1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

waiting for contract before resigning?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by tesforum2000, Mar 5, 2016.

1. tesforum2000

tesforum2000 New commenter

I have sent he letter of acceptance. I am going to speak to my Head but I am not sure I can put resignation letter as I am waiting for the contract? Do I need to wait for the contract? Thank you

2. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

You don't need the contract - the written (?) or verbal acceptance of an offer is legally binding on both sides, unless the offer letter stated something along the lines of 'pending receipt of references and/or enhanced DBS'. Your new employer has up to two months into the new job to give you a contract.

wanet likes this.
  3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Your e-mail or letter of offer is a written confirmation with contractual force. Of course, the verbal offer also has contractual force, but is not provable. Have you replied properly to the written offer?

Letter: accepting a teaching job

Your contract - or written terms of employment - doesn't need to come until two months after you begin your employment.

When should you get your contract?

So you can hardly wait for that before resigning!

I am assuming that this job is not for the summer term, because unless you are in Scotland, you have almost certainly missed the resignation deadline in your current school.

When can I resign?

And here are a few more to help you on your way:

Can I take my materials to a new school?

Get yourself organised

Best wishes for the new job .