1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Waitrose I'm a convert!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by eggnchips, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Our big chains do not even deliver. Not groceries, anyway.
    Online shopping is still a mystery to me!

2. I have to admit that I live in an affluent area. We used to have a Morrisons and a Summerfield which has morphed into Waitrose. Summerfield shopping used to be a lonely experience; empty aisles with little choice but loads of choice when it came to spaces in the carpark. Now it is as if our town was just biding its time. Waitrose is always busy, the carpark always full. It is actually a pleasure to shop there, not just the choice but the staff are always helpful and pleasant and maybe even more important the customers and their children conduct themselves correctly.
    No I don't have shares in John Lewis or work there.

3. I popped into Sainsbury's in the town where I work yesterday. I encountered a teenager screeching at her mother because her mother asked her politely if she would pass her something from a shelf next to her. Said teenager was on her mobile at time and took great offence at being asked.
    Mother looked mortified and muttered "don't you dare talk to me like that" quietly, obviously knowing that any further requests / telling offs would result in a very loud and obnoxious rant from her daughter.
    Anyway, I love Waitrose nearly as much as I love Booths (north Western - mainly Lancashire and south Cumbria - version of Waitrose). It's also our closest supermarket, but Mr D thinks it is too expensive and won't let me shop there.[​IMG]

4. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

If you go in with a shopping list then it can be expensive. If you are happy to buy whatever is on offer, then I think it is comparable to other supermarkets. And so civilised! I like using the scanner device and jumping the queues at the checkout!

5. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

Buxton became a million times better when it got a Waitrose. The aisles are wide and the customers are generally slim, that works for well for all. I do find it expensive, though that is because they stock good stuff and I am a sucker for quality.

6. I have divorced my Mr D I shop where I like. However I have to admit that given Mr D's son's enthusiasm for shopping at Waitrose it probabky would not be an issue. They are both genetically disposed to shopping at the higher end.

7. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Waitrose is wonderful and <u>so</u> civilised. I am a fan. They have an excellent Branch Finder on their website. I think you will find there is a Waitrose in Glasgow. Anyway, you could always have a day out and drive down to the Hexham branch....

8. henriette

henriette New commenter

My Sainsburys does this and it is such a good way to shop - I can get the big weekly shop done in less than 45 minutes as I don't have to queue, unload and relaod my shopping!

9. I am a bit confused.
    Are you saying that certain "classes" shop at certain supermarkets?

10. I quite like waitrose because it stocks local produce. I don't think the prices are that bad - so long as you can resist putting the indulgent stuff into your trolley. I like the way a lot of their chicken and egg products are free range.
    I don't think the staff are any more friendly than tesco.

11. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

I love Waitrose. Their sandwich Chutneys are fantastic. I used to go for a few treats now and again, when I lived in Dorset. We have just got a little one in Leeds. I am well chuffed! [​IMG]

12. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Only rich people shop at Waitrose. Farmfoods has 4 litres of milk for &pound;1.60 - beat that.

13. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

Absolutely, CQ! Waitrose is for city dwelling yummy mummies with 4x4s and children named Tarquin or Amelia. I'm only half joking. Waitrose only recently ventured north of the border, and from here it's an hour and a half to our nearest one. It's no coincidence that the Waitrose I speak of is positioned in the very middle class area of the city.

14. lurk_much

It wouldn't be wise to put one somewhere you would prefer not to park your car.

CQ the list goes something like this

waitrose - posh
    marks and sparks
    sainsburys + aldi
    tesco
    asda + morrisons
    lidl
    netto - common

15. I am truly shocked.

16. lurk_much

excellent.
    Londoners like to add a couple of knightsbridge stores (fortnums, harrods) in at the top but they aren't really mass market, it is mainly affectation.
    We should ask ritchie, she normally likes a snob-up.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Why have you got Aldi so high up?

18. lurk_much

Because I keep bumping into lecturers, business people, retired golfers and the like in there. I was surprised by it too.

19. lurk_much

There might be something a bit continental about the product range? I don't really know how it works, I expect there are regional variations too.

20. inky

inky Lead commenter

I can't say much for their calves' liver. It's pre-sliced, full of tubes and overpriced.