1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wake up and smell the .. (another garden thread)

Discussion in 'Personal' started by grumbleweed, May 28, 2020.

1. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Star commenter

Some years ago we dug up this rather manky looking peony that was growing amongst brambles in our garden. It flowers most years, but , I think with extra time at home, I've finally realised that it smells gorgeous. I never knew!

I'm not a huge fan of highly fragrant flowers, lilies have to be at the bottom of the garden, but this is gentle scent.

Have you learned anything about plants in your garden?
    IMG_20200528_171721.jpg-1.jpeg

2. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

That is gorgeous! Yes, a shrub with huge white blooms in the front garden turns out to be a tree peony. Lovely!

needabreak likes this.
  3. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Not really learned anything as such, but the scabby 9cm pot of wallflowers I bought from B&Q's sale shelf a couple of years ago smell like my childhood and I love them. Luckily they're self seeding perennials and the clump gets bigger every year. They're about four feet tall this year and a bit scruffy, but I don't care.

Dragonlady30, vannie and theeditor like this.
  4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Wow, I love paeonies, but the blooms are so short-lived.
    To have a fragrant one is quite rare I believe, so well done grumbleweed. :)

needabreak and coffeekid like this.
  5. grumbleweed

Coffeekid, I love them too. My orange erysimum has flowered through the past two winters giving some lovely colour I can see from my kitchen window.
    It's getting a bit woody now so might be time for a new one. They can often be found in the 50p bargain bin in the autumn.

coffeekid and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  6. theeditor

theeditor Occasional commenter

I have jasmine under my bedroom window which has smelt extra strongly this year.
    Three white and one purple foxgloves have appeared from nowhere in my front garden this year. They've become a shrine for bees :)
    Wallflowers certainly do smell of childhood coffeekid. Will ask my gardener Mr t to keep an eye out for them.

vannie and coffeekid like this.
  7. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

My mock orange smells incredibly powerful this year. I've never noticed it's scent before, unless I got right up to it. And we have an enormous dark red antirrhinum growing in a crack in the patio where there is literally no soil as it has a plastic layer under the flags. It's absolutely stunning.

I didn't know peonies could they have a scent. I'm going out to smell mine now!

vannie and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  8. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

While the roofers have been in we've had coffee and lunch at the top of the garden and have enjoyed the scent of the philadelphus wafting across the garden.

9. Lara mfl 05

Our Philadelphus had the first open blossoms day before yesterday and I'm enjoying the scent as I walk past.

vannie likes this.
  10. grumbleweed

My philadelphus isn't out yet, it's a bit late this year. It's by the front door so I get this waft every time I answer the door.

11. vannie

vannie Star commenter

Lockdown has made me sort out my tiny back yard. I haven’t really done anything out there for about 4 years (I know but it’s a really small, shady space with no open ground) ... anyway, the honeysuckle I planted in 2012 has gone nuts. Covered in blossom and smells gorgeous. That’s been a surprise.

jellycowfish and needabreak like this.
  12. vannie

vannie Star commenter

My jasmine is nowhere near out.

13. Lara mfl 05

Mine neither. No sign of any buds even.

vannie likes this.
  14. theeditor

theeditor Occasional commenter

Mine's nearly over! I'll take a photo tomorrow and post it here - maybe it's not jasmine. The wall is south facing and a sun trap.
    Peonies are one of my favourite flowers. I have 5 large plants in a bed near the jasmine - plenty of buds but will be about 10 days before the huge flower heads are fully open.

15. vannie

vannie Star commenter

I’m unreasonably biased against peonies. I used to really love them but they’re so needy! Won’t stand up on their own and short period of interest. As I said, unreasonable. My jasmine was a cutting from my aunt and to be fair I’m not even sure if it’s summer or winter flowering!

16. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Given enough water they can be quite upstanding, it would appear here...

17. vannie

vannie Star commenter

True enough

18. grumbleweed

Since I moved my peony, it's needed no care from me. I don't water, stake, or even prune it. If I feel like it, I deadhead the flowers. Shortlived, yes, but needy, no, coukd be in the wrong place or sick,

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  19. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

It took me a while to learn that fruit only grows on wood that's at least a year old, and that fruit trees and bushes need pruning correctly. I've also learned that apple trees, even when pruned the way the lady on the pruning course told me, don't blossom every year. I've also learned (from my mistakes) that stone fruit trees need pruning at a different time to soft fruit trees. Oops.

I'm more into giving stuff a chance to grow to see what they turn out like, rather than picking out seedlings that weren't part of some prescribed master plan. If they look OK and add a bit of variety I don't care if others call them weeds. The tall daisies have gone mad this year and the bees, bugs and beetles are loving them.

My sense of smell is cr ap at the best of times, so I tend to go more for look than pong.

jellycowfish likes this.
  20. May2

May2 Established commenter

My honeysuckle is smelling sweet in the evening. I bought a new peony a couple of years ago after seeing one in a friend's garden. It is a lovely pink with a yellow centre. I can't remember it's name but it has just come out. I will have to see if it has a scent. Edit I think it is called Bowl of Beauty