1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wales locks down...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nomad, Oct 19, 2020.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

... for two weeks starting this coming weekend.

2. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

And it appears that only years 7 and 8 will be returning to secondary schools after the holiday.

bombaysapphire and hhhh like this.
  3. Catgirl1964

Catgirl1964 Senior commenter

Interesting. Watch this space then.

4. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Granddughter's school has closed for two weeks - S Warks. We understand that they had various single infections spread throughout the school rather than a cluster of infections. They have asked the children to self isolate. The area is tier 1 but we have tier 2 all around. I think we will have to be super vigilant again, when we had started to be more relaxed. I don't want a lockdown.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Considering that younger children are less likely (according to media reports) to spread the virus, this is sensible. Obviously many of these children will be more of a risk than primary aged ones, but if only 7/8 go in, they can spread them out far more safely.
    Many are asking for term to finish earlier, so children can isolate for a week and safely meet their grandparents for Christmas (I appreciate that some might say we shouldn't consider only Christian beliefs, but it's not just Christians who celebrate Christmas-many people of other and no faiths like to meet then).

6. modelmaker

modelmaker Star commenter

I noticed they are calling it a firebreak lockdown rather than a circuit breaker this time. Could this be because the wiring diagram for Wales was drawn up in English and Welsh sparkies were only taught to read Welsh?

7. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I just sneaked into England this morning! I is baad, innit! I went to Ellesmere Port, not a place that is really on anyones radar. People in Asda without masks including staff. Masks discarded as litter. Ellesmere Port used to be a relatively vibrant place, if a bit rough in places, but the shopping precinct is nearly empty of shops, and other shops are gone. Even one of the big curry houses has shut. It will take some recovering, not that the London boys care, or probably have ever even heard of the place.

Grandkids are off school next week and it is granddaughter's second birthday. I am a designated person as I live on my own, so can still see them. I think it is a good idea in Wales, not that anyone with half a brain couldn't see the second wave coming everywhere. Will the price of Welsh lamb come down?

8. Catgirl1964

A local academy secondary has had a number of positive cases amongst staff so have closed for an additional week before half term with online learning in place.

9. Catgirl1964

Same with a local private school which had many student positives.

10. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I wish England would do the same. Clear. Fair. Easy to understand. The same everywhere.

smoothnewt, Jamvic, Sally006 and 3 others like this.
  11. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

My only questions would be

1 what happens after the 9th if rates haven’t come down?

2 What if they have cone down as they now should ... does life return to normal in the covid sense?

3 Finally and I find this strange. Why do gyms that provide health lifestyles abs fitness close but pubs abd takeaways that do the opposite not? At a time of a pandemic surely we need healthier people?

12. red_observer

Yes but see my post above! Unanswered questions !!

13. Doitforfree

They have said the restrictions will definitely be lifted on 9th November. Pubs are not allowed to stay open, only takeaway and delivery are allowed. Gyms have to shut because they are ideal environments for spreading Covid. People can exercise outside.

14. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

The only one that really matters is where you live. If you are Tier 1 you only need to know that and not over concern yourself with what applies in Liverpool, Scotland or Wales.

15. Doitforfree

I disagree. There are already reports of people from Liverpool travelling elsewhere to visit pubs, for example. If the rules were the same everywhere it would be more straightforward. People would perceive it as more fair, and there wouldn't be any benefit in travelling anywhere as the rules would be the same.

16. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

That's not a matter of clarity, it's a matter of non-conformance. The rules for people in Tier 1 are clear enough. Whether they take any notice is a separate matter.
    I don't think people being locked down in local areas with zero cases would see it as fair.

peter12171 and border_walker like this.
  17. red_observer

That’s is just wrong. Gyms run well are NOT spreading Covid. Fact.

jellycowfish and Sally006 like this.
  18. modelmaker

modelmaker Star commenter

It was difficult for Londoners to have avoided hearing of Ellesmere Port since it was mentioned on the news every time the Vauxhall workers went on strike.

19. Doitforfree

Anywhere indoors is potentially spreading Covid. Surely it would be naive to think that a place in which people are breathing more deeply than normal would not be a likely source of transmission? The fact is that person to person contact indoors is how the virus is most easily transmitted, and it's unnecessary contacts, particularly indoors, which are being temporarily stopped. People can exercise outside.

20. Doitforfree

You said that it only matters what the rules are where you live. My point was that it doesn't, because currently people can travel to and from areas with different restrictions. If everywhere were the same then we would all be under the same rules. There's only be one set to comply with.

I take your point about fairness. Fairness in making everyone the same might mean unfairness in making a less bad area have harsher rules than might be necessary. But this is already happening. I know of a person who lives in an area of the Wirrel where there's hardly any Covid, but he's only allowed to travel up the Wirrel, to places that are worse. It all really depends on how small an area is deemed appropriate to have different restrictions. At the moment, small pockets within big areas are restricted unnecessarily. If the whole country locked down, then larger areas of low infection would be similarly restricted. One isn't fairer than the other. It's more a matter of where you choose to draw the line. And if everyone's the same at least everyone knows where they stand.