1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wales- England?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by RamC, Jun 18, 2011.

1. I have just finished my PGCE in Wales, but have got a new job ready to start in Sep in England. The way the skills tests are (not) done, and the way evidence is (not) collected is completely different in Wales, and I am unsure what I will need for my NQT year in England. Obviously I need the English National Curriculum, and the SEN code of conduct as am working in a special school. But what else? Any suggestions welcome :)

2. I have just finished my PGCE in Wales, but have got a new job ready to start in Sep in England. The way the skills tests are (not) done, and the way evidence is (not) collected is completely different in Wales, and I am unsure what I will need for my NQT year in England. Obviously I need the English National Curriculum, and the SEN code of conduct as am working in a special school. But what else? Any suggestions welcome :)

3. I did the same. I did a PGCE at Aberystwyth and then moved to England (though I did my 1st 2 terms NQT in Wales). It was a nightmare trying to sign my NQT year off in England becasue they were so worried i hadn't done the skills tests. I had evidence from my PGCE of the key skills parts of the course, the questionnaires etc...so it wasn't a problem. I KNEW I didn't have to do them, and after looking through paperwork and being able to show the LEA that fact, it did finally get signed off!
    I wouldn't worry. The reason you don;t do the skills tests in Wale is becasue key skills is built into the course so technically you have already done them.
    Doodles

4. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

You do still need to register with the GTCE as they are operating up until next April and make sure the school does properly register you with the Appropriate Body -the LA -in order that the induction is formally recognised.

5. Thanks, I've downloaded the parts to transfer the career entry profile and my new school has assured me they are planning a thorough induction for me. I'll just make sure I keep everything filed and then it should transition across smoothly- I hope :)