1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Waiting 2 weeks since interview for a decision...

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Lilysowner, Jun 28, 2019.

  1. Lilysowner

    Lilysowner New commenter

    hi all,

    I need to know what to do in this situation. I went for an interview exactly 3 Fridays ago today. In the interview the Head warned me that they had some candidates who couldn’t make it on the day (we found out about the interview at 5:20pm the previous day so not surprising) therefore she might not be able to get back to me until the following Tuesday. Not ideal but I said fair enough.
    Well, two whole weeks have passed and I still haven’t been told if I’ve been offered the role or not. There were 2 out of 3 candidates left after the lesson round but 4 vacancies to fill. Also, I worked here before for two years a couple of years ago. After that Tuesday passed I emailed a letter she’d requested and she replied apologising for the delay explaining they were still interviewing and that she should have a decision by the end of that Friday (last Friday). No phone call. Follow up communications sent this week:
    1. I sent an email to check all was well on Monday.
    2. left a phone message on Tuesday with reception who were told she was off site for a meeting
    3. Phoned but got no answer on Wednesday.
    4. On a Thursday left a voicemail message with the School Business Manager who had contacted me about the interview and a message for the Head with reception who again were told that she was attending an off site meeting
    5. Today Friday I sent an email to the Head’s inbox
    There is a dearth of suitable job vacancies within travelling distance in my area so it’s not like I can ignore this and get a job elsewhere. With each message I have been as courteous and kind as possible but surely being ignored for two weeks when I was promised a decision 2 Tuesdays ago then again last Friday is pure rudeness, is it not? How shall I move forwards on this? I was genuinely impressed with this Headteacher and all she has done for that school. My nerves have been utterly shredded with the uncertainty of my future.

    Context Info: Me: 19 years teaching experience, inner city secondary core subject, UPS1, current contract is temporary and can’t be renewed. School I interviewed for judged as Requires Improvement over the last 2 OFSTEDs and has struggled to recruit and retain for years.
  2. bonxie

    bonxie Senior commenter

    I can't help but think they'd have already contacted you if they wanted to offer you the job. Schools usually do this ASAP to make sure that the candidate they want doesn't accept another job elsewhere.
    I suggest you keep looking for other jobs in your area or consider moving elsewhere.
  3. thejudgesscoresarein

    thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

    I agree with other posters, if they wanted to employ you, they would have contacted you by now. You can chase it up, but I think the chances are they would have filled the positions- there is no harm in continuing to ask, but it’s whether you have the time and energy to do this.
    As a Headteacher myself, I usually tend to let applicants know within 3 working days after the interview the outcome, unless it’s peak recruitment season and I’ve got a number of vacancies to fill.
  4. frustum

    frustum Star commenter

    Either (1) they are hopelessly disorganised, (2) they are still interviewing and not polite enough to keep you informed, (3) there's something major going on (takeover by another school?) that means appointments are on hold for some reason, (4) they don't want you and aren't polite enough to say so, or (5) they don't think they want you, but they don't actually want to say so because there's a possibility someone is going to pull out and they might need you.
    Obviously you keep looking for other work - you're under no obligation to still be available if they've messed you around this long. If you get an interview elsewhere, but you'd prefer this one, drop them a line to let them know - that would probably get them organised if they do want you. As might "If I don't hear from you within the next 24 hours, I'll assume that I'm not being offered a post, and go ahead with booking a holiday in September."
  5. caterpillartobutterfly

    caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

    I would be very unimpressed with the head, if I'd been treated the way you have.

    And a school which has struggled to recruit and retain for years is definitely not going to be a good place to work!

    I think you are best off out of there...a vacancy for a core subject in secondary shouldn't be terribly hard to find, unless you live in the Outer Hebrides or similar.

    SUPER.SUPPLY Occasional commenter

    Run for the bloody hills. It sounds exactly like the first school i worked in when i relocated county. It sets a precedent. Everyone is hard up at the moment to recruit so there is something wrong there with so much indecision.
    Lilysowner, agathamorse and freckle06 like this.
  7. SparkMaths

    SparkMaths Occasional commenter

    A job interview is a two way street. Have they not failed their job interview with you?

    I had two schools do this to me last year for the first time in my career and I didn't even bother following up with them because it's a red flag that something is wrong at the school.
    Lilysowner likes this.
  8. FriarLawrence

    FriarLawrence Occasional commenter

    I went for an interview with an independent girls' school a couple of months ago. During the process, they extended the deadline twice after my interview, the headteacher clearly couldn't be bothered and hardly asked a single question about my skills or experience (the "interview" with her lasted 5 mins), and eventually sent me a cursory email with the then-inevitable rejection two and a half weeks later.

    They never responded to or acknowledged my request for feedback.

    The long and the short of this story is this: when somebody tells you who they are, believe them. I'm delighted not to be working for an organisation that would treat me this way.
    Lilysowner and ViolaClef like this.
  9. snowfairy

    snowfairy New commenter

    I had an interview at an all girls boarding school in february. Due to being on a supply contract I lost a days pay to attend. Told I'd hear at the end of the week...... nothing. Finally phoned after 2 weeks asking for some feedback but the HR office were at lunch... Got a letter after 3 weeks dated the day before saying I hadn't got it with no feedback.

    I think its incredibly rude when you have taken time off work, prepared a lesson etc for them not to bother to let you know in a timely manner....... am glad not to be working there!
    Lilysowner and ViolaClef like this.
  10. ViolaClef

    ViolaClef Lead commenter

    I agree with you. The interview process, as @SparkMaths says, is a two way street. It’s also an opportunity for the school to do a brilliant PR job so the unsuccessful candidates will say to other people what a lovely school it was and how they would have loved to have worked there. They will only do this if they were treated well. It’s appalling that schools treat interviewees so badly and keep people waiting so long. Lucky escapes all round, I think!
  11. CWadd

    CWadd Star commenter

    I think you need to cut your losses, and stop contacting them.

    I'm really not impressed with this HT (if she's reading this, Hi - you're welcome!) If the school has spent two OFSTEDs as RI that means she's not as good as you think - or if she's been brought in as a change agent, the fact the school is struggling to recruit implies that her way has alienated a lot of staff, both old timers and newcomers. The fact she's continually off site suggests the school is rather too dependent on external agencies and also, crucially, she's unlikely to ever be there.

    Move on. Please.

Share This Page