1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

WALF/WILT/EL'S/LO'S??? HELP!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by dancingkangaroo, Jan 30, 2011.

1. What jargon are we supposed to be using (in Scotland) these days?
    :( I am confused about how to display these in my classroom, seeing as WALT and WILF are(supposedly?) dead?

:-s

2. What jargon are we supposed to be using (in Scotland) these days?
    :( I am confused about how to display these in my classroom, seeing as WALT and WILF are(supposedly?) dead?

:-s

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Depends entirely on what's decided in the school.

4. there's not really been a decision...

5. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

I sympathise - WALT and WILF were indicative of what is wrong in education at the moment. They are a good idea for some teachers with some classes in some circumstances, therefore immediately seized upon by some consultants and HTs who DEMANDED that all classes do it for all lessons, on the grounds that (and I have heard this from the mouth of a consultant who should know better) "How can children learn anything if they don't know what they are supposed to be learning?"!
    This is a nonsense, of course, and takes away from the professionalism and skill of a teacher to plan a lesson that guides children towards discovering something (the 'LO' if you want to give it a title). Before I get shouted down, of course there are times when we need to make clear to children exactly what we want, but surely not in every lesson.
    I have used 'WWW' at the start of a lesson - 'We were wondering' is a far more interesting way to start. We obviously need to be clear about what we hope the children will learn, but we do not always have to tell that this, and anyone who is forced to do so because someone in authority thinks that someone above them will approve has my sympathy. Sorry to be so opinionated - I feel very passionate about this de-skilling and homogeonising of teachers.

6. If school haven't made a decision and put it in school policy then use what you want to use for your own class.
    Personally I think it's ALOFB

7. Absolutely agree! To the point where I have told staff, if appropriate, to write on planning for lesson obs by LA or Ofsted or HMI that they do not intend to tell children the learning objective at the beginning of the lesson because they want to lead the child towards discovery.

8. WB

WB New commenter

Don't forget to end a lesson by discussing what We All Now Know.

9. Oooh, should I being including that in the plenary of my next lesson ob, I wonder?!?!?! [​IMG]

10. How refreshing and sensible! Can I work with you, please.

11. I wish someone would question the use of WALTs/WILFs/SC in my school! I have never used any sharing of objectives until this year, preferring to either tell my class "today we're going to look at adding decimals" or, in some cases, just teaching a lesson with a sense of surprise & discovery. Then I began a jobshare and was told that my class needed consistency. That meant that I had to change my teaching style, not my jobshare partner change hers.... I now spend ridiculous amounts of time either waiting for chn to write their WALT, or filling it in myself after the lesson for the children who can't.