1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Waiting for the courses to be approved......

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by ThereAreBunniesInMyHead, Jun 13, 2017.

1. xg!

xg! New commenter

OCR GCSE Media ACCREDITED!

2. Hellsbells86

Hellsbells86 New commenter

I went to the AQA CPD on the new GCSE last week. They chief examiner there said it should be passed very soon as its wording that OfQUal are looking at now rather that the content. However, there is no way that the new course can be completed in one year, there is way too much content. I feel a lot better having attended the CPD and for anyone looking to do the new AQA course next year, I'd say that attending it is an absolute necessity.

3. frosty1675

frosty1675 New commenter

I signed up for the online AQA cpd option but they postponed it, it's now in October - 5 weeks after I start teaching the course.
    I watched the online training for the new GCSE and did find that helpful but I wish I felt more confident about teaching the A level, I feel like I'm very much in the dark.

4. CandysDog

CandysDog Established commenter

AQA GCSE Media Studies has now been accredited.

That's all the GCSEs, but only one A Level and two AS.

5. gsglover

gsglover Occasional commenter

About time!

6. gsglover

gsglover Occasional commenter

I assume this is all down to Ofqual rather than tardy exam boards?

7. CandysDog

Depends how you look at it. Ofqual has been feeding back at the normal rate, but there's been a lot of changes required. Some specifications have been submitted six times.

8. CandysDog

AQA AS Media Studies has now been accredited.

Only AQA A Level Media Studies and OCR A Level Media Studies to go...

9. Lyns

Lyns New commenter

The resources for Eduqas through the free training and online are really helpful - we've gone with them and been able to plan up quite far ahead.

10. AliceChalder

AliceChalder New commenter

Me too! Have you read the accredited spec and exam paper/mark scheme to see how they've changed it? So confusing and unclear!

11. frosty1675

frosty1675 New commenter

Aqa assure me it will be accredited by mid September.... and have suggested that we run with the draft spec and resources! So helpful.

12. Kymbobalob

Kymbobalob New commenter

I spoke to AQA at the start of last week and they said it's looking like the first week of October at the earliest before A level is approved.

My School are fed up of waiting so we've switched to WJEC. The spec is clearer and there's a CPD course this week. (AQA's rearranged course isn't until mid October!)

13. ThereAreBunniesInMyHead

ThereAreBunniesInMyHead Occasional commenter

It is utterly ridiculous that at this stage of the year there are still specs that are not accredited. A friend of mine in another school was holding out for AQA and her school said for her just to start teaching what was in the draft specs but there's so much uncertainty there. I wouldn't risk it. With Eduqas (WJEC) the set texts for some of the topics changed between the last draft spec and the final accredited one, so in that scenario people could have been teaching the wrong products if they were relying on the draft specs for guidance.

14. voicelikemans

voicelikemans New commenter

All of the Media Studies specs from all of the boards have been accredited. The last one, the AQA A level, was accredited about 10 days ago. They're all available on their websites, and in the final changes the specs themselves didn't really change, the changes were mainly to the wording of the sample exam papers and so on.