1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Waiting for a response to interview...

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by missdarling, May 30, 2012.

1. missdarling

missdarling New commenter

Hi all,

I had an interview yesterday morning which I think went fairly well. The head warned me that she might not get back to me until today, and indeed, as yet she hasn't. I had assumed that as she used the word 'might', then there was a chance she would get in touch yesterday evening, and if not then certainly this morning. I'm so frustrated! The longer it goes on, the less confident I feel... What can they possibly be waiting for?

To make matters worse, I have another interview tomorrow morning, and I can't concentrate on preparing for it because I'm waiting for this phone call. Obviously, if yesterday's school offers me the job then I don't need to go to tomorrow's interview, so I'd rather not stress myself out preparing for it if I won't be attending.

What do you all think is going on? How long have you had to wait to hear back from a school? My non-teaching friends think I'm mental to be freaking out at this point, but they don't understand that schools usually let people know the same day!

Any advice appreciated....
    Missdarling

2. missdarling

Hi all,

I had an interview yesterday morning which I think went fairly well. The head warned me that she might not get back to me until today, and indeed, as yet she hasn't. I had assumed that as she used the word 'might', then there was a chance she would get in touch yesterday evening, and if not then certainly this morning. I'm so frustrated! The longer it goes on, the less confident I feel... What can they possibly be waiting for?

To make matters worse, I have another interview tomorrow morning, and I can't concentrate on preparing for it because I'm waiting for this phone call. Obviously, if yesterday's school offers me the job then I don't need to go to tomorrow's interview, so I'd rather not stress myself out preparing for it if I won't be attending.

What do you all think is going on? How long have you had to wait to hear back from a school? My non-teaching friends think I'm mental to be freaking out at this point, but they don't understand that schools usually let people know the same day!

Any advice appreciated....
    Missdarling

3. missdarling

Sorry about lack of paragraphs... Is this because of google chrome? Still waiting....

4. I had a similar experience after attending an interview on Monday 28th May. The Head couldn't specify an exact timescale but suggested that I would hear back on Monday evening or Tuesday.I had to email the school to find out the result today (Wednesday).
    The reply I got was:
    ''Thank you for committing to the selection process on Monday. As you will realise it has taken much deliberation before finally arriving at a firm conclusion. Regrettably, on this occasion, you have not been successful. Commiserations.''
    I know it is not easy for Headteachers to give candidates bad news over the telephone but if they are not going to bother contacting us then they should make this clear at the interview.
    Candidates invest a great deal of physical and emotional energy going through the interview process and the least the school can do is treat us with a bit of respect.

5. missdarling

I agree entirely. Do you think if you hadn't emailed them they wouldn't have got back to you at all? It's nearly 5 o clock now, and I can't imagine they would phone me after 6, so it must be that I haven't got it, which is fine, I just can't handle anyone being so incredibly unprofessional and rude!

6. No I don't think they would have got back to me if I hadn't had contacted them. I have found the whole experience totally demoralising and, as you mention, totally unprofessional.
    I know it probably sounds like 'sour grapes', but If that is how they treat potential employees I actually feel lucky to have missed out on the job.
    Good luck tomorrow. If its meant to be.... it won't pass you by! :)

7. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

I don't want to get hopes up unnecessarily, but my current job didn't call me until 5:55pm the following day (apparently because they took so long to decide between me and an internal candidate). I'd given up hope by then, having already heard from two other schools I was waiting on.
    But I do agree that schools should telephone all candidates, whether successful or not. It doesn't take long, doesn't cost much and, I think, makes the candidate feel valued. Not contacting (or sending a letter later, which is just as bad) comes across as unprofessional and uncaring. If someone's taken the time to go in for interview, prepare a lesson, take a day off work and travel there, the least the school can do is telephone once a decision has been made.

8. missdarling

Thanks, that does help... For the next 20 minutes at least!

9. missdarling

They finally got back to me at 7.30! In the negative, but with useful feedback, and she was extremely apologetic.

So there's hope if you're in the same situation as I was. You may not have been forgotten!

10. marlin

marlin Star commenter

11. pineapplehead

pineapplehead New commenter

Am also in a similar position to OP. Was interviewed on Monday. Was told that the successful candidate would be 'phoned on Monday evening or possibly Tuesday morning and that the unsuccessful ones would be contacted by letter. Am still waiting for some kind of communication either way. It is frustrating and also, imo, rude and unprofessional.

12. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

I think sometimes in these situations you may be second choice. If first choice doesn't accept straight away they keep second choice hanging just in case. When you get a late rejection call it may be that first choice has just accepted. I'm just guessing though.

I do think not calling interviewees is exceptionally rude though. I once waited 2 weeks to get a rejection letter! Obviously by that point I knew but I thought it was so rude. I also think not emailing non short listed people is rude. Yes, it takes time. However, that person spent hours applying to the school. The least the school can do is send out a group email saying they'd been unsuccessful.

13. scienceteacha

scienceteacha New commenter

I have always advocated it should be LAW for prospective employers to let prospective employees know about whether they have got shortlisted, and indeed basic courtesy dictates that anyone who goes to interview is actually told ASAP whether they are successful or not. To not do so for the former, on the basis of 'cost' - oh come on, a group e-mail is FREE, for the latter, it boils down to simple cowardice. Doesn't just make y blood boil this one, it actually turns it into a plasma lol!!!!!

14. hannamarie

hannamarie New commenter

I agree wholeheartedly. I had an interview yesterday and they said they would let people know that evening or today at the latest and I still have't heard anything, despite calling the school and trying to speak to someone. I feel so low at this point and I know I'm running out of time before the end of my PGCE. I can't believe that after 4 years and £25 000 worth of debt that I'm going to have to sign on in a few weeks. What was the point?

PR1NCESS likes this.
  15. missdarling

God, hannamarie, that is just so rough. I've just had my 3rd interview today, and was told th at they weren't giving me the job because they 'felt it would be doing me a disservice' ! It is hard to keep going, and I know there are people on here who have had far more interviews than I have, but you just have to keep at it because otherwise your £25000 really is worth nothing at all. I obviously don't know your situation, but I figure that I can live on JSA for a few months, however much I don't want to do that, and that after this half term break at least we won't be up against be many people with more experience than us.
    I really hope you hear back tomorrow, even if it's to say no, just so feel you've got some respect from them. It would be nice to hear from heads in reply to this to explain why it might be that they would keep people waiting over 36 hours. As someone said earlier, it might be that you're second choice and they're waiting to hear back from the first choice, but that doesn't make it much better... Whatever happens, keep your chin up and keep applying because the right job is out there for both of us! Xxx

16. The worst one I ever had was when a school told everyone they would only call the successful candidate and if we hadn't heard by 6 we hadn't been chosen.

The second worse was when I was told they would be happy to provide feedback if I called, so I called... and called ... and called. No response.

Have an interview tomorrow though so we keep plodding on.

17. Had interview yesterday. Waited all day today for the call. Got it at 9:20pm!!!! Got the job :D