1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

wake and shake

Discussion in 'Primary' started by daffodilval, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Does it actually work?

2. Does it actually work?

3. Don't know if this is too late but have a look at www.Cyber-smart.co.uk , they stream wake and shake to whiteboards.

There's a 2 week free trial.

4. Dresifer

Dresifer New commenter

I don't think it needs scientific backing (more common sense!) to know that if 6 year olds who have to sit down for longer than 15 minutes on the carpet find it really hard to concentrate. I do wake and shake as a rule after registration and my kids adore it! They made up all the moves themselves and gave them jazzy names, it takes no more than 5 minutes and without fail, all the children (even the shy/naughty ones) get really into it. It has also really benefited the child in my class with dyspraxia. It helps them concentrate and it helps teacher and kids form a close bond based on having fun. I can empathise however with teachers who may feel uncomfortable doing it, but I think that people who have opted to work with children should be comfortable with maybe making themselves look a bit silly if it helps the children concentrate!

5. Dresifer

Dresifer New commenter

I don't think it needs scientific backing (more common sense!) to know that if 6 year olds who have to sit down for longer than 15 minutes on the carpet find it really hard to concentrate. I do wake and shake as a rule after registration and my kids adore it! They made up all the moves themselves and gave them jazzy names, it takes no more than 5 minutes and without fail, all the children (even the shy/naughty ones) get really into it. It has also really benefited the child in my class with dyspraxia. It helps them concentrate and it helps teacher and kids form a close bond based on having fun. I can empathise however with teachers who may feel uncomfortable doing it, but I think that people who have opted to work with children should be comfortable with maybe making themselves look a bit silly if it helps the children concentrate!

6. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

I feel like a right idiot doing it, but it definitely works for me as an adult! I'm always sleepy in the mornings and feel better once i've done a wake and shake! Not sure about whether it works for kids though!

7. manic28

manic28 New commenter

I'm going to cash in on this and bring in a new scientifically proven gimmicky programme also. These are strictly copyright, so just be aware guys!
    Which of the following could you fit in?
    Wake and Bake
    Get into school and do ten minutes of fairy cake and cupcake baking.
    Wake and Take
    Children use their contacts in the criminal underworld to arrange local muggings.
    Wake and Cake
    Is the sequel to Wake and Bake, only involves eating them.
    Wake and Steak
    Children have to name different cuts of meat.
    Wake and Ache
    this is the hangover programme. Didn't go down well in the trial run...sadly.
    Wake and Rake
    10 minutes gardening and weeding.
    Wake and Snake
    Find the right vaccine and your classmate will survive!
    Wake and Quake
    Ten minutes preapration for earthquakes.

Any feedback on my business ideas will be greatfully ignored. Please email me on:
    cantbebothereddoingmyownmarketresearch@neverworkedinaclassroombutthinkiknowitall.com
    Thanks ;)

8. In my humble opinion, Wake and Fake sums it all up.