1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Waiting for the courses to be approved......

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by ThereAreBunniesInMyHead, Jun 13, 2017.

1. ThereAreBunniesInMyHead

ThereAreBunniesInMyHead Occasional commenter

So as you all know, it is mid-June, and we are STILL waiting for the AQA and OCR courses for Media GCSE and A-level to be approved. I am a bit worried now that they either a) won't get approved until the Summer holidays meaning I will then have to work through my holiday to try and re-write all the SOW, lesson plans and resources or b) won't get approved at all at this rate!

Does anyone know how late they are allowed to leave it without approving a course to start in September? What will happen if they can't approve the course on time? Will they allow the old spec to run for another year? Or will there just not be a Media GCSE on offer and I will have to try and re-assign all my students elsewhere on the timetable?

2. msturner78

msturner78 New commenter

following this thread - am in the same boat. spoke to AQA yesterday and they threw the date 19th June..?

3. nick2002

nick2002 New commenter

Last night OCR posted a rather cryptic 'good news about Media Studies to pass onto tomorrow' on their Film & Media twitter feed, so I'm optimistic that they've finally been accredited.

4. CandysDog

CandysDog Established commenter

I don't know of any date. I've never known a specification (for any subject) be accredited later than July.

I don't know. I guess it will just get accredited after teaching begins.

Unlikely, as the old specifications have an expiry date and accredited specifications do exist.

The WJEC Eduqas specifications are accredited.

5. CandysDog

AQA is due to submit another version of its GCSE (the fifth!) on 16th. Maybe it is expected to be accredited by 19th?

6. CandysDog

OCR's AS Media Studies was accredited today. Further submissions of OCR's A Level and GCSE are still being awaited, so they won't follow particularly quickly.

7. Hellsbells86

Hellsbells86 New commenter

I spoke to AQA last week and they couldn't give me a date, however my SLT think that it should be (AQA Media) approved quite soon because the election is over.

I have to say that the new AQA specification is quite confusing - there are a number of booklets that accompany it and planning for it is a bit of a nightmare! Trying to get all of the specified media sectors studied (some require small, other require large scale research) as well as getting students to create an individual product in response to a currently non existent brief is looking like quite a big task! Honestly don't know where to start!

Tanya_Davison likes this.
  8. CandysDog

The purdah rules do not impact on Ofqual at all (it is answerable to Parliament, not the Government), so the passing of the election makes no difference. Ofqual accredited many subjects in the run-up to the election.

9. mystro

mystro New commenter

AQA have posted teacher CPD courses now I think.

Regardless, i am seriously considering the option of a level 2 certificate in media as the new GCSE specs are so far removed from the old specs and seem considerably more difficult. SLT at my school have also encouraged me to investigate this as some 'non' gcse options can still count towards progress 8.

Does anyone have any experience with the Cambridge certificate in creative imedia?

10. aussieguy1977

aussieguy1977 New commenter

We teach Media AQA GCSE in one year. AQA have said the next academic year will be the last of the old spec. They recently updated to say the new topic of TV drama for the exam so the old one does seem to be available. A relief!

11. ThereAreBunniesInMyHead

That's good for you if you teach it in one year, but the announcement of the TV drama topic isn't new. It has been on the AQA website for about 3 years now so teachers would know in advance what the topics were. So the old spec is only available for classes that are already half way through the course (like my current Year 10's going in to Year 11) or classes that will do it in one year like yours (unusual I think).

For all teachers expecting new classes of Year 10's in September to do it as a traditional two year course, we are still waiting with no planning we can really get on with.

12. CandysDog

Not happening, I'm afraid. Ofqual is now awaiting AQA's sixth attempt (and OCR's fifth).

13. ThereAreBunniesInMyHead

Not sure if this will help / hinder anyone, but I phoned the exam boards today (I'm desperate) to see if there were any updates on accreditation for GCSE and A-level.

AQA - said they have sent off their latest submissions about a week ago (not reflected in Ofqual's most recent update) and are waiting to hear back from Ofqual. They said they have no idea when the specs will be accredited at all.

OCR - said they too have sent off their most recent submissions to Ofqual (also not reflected in Ofqual's most recent update) and that they hope the GCSE will be accredited sometime next week but that the A-level one could be 'late july' and they acknowledged that they knew that could be a big problem for most centres.

I think to be honest I am just going to cut my losses and switch to Eduqas for both GCSE and A-level so I can at least get on with some planning. I won't be able to do anything over Summer as I have kids who are young enough to mean I can't get any work done.

14. xg!

xg! New commenter

I think Eduqas is the way to go. I like their course, I like the set media products, also there's already a big community of us planning and sharing resources and setting up local 'teach meets'. If you're on Facebook I'd recommend you join the Eduqas media teachers group.

There's also a Google drive folders where everyone’s sharing a range of resources.

GCSE

A LEVEL

Hope this helps.

15. ThereAreBunniesInMyHead

This is VERY helpful! Thanks!

16. nick2002

nick2002 New commenter

Seconded - VERY helpful indeed!!! Thank you.

We've decided to go with Eduqas this week, having originally chosen OCR. I think the final straw was the realisation that OCR won't be releasing their NEA briefs until June, compared to March for Eduqas.

17. Theta Sigma

Theta Sigma New commenter

OCR, as per another short thread, have pulled out of offering GCSE Film Studies because take-up looks set to be very low. Is Ofqual/the government on a sure legal footing here, because this endless delay appears to me to be distorting the market. Why are AQA, in particular, not making a story out of this highly political manipulation of the subject that tells young people how they are controlled? Oh, I just answered that one. Last to be accredited, eh, who'd have thought it?

18. CandysDog

Not in this case, as OCR GCSE Film Studies was accredited in January – before any other Media and Film Studies courses.

I think OCR's decision had more to do with them starting from trying to compete in a qualification where WJEC has an established monopoly.

19. CandysDog

Why AQA, in particular? They are a relatively small player in this subject compared to WJEC Eduqas and OCR.

20. Theta Sigma

Theta Sigma New commenter

They are putting up no fight, which may be telling, I grant you.