1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wages

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by KleeG88, Oct 5, 2018.

1. KleeG88

KleeG88 New commenter

I’m not sure if this has been covered anywhere but, I have looked around a few different sites and I just wanted some ideas really. I am the ‘Head’ of the nursery class in the school I work at. It is a private school and I have worked there 12 years in October/November time.

I am only a level 3 but i have worked myself up from being part time to full time in the 3-4 year old room for about 6 years, then added to that I became the holiday club coordinator; I was the 2 year old room supervisor for 2 years and then I went back to the 3-4 year old room to cover maternity leave and I officially took over and I’m in my 4th year of being the ‘nursery manager’, although my title is the head of the room.

My question is, is there an ideal range of wage I should be on? With it being part of a private school I do not do the admissions, wages etc. Although i do everything else. I teach the children more than what I have gathered other nurseries do in my area, as we have quite high standards, although with me being level 3, i don’t have the Early Years teaching status. I feel I should be on more than I am, as I do a lot, particularly a lot at home. I am under £15,000.

With it being a private school, a lot of people have the misconception that the staff must also have ‘money’. Most of the money earned from the students does go on staff wages, but I feel the early years does not take up much of that.

I hate asking for anything. It is a business and numbers vary year after year, but I feel I should be on more than that? Everything I see online says over £17,000.

I just wondered if the £15,000 sounded okay or if I should be asking for more? I have no experience elsewhere so I have no idea really.

2. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

I would say it depends on the hours you work and if this is pro data to take account of often longer holidays private schools have . It is pretty low if you're working 37 hour week but you will find pvi managers on similar or a bit more . They often supplement with other jobs of holiday schemes .
    Ask for a pay review, or an hourly rate, and if you are still not happy you might start looking elsewhere.