group. What I did was seeing if any rooms have similar layout of table and used the same seating plan for them.

But you must have a seating plan. They hate it or not is their problem but the seating plan shows that you are in control. I set out the seating plan, the minute I don't like something I swap kids around. They moan about why I move some but not someone else. I just stare back at them and tell them it is my classroom, I do what I like, they are in MY classroom, they are expected to do what they are told. I had one or two sitting facing the wall before. Didnot hurt anyone one bit.