1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wake Up SHake UP song suggestions

Discussion in 'Primary' started by tink2006, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Hi all, I have just discovered wake up shake up and am very excited about trying it out on my year 1s in sept. They are FULL of energy and I'm hoping this will help them to have a positive start to the day. However, I havent done it before. I have found some guides to movements and routines but no music suggestions.
    Does anyone already do Wake up... or something similar? Which songs would you recommend? HELP!

Thanks!

2. Hi all, I have just discovered wake up shake up and am very excited about trying it out on my year 1s in sept. They are FULL of energy and I'm hoping this will help them to have a positive start to the day. However, I havent done it before. I have found some guides to movements and routines but no music suggestions.
    Does anyone already do Wake up... or something similar? Which songs would you recommend? HELP!

Thanks!

3. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

I can't help you with songs i'm afraid. I plan to use the first 10 mins of every day for "Early bird" work. So as the kids come in, they put their stuff away, sit on the carpet and there will be an activity them to do. Like... Spot the difference, or listen to a piece of music and see how many instruments you can hear, or how many words can you make from a bigger word? etc. Then i can take the register while they're quiet and then we'll go through the answers and boooiing off we go for the day! Wide awake thinking children and morning done smoothly and efficiently.

p.s- I once observed a teacher doing "Wake and shake" to "Cotton eye joe" I guess the kids must have got pretty sick of it after a year lol.

4. Hehe I think i'd be sick of it too! We have tried set out activities like that whilst they were in reception but they are a very...active...little bunch so i think an outlet for this is needed first thing. At least they know thats when they can go a bit crazy and then its time to work.

Im planning on doing it to a different song every half term maybe...

5. Takeaway-Resources

Takeaway-Resources New commenter

I've helping in a school where it was a different song everyweek....
    with the slower pieces of music they did the same movements but made them bigger.

I like the idea of Shake Awake :)

6. that sounds good. what kind of music was it? Was it from the charts??

Thanks!

7. I love wake and shake!
    We've done absolutly everybody, jump, the scissors sisters one (wake up in the morning) not sure if its actually called that, pump it up

8. Fantastic!! Thank you!They are great suggestions. Did you make up the routines yourself too? I thought maybe if I had the basics in place we could then move on to the children inventing their own routine. I'm really looking forward to putting the music on first thing in the morning...it will help me as much as them!!

Thanks again

9. Our Ks1 teachers use anything from children's party CDs. Stuff like the Locomotion, the Macarena and Cha Cha Slide. Torture for the rest of us to listen to but the kids seem to love it!!

10. I use loads of different songs- its good to find an album with lots of different ones (be careful with some though with lyrics etc- most cds will say radio edit which basically means no swear words etc)
    Some examples lada gaga- dance, girls aloud- jump, fratellies- chelsea dagger, spice girls- spice up your life, daft punk- one more time, abba songs work really well too!!

11. i use music and songs from high school musical.
    very bouncy and it has boys songs in it as well as girls songs.
    my class love it
    also 80's disco and abba is fun!
    you go girlfriend![​IMG]

12. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

I've used the Sticky Kids CDs with Reception and Year 1. They're great, because the children pick up the words easily and they've all got actions to go with them.. I tend to do the opening track (very short), and then one other. I stick with a song for a week so the children get to know it well, and then have a new song the next week so that we don't get bored.
    Once the children know the songs well, I put one of the CD's on while we change for P.E. - it keeps the quick ones busy, so that I can gee up the slow coaches.

I use Write Dance as well, but that's more for motor skills than exercise/ waking up.

13. Can anyone explain how 'Wake and Shake' works please? It has been suggested that we start using this but no training/guidance given.

14. This is great advice! Thanks Cariad2.
    I'm glad lots of you have seen the success of it. I'm known for being the one that will try out anything in school so fingers crossed this works! Year R and 1 share a playground so am trying to get Year R invilved in it to. Who knows what could be happening by the end of the year!! x

15. Sorry to be a pest - Cariad 2 is there a particular sticky kids cd you would recommend over the others. There about 8 on amazon!!
    Thanks

16. We use Sticky Kids too! We have the red and yellow CDs if thats a help. My class really loved Music, Music, Music from the red CD and Funky Monkey from the yellow one.

Em xx

17. Hi, I downloaded "the evolution of dance" for my wake up and shake up on my placement (I am a student teacher in my final year). You can view the video on youtube ...the children LOVED it..... so did the headteacher....infact they still use it now!!

18. My daughter does wake up shake up at her school - she is year 1. They do YMCA, Cha Cha slide High school musical and I would say after the summer holidays full of the disney channel - anything my Hannah Montana (arghh!) - she is trying to convince her teacher to learn the hodown fro down : )
    Not done it myself (starting GTP this sept) but I know my daughter and her friends love it and the hall is always full - they do it for rec-yr 2 for 20mins before school starts.

19. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

Hi Tink2006,

The Sticky Kids CDs that I use most are:
    • warm up with the sticky kids
    • bend and stretch with the sticky kids
    • work out with the sticky kids
    They're the top 3 when you look on Amazon.
    I've also got a few of the putamayo kids CDs. They're good for introducing children to different styles of music, and music from different cultures. We often have those on to listen to at snack time, and the children sometimes like to dance around afterwards - but that's a bit more informal than the whole class Wake and Shake.

I only do Wake and Shake for about 10 minutes, but if anybody does it for longer, then the dances on Boogie Beebies are great for younger children. There are some on the CBeebies website (you can play them to the class if you have an IWB) and the DVDs are reasonably cheap on Amazon.

20. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

As a matter of interest, is there any real evidence (apart from the anecdotal "my class loves it" type) to suggest that Wake and Sake has any benefits in terms of learning?
    Or is it in fact in the same category as "brain gym"?