1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Waitrose I'm a convert!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by eggnchips, Feb 4, 2011.

1. I'm a fan of Waitrose, too, though I have plenty of alternatives.
    Staff at Tesco are mostly quite nice, but the service just isn't the same. Maybe it's because at Tesco they seem to do it because that's their job, and at Waitrose they actually seem to want to help? (They are partners, not employees, after all! [​IMG] )
    And apparently Waitrose will lend you a fish kettle if you want one - not that I've ever had need of one myself.

2. My first Saturday job was in a Waitrose. We were trained in customer service - taking customers to the shelves they are looking for rather than waving vaguely, politeness, correct uniform, were all part of the training.
    We were even shown a video on how to correctly pack a bag or box - bet they don't do that at Tesco!

3. inky

inky Lead commenter

Whilst acknowledging that there are some pretty grim 'supermarkets' in Paris, I'd just like to say that your bog standard French supermarket takes for granted what Waitrose makes a song and dance about.
    I'm not a fan.

4. I've really got to laugh at some of these comments, as to why waitrose is a "better" supermarket.
    If you've got to seek personal affirmation from having a supermarket assistant lead you like a child to the shelf you need and hand you a packet, so you don't get your hands soiled, addressing you in a deferential fashion all the while, then that really is a bit lame.
    They're selling you a dream that you are middle class and have people to serve you. You pay a bit more but come away feeling very "daily mail" smug.
    It's a bloody shop and the woman who packed your crudites and organic felafel probably drives a better car than you.

5. I am not 150 years old but I do dither in an annoying fashion. I hate the weekly shop but I have decided in the absense of other metaphorical carrots such as holidays/wine I am throwing caution to the wind and going for the place with parking/decent food/OK staff.

6. oops horrible spelling mistake too many middle class goodies in my brain.

7. ljr

ljr New commenter

I love to use their trolley scanners - the shopping goes straight into your bags in the trolley just once - you hand the scanner in at the dedicated checkout, you pay and take your bags -already sorted - out to the car. It is the only supermarket that I can get my shopping in a lunch hour.

8. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Nothing to do with personal affirmation. More to do with finding what you want in 2 minutes rather than following directions along the lines of a vague "over there" for 20.

9. My actual favourite supermarket is online. I favour Sainsburys, but any of the others are probably ok, including the estimable Waitrose! The joy of NOT having to spend two hours on a Saturday toiling round with a trolley, dodging the 150 year old Waitrose regulars, or children from school. Marvellous!

10. trelassick

trelassick New commenter

I quite agree. We use Waitrose and what's more, the shopping is delivered efficiently and by cheerful, considerate drivers.

11. fab208

fab208 New commenter

Waitrose has recently moved further north and now we have a local branch - I love it. It isn't full of yummy mummys or elderly people (though what is wrong with that anyway?) and it is very clean, quiet and full of lovely goodies. It's not massively expensive for basics and the Essentials range is excellent.
    It isn't about being waited on hand and foot, but it is nice to be served by polite people who seem genuinely interested in making your day more enjoyable (as do many other assistants at other supermarkets, especially checkout staff). I also like being 'helped' by people who know the products they're selling. Last time I asked an assistant in Tescos where the cloves were she took me to the fashion department and said, "There's the cloves, mate"
    Lovely.

12. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

The Safeway (Scottish chain that were sadly taken over by the woeful Morrisons) near my student flat had those trolley scanners. The toruble was, that they checked a random sample of trollies, to make sure you weren't pinching things, I suppose and we always seemed to be in that sample. When you hung up your scanner and paid, the machine would say you had to go to a nearby lane, unpack everything and put it on the conveypr as normal. Blimmin' nuisnace if you'd already scanned and packed the goods on your way round the shop!

13. ljr

ljr New commenter

Sorry to rub it in for those who can' get to Waitrose but in my local store, if they do need to check, they take you to an empty checkout, assign you 3 assistants - 1 to unpack, 1 to rescan & 1 to repack, and you are still out of the store quicker than everyone queuing at the checkouts.
    I am using Ocado delivery at present as I have an Achilles tendon injury & can't get out, but I am really impressed with the service & I still get Waitrose food. I can pay £6.99 a month & then have as many deliveries as I like (as long as I spend £40 on each shop), and they will come in 1hr time slots.

14. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Yes, I agree that this is the case. In over ten years of using the QucikPay service I'd estimate I've had a re-scan no more than twice a year on average - very seldom.
    Have you ever played the game of locating the least essential of the Waitrose "Essentials" range? For me it was the Essential Chocolate Mousse or the Essential Tzatziki (sp?) until Mr Smoothnewt recently spotted some Essential Balsamic Vinegar. [​IMG]

15. Only bog standard balsamic?
    Not even raspberry flavoured?
    Goodness, how plebian. [​IMG]

16. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

It is isn't it? Essential? [​IMG]

17. To paraprase Maureen Lipman in Educating Rita:
    Wouldn't you just die without focaccia?

18. Crikey, I thought this said " Waitrose I'm a convent" for a minute.
    Well they do call nice cheese " Cathedral City".
    Sin today and repent tomorrow... better than "every little helps".. but that's just Tesco.

19. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Pomgranate favoured chez Belle I'll have you know! [​IMG]

20. Ooh-er! You might want to revise your opinion of Waitrose if you check out Sky news with VT of ducks being abused and maltreated at a Waitrose supplying farm. Not nice at all. On today's news. So much for a classy establishment, never mind the poor animals. Maybe I am moving away from that "friendly farming" and organic movement again in the sharp realisation that labels don't tell the whole story.