1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Waiting is horrible

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by tigger82, Feb 3, 2016.

1. tigger82

tigger82 New commenter

Hello

I just needed somewhere to come and express my inability to wait!

I have submitted an application and the closing date was yesterday. The interview is next Monday and I have been obsessively checking my email every 5 minutes all day.

What do others do to pass the time? At what point do you give up hope?

*sigh*

badger_girl likes this.
  2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

After the Saturday postman has gone past your house . . . although it is more likely to be e-mail, given the tight timing.

So 3.35 on Friday afternoon . . .

Have you been reading the interview advice articles? Got your Mindmaps all set up? Checked your outfit - do you need to buy new tights/tie on Saturday?

Best wishes

3. tigger82

tigger82 New commenter

Thank you! Just checked and I do need new tights. What would we do without you Theo?

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

5. smilesgomiles

smilesgomiles New commenter

Sympathies! I'm also playing the waiting game...It's been 8 days now for one job and 3 for another....No interview dates, so don't know how long it will be. I did have a confirmation of receipt of application email from both saying I would hear in due course......

6. smilesgomiles

You could try darning some old ones; that would keep you busy!

7. tigger82

tigger82 New commenter

Hello Smiles,

I am going to bake tonight instead!

I didn't get a confirmation email so I called and checked. They had received it but no further communication. Will just need to sit tight I guess.

Best of luck!

8. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

I hate that, and when your phone beeps and you think it's The Email but actually it is just junk!

9. smilesgomiles

Good luck to both of you, I hope you hear today. Baking is always a good idea (just make sure you can still fit into that interview suit!)

I've been doing this a lot!

I now have 3 I'm waiting on. Friday is the worst day as you know that if the email doesn't come you've got to wait until at least Monday. 9 days seems quite long; I think it is time to give up on that one.

10. missRV

missRV Occasional commenter

I had an interview yesterday, they said they'd let me know either last night, today or even Monday!

11. smilesgomiles

Well done for getting an interview. I hope that it went well and that you too hear today.

12. missRV

missRV Occasional commenter

Thank you :)

13. tigger82

tigger82 New commenter

Well I still haven't heard anything so I can assume I have been unsuccessful.

I am left feeling quite frustrated though. I applied before the deadline but my application wasn't even acknowledged. I called the school after the closing date to check it had been received because it was the day there were internet problems with BT across the country and was told that it had. I have had no communication at all.

I am also a prospective parent (indy school) with two children and had been looking at the school v
    before they advertised. I am now left wondering if I want my children to attend a school where communication is so poor.

dljames2013 likes this.
  14. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Disappointing for you, I quite understand that. And the lack of communication is frustrating.

That is the norm nowadays. It is quite unusual for a school to respond, as the poster above says happened twice. Lucky you!

That is not normal - they would not have expected every candidate to do that. But the BT problem could have explained it on this occasion.

That is the norm.

This is the norm in applications procedures.

Schools do not normally acknowledge receipt of applications, nor tell candidates that they have not been shortlisted. Only successful candidates receive any e-mail or letters, inviting them to interview.

You shouldn't assume that this level of communication with job applicants (which is the norm) to be the level of communication with parents. Select the school based on the needs of your children.

Why don't schools write back when you apply, or ring after an interview?

I'm sorry that you have had this disappointing wait, and hope that you have a happy weekend with the family nonetheless.

Best wishes

15. smilesgomiles

Sorry about your disappointment tigger, I hope that something else comes along soon.

I have been asked to come for an informal chat prior to shortlisting, a guess this is a positive step forward....

missRV and wanet like this.
  16. NQT08

NQT08 Occasional commenter

I'm now in the same situation - having to wait ages to hear back as I applied early.
    And to make it worse, I've now got a week off to think about it (and not much else)
    Should I start mindmapping now or wait until I (hopefully) hear I have an interview?